Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As first reported here on Motorcycle.com, the new 2014 Suzuki Burgman 200 scooter to the U.S. market. We’ve known about the 200cc version of the Burgman since June when it received an executive order from the California Air Resources Board, and last month, Suzuki unveiled the new scooter along with a new 125cc version in France. Suzuki Motor of America decided to wait for the 2013 AIMExpo in Orlando before officially confirming the Burgman 200 is heading State-side.

Despite being a smaller version of the familiar 400 and 650 models, the Burgman 200 is freeway legal in most places, and offers a spacious 41 liters of underseat storage, enough to fit two full-face helmets. If that isn’t enough, two front storage compartments offer room for smaller items such as a cell phone which can also be charged from the convenient 12V DC outlet.:binky:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
As first reported here on Motorcycle.com, the new 2014 Suzuki Burgman 200 scooter to the U.S. market. We’ve known about the 200cc version of the Burgman since June when it received an executive order from the California Air Resources Board, and last month, Suzuki unveiled the new scooter along with a new 125cc version in France. Suzuki Motor of America decided to wait for the 2013 AIMExpo in Orlando before officially confirming the Burgman 200 is heading State-side.

Despite being a smaller version of the familiar 400 and 650 models, the Burgman 200 is freeway legal in most places, and offers a spacious 41 liters of underseat storage, enough to fit two full-face helmets. If that isn’t enough, two front storage compartments offer room for smaller items such as a cell phone which can also be charged from the convenient 12V DC outlet.:binky:
There are more very small displacement scooters sold around the world than any other gas-powered 2 wheeled vehicles. Most of Honda's 2 wheeled vehicles are small displacement 125cc & 200cc scooters.....

I found the latest financial report for Honda Motors which gives a breakdown of sales by country and engine displacement.........

LINK: http://world.honda.com/investors/library/annual_report/2011/honda2011ar-all-e.pdf

·
Registered
363 Posts
Aimexpo

I was at the Aimexpo in Orlando on Saturday and Suzuki had a very nice display complete with and assortment of models if you know what i mean:cool:. They did have the 200 displayed along with the new Vstrom 1000 and the models of both scooters and motorcycles already in the line. I talked with a gentleman who was from corporate in California who said he was theDirector of PR and marketing. Seemed very knowledgable. I asked why always gray, black, or white colors. He smiled and said it was almost as if they got a volume paint deal on those colors. He said they are encouraging Japan to add more color and used the new Vstrom as an example of change[ three colors available ]. He was well aware of the CVT controversy on the 650 and said engineering have been making improvements since the 2004 model year. He used the longer CVT stopper bolt in newer models as an example. He then went on to suggest { I am no technician so can not explain further ] that there was some sort of bolt on the other side of the housing that was coming loose with vibration that the engineers became aware of and made corrections to in past models to eliminate the problem.
All in all a nice display with corporate people on the floor representing Suzuki.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The 200 as been on sale in the UK for a few years but they are dropping it this year.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Well, if the UK doesn't want them, we'll take a few over here on this side of the pond! :)

Seriously, I've got a use for a 200cc bike, and really like the mini-maxi-scoot form factor.

More to the point, in much of the U.S. (and at least in California) the licensing distinction between "scooter" and "motorcycle" no longer exists. Anything that isn't a moped or its Rube Goldberg equivalent, or a self-propelled push-scooter, requires a full motorcycle license. This removes the regulatory advantages of small scooters, so it comes down to functionality. 200cc is about the minimum engine needed for acceptable freeway use*, and there's not much weight, cost, or complexity to be saved by using a smaller engine than that.

(While air-cooled scooter engines can be lighter and simpler, in practice they're limited to about 200cc -- and have diminishing returns above about 150cc.)

*i.e.: not being a 2-wheeled rolling roadblock. 150cc is the legal minimum in California (marginal but possible with caution); 200cc should let you run comfortably with (but not faster than) freeway traffic.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have only ever seen one 200, it looked and sounded fine, it was being ridden by a young woman, she we off to the Lake district a round trip of about 150 miles from her home, she was very happy with her 200, I would think the motor is more or less un-breakable so you can use near all of its power most of the time, I've done 100 mile trips on a 100cc scoot near flat out all the way without problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts