Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, after decades of pottering around Brisbane / Australia on Italian scooters I finally bought a well looked after Burgman 400 K7. It is extremely comfortable and altogether a wonderful machine, but I am somewhat disappointed by the slow " get up and go". I do realize this is a heavier scooter but my Aprilia SR Max 300 will leave this for dead on take off. The Burgman will catch up once it gets mobile at higher speeds. Are the Burgman AN400 generally this sluggish from stop or is there something I should look at? The Scooter has been well maintained and has not done a lot of miles ( 14,900km).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sorry mate, but I believe that's a K8. They came in blue in '07. Red was their deviant color in 08 (apart from Suzuki's standard black, grey or white).

They're a little slow in stock form, but never bothered me. She pulls well up to red line. But if you don't like it, you can fool around with the clutch and replace the rollers with sliders. Easy and cheap enough to do.

But my recommendation is to keep her stock and don't baby her off the line. Give her a good handful of throttle from the start to get the clutch engaged quickly and prevent the pads from glazing. Adjust your speed once you get going.

Congratulations and Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Not sure what colors were available in OZ for '07 or '08,
but if you have only a single headlight on Low Beam,
you may have an '07...it was the only year we got some
of those.
A set of Dr Pulley sliders in the variator in place of the
stock rollers, will do wonders for your 'get-up-&-go'.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You need lighter rollers or sliders in the variator (15 - 17 g) -- the best performance mod for the wallet. If your willing to spend more, next one would be the clutch. Tuning up the latter allows to do wheelies, although going that far is not recommended because machine is simply not designed for that.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Welcome!

Slow is relative! The Burgman is heavy and that does slow it down. Also Aprilia is a sport bike company with FAST scoots, perhaps the fastest. These two scoots are built from two different mindsets. The SR Max is for sporty handling and speed and the Burg for general duty and light touring. As others have stated you can tune the CVT for better acceleration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts