Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

New Burgman with Sidecar

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Chickenman 
#1 ·
I have been lurking about reading posts to the form and have found it very interesting and helpful. Thanks especially to those of you who have posted maintenance tips--helped get me through the 600 mile checkup! I purchased a Burgman about 2 months ago and had a Velorex sidecar attached by Doug Bingham. I've noticed a fair amount of interest in the sidecar/trike setup, so I thought I'd let you all know how its worked for me.

Since I know from reading the sidecar postings that people are curious as to why a sidecar (or trike conversion), I'll tell you that for me it has to do with a disability that requires me to use a wheelchair. But I'll also say it is a blast, particularly if you want to give a ride to a kid or a dog, as I often do. It is, of course, quite a different style of riding, and has its own appeal. In the past I've ridden motorcycles quite a bit, and one thing I enjoy is the versatility and the ease of riding with a sidecar. Its a bit more relaxing than I remember two wheels being. In any case, I'll try and figure out how to post some pictures soon so you can all check it out.

Brad

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement. I have the fat Blue 650 ('03)--need all the horsies I can get to move that sidecar up and over the hills of North County, San Diego--although as I understand it Armec makes their sidecars for the 400 only.

I found the '03 sitting around a dealer in Los Angeles, and got a pretty fair price--paid about $6400.

If someone can give me an idea of how to post pics I'll get some up.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Alright, I've posted a couple of pics of my Burgman with the sidecar. As I mentioned, one of the benefits is a comfy, fairly safe ride for dog and kid (see pic).

Wayne (and others who might be thinking about a sidecar), here's a few things to consider. The sidecars that I know of that are made for scooters in the US are produced by the Texas Sidecar Co., and by Armec--you can look at either of them on the web. However, I imagine that most smaller sidecars could be mounted to a Burgman and there are a few European models made specifically for scooters as well. In any case, the real issue is not finding a sidecar, but finding a way to mount it--most mounts are made to fit motorcycle frames. The mounts on mine were made custom by Doug Bingham at Sidestrider near Los Angeles. Its not all that easy to find someone willing to do the mounting, as there are liability issues that scare off many. I was told by a couple of companies that they flat out wouldn't mount one on a scooter because of liability concerns.

That said, if you are really interested you might start by contacting the Texas Sidecar Co., and see if they have developed a mounting kit for the Burgman. You can also take a look at their online images to see if you like the look. I believe I read that they were in the process of this, but so far their focus seems to be the Silverwing. The mounts that I have do not allow for the car to be easily removed, and therefore I wouldn't recommend my setup for anyone not willing to commit to a sidecar setup full time.

One more thing to think about is the cost--it ain't cheap! I believe I spent about the minimum amount without doing the install myself. I spent about $1800 on the Velorex, $500 for an upgraded wheel & suspension, and $500 for the custom install. With taxes it came out to about $3200. The Velorex is about the least expensive sidecar on the market, so expect to spend more if you buy another brand.

Hope I haven't completely deterred anyone and everyone! If I have, check out the pictures and you might find it too cool to resist.

Brad

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Yes, the upgraded wheel & shock was on the sidecar. I did the 600 mile service, but I'm not sure I will want to tackle bigger jobs. Hopefully, I'll be able to get service if I need it. If not, I'll have to go through the hassle of disconnecting it (it can be done, just not quickly).

Discussion starter · #21 ·
Thanks again for all the kind words & welcome. As for Norman's question about the cargo netting, its there mainly incase my gimpy foot slips off! (When I take the dog, he's double leashed).

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Hey Chickenman,

I think the dampner is pretty essential. While there are some sidecar setups without it, you risk running into some dangerous wobbles without it. I've read of people without it who did not have any steering problems until they hit 70-something mph. Not a good time to have your frontwheel get squirrely! I can tell you that with it I have no problem at all with vibration.

As for the sidecar wheel, Doug told me that the spoked wheel that came with the Velorex was not very sturdy and would sit the sidecar up higher. I'm not sure how much of a problem the height would be, but it makes sense that you would gain stability with a sidecar sitting lower to the ground--particularly if you plan to ride with it empty much of the time.

BTW, I came across a picture on the net of another Burgman 650 with a Velorex sidecar. Unfortunately, I lost track of the site it came from and haven't been able to relocate it . As far as I could see , it had a more traditional attachment (at least three points of connection) and kept the spoked wheel that comes with the Velorex. If I find it again, I'll send it to you.

Remember, you have an open invitation to come by and check mine out anytime.

Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.