Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

Picked up new 2014 matte grey 650, owned 2003 model but stolen :-(

My first niggle mirrors anybody have any suggestions on modifying them can't see as you now due to elbow/brake levers/fingers in the way very frustrating when leading a ride.

From memory my old one engaged the clutch really early like 1200-1500rpm where new one is more like 2500-3000rpm, and jumps to hi ratio earlier not a big issue just a bit of throttle and it revs up but feels like motors not happy I know I could go power mode but that goes to far the other way and manual I guess but don't what to be playing the buttons in traffic.

Seat will have to what and see if I settle into it!

Overall love this thing, love it more after first service got 380klms in the first day.

Greg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep and it will get better mileage than the pervious ones and not be nearly as abrupt on the throttle. Hopefully more reliable too.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm also a ride leader for my club and keeping an eye on everyone in the group behind me can be a challenge. While I don't get delivery of my new 650 until 6 weeks from now I've already got the solution that I've used on other bikes I've owned.

Basically, they are mirrors made by Twisted Throttle that use a RAM mount. So I've already got ready to install two brake reservoir covers from Motorcycle Larry (the double ball ones) and will mount a pair of these mirrors. As they are RAM mount, I can go to my local dealer and pick up whatever length RAM arm I need to put the mirror where I need it. The other ball will be for a GPS or phone mount. Should solve the problem and be easily removable if I choose not to have them on when not ride leading.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/adventure-mirror-doubletake-mirror

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_65&products_id=149&zenid=rkpsttmvm7dk1p59jcskvm4b06

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a 2011 L1 model and when the new L3 model was introduced I test rode it on a Suzuki touring dealer day. I too did not like the higher 'gear' ratio at 30 mph, it was labouring. I put it in manual to eliminate it and noticed it was showing 4th, therefore was in 5th in D mode as in my experience it drops one 'gear' on the M\D change. On my return and riding my L1 model it was smooth a 30 mph and on manual it showed 3rd, so was in 4th at 30 mph in D. The Suzuki rep who was riding this new Burgman most of the time, agreed that he too puts it in manual to eliminate the same issue. All I can assume is that they revised the ratios to get closer to the better 15% fuel consumption and was the main reason that I did not upgrade, but I do like the revised styling.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So is that TT mirror actually designed to fit in the stock mirror brackets like on a 400 using the ram kit? And you are adapting it w/ the brake res mount? I would be interested to know how you like the mirror and if there is vibration.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I didn't have any vibration on my old bike (SYM RV-250) but one thing is that I run the larger windshield so the mirror is not getting the full wind blast. This does keep things smoother. Not sure what would happen if it was out in the full windspeed with the stock shield. I had a handlebar RAM mount on the old bike and because of the Burgman design with the handlebar cover, I'm going to the RAM mount on the brake reservoir this time. Will post photos and let you know how it all works out once my riding season gets here. (Spring, where are you?)
But heck, at less than $25 bucks per mirror it's not a huge investment to try it out and see what happens.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Steve_ ZZY,

Interesting idea not sure if it would fowl the screen on full lock, was thinking something attached to the oem mirror or reversing camera on all the time.

The ram mounts I was thinking for GPS.

bornagainbiker,

Yes that's what my does switch to manual and it shifts to 4th.

Greg

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Going to try this one, suction cup and the clip if I'm lucky may fit on the edge of the oem housing

Greg

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
. . . and jumps to hi ratio earlier not a big issue just a bit of throttle and it revs up but feels like motors not happy I know I could go power mode but that goes to far the other way and manual I guess but don't what to be playing the buttons in traffic.

Greg
I'm experiencing the same issue - at low speeds, especially on a hill, it feels like it's in too high a gear and there is a definite vibration until throttle is applied. It's really noticeable in the canyons where I experience a lack of torque coming out of slow, tight turns.

I'm having my 600 mile service done this week and I'm going to have the mechanic take a look - but I have a feeling it is what it is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem with my mirrors when i first got the bike,but after getting used to them, i find that they are great now, and would not have them any other way, so just try to be patient with them, then you will love them.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The SpeedoHealer wouldn't make sense for its original purpose because of the ridiculously coarse 0-130MPH scale on a 95 MPH scooter, but its side effect of making the engine rev more for the same speed might be the ticket for L13 and L14 owner disagreeing with Suzuki's engineers.
If you set the SpeedoHealer to deduct 5% from the speed signal, the revs vs. speed will rise accordingly.
Full speedo correction at minus 9.x% will probably raise the revs too much for most riders' taste.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts