Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Too good to pass up! 2007 Burgman 650

4,319 miles, with Givi windshield, Givi top box, backrest (Jac Vinson?)

Older gentlemen hanging up his helmet:(

Circle of life, right?

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
255 Posts
Good looking scoot. The back rest looks like the one that's sold on Ebay from the guy out of Austin. Be interested in what you think of the backrest as I am contemplating buying one.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
The back rest looks like the one that's sold on Ebay from the guy out of Austin.

That is a Jac Vinson buttstop/backrest conversion.
I've had mine since Aug. of '05. Wouldn't be without it.
Jac is in Austin.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hey, I saw this on the MaxiScooter board. Good to see you signed up here as well.

Again, great deal on the 650 with all those nice extras. The seller has good tastes.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Wow I think the last time my scooter was that clean was the day I bought it. Nice find and good looking.:D

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
White is a color....
the lack of color is black...
as in the black hole of the universe...

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
lack of color is black...
as in the black hole of the universe...
But a black hole swallows up light so is it really black? :D

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Congratulation on new purchase.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congratulations! That's a good looking bike and I hope you really enjoy it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yup, feel VERY fortunate to find it and be 1st in line to get it! Shook it down yesterday for 180 miles and it performed great.

I like white. Yesterday I noticed that in the sun it's got that sparkley glit to it. Way cool.

The backrest IS very functional. Not crazy about how it looks though. To me function is more important that form.

Now, my 1st question. About all those buttons on the left handle/grip area. Geez! {on my 400 you just twist and go} On my ride yesterday I mostly just let it do it's thing. I did put in Power Mode on bigger hills and twisties. That is probably how I'll use it unless somebody here tells me different.

My main question and or fear is about the shift on the go aspects of the SCEVT. Can you shift/activate any button anytime? Read some post by doing search and am now just confused. Don't wanna harm that sweet/smooth transmission.

The little yellow button with a D and some other letter on it .... the D is for Drive as in Automatic right? Oh, and the other letter is M? Stands for manual as for use with up shifting and down shifting manually, right? The owner's manual not all that helpful. But I know you guys will be. Thanks in advance!

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep. You can shift into manual or auto at any time. The D and M stand for just that, Drive and Manual.
When in manual, it will not let you shift too high for your current speed. The speed indicator will just flash if you try. It will also down shift automatically when you slow down if you do not do it. If you come to a stop in manual, it will be in first when you are ready to take off again but, it will STAY in first and rev. the crud out of you engine until you shift up. (I have been caught by that once or twice.)

Use the power switch any way you like. Just remember, with great power, comes great fuel usage...

Kim

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Another thing you will notice if you leave it in manual mode when slowing down there wouldn't be as much engine braking as in drive. You can shift it into M when stopped and it will push easier with engine running or shut off. Once you restart the engine it will default back to D mode. ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Me. being a relative newbie here, one of the things I learned from this forum is when you're running down the road at highway speeds for extended distances. Once up to speed shift the bike into manual then shift it up into 6th( overdrive) you'll see about a 600 rpm drop while maintaining your speed. Great for gas mileage and wear and tear on your engine. Thanks to everyone that gave me that splendid piece of advice.
Greg

·
Registered
426 Posts
Me. being a relative newbie here, one of the things I learned from this forum is when you're running down the road at highway speeds for extended distances. Once up to speed shift the bike into manual then shift it up into 6th( overdrive) you'll see about a 600 rpm drop while maintaining your speed. Great for gas mileage and wear and tear on your engine. Thanks to everyone that gave me that splendid piece of advice.
Greg
I do something similar myself when running speeds under the set point where the CVT automatically activates or engages the OD (sixth 'gear').

The Burgy650 from K5 onward come equipped standard with the OD (overdrive) automatically shifts into OD when one is riding approx 110km/h+ at a constant speed/REVs. However if one presses the button from D (drive) into M (manual) mode at this speed/REVs provided that the speed/REVs is constant, it appears that the scoot is only running in fifth, however this is not so. The scoot will automatically 'change down' into 'fifth' when the M button is activated (when the CVT was already in OD). Careful attention to the REVs, feel and sound of the scoot will confirm that it indeed was already running in OD or 'sixth' prior to activation of the M mode.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, good weather and a reprieve in my schedule permitted me to ride a good bit toward the end of of week. Got in over 600 miles Thurs-Saturday. I think I got all those buttons on the left side handle bar figured out. Mainly, I just let it do it's thing.... That's why I like a scooter- no shift! Found the Power Mode to be a nice feature though. Using it on hills, curves, twistees, passing etc. I doubt I'll use the manual mode. Kinda defeats the purpose of a scooter to me.

I was pleased to get 51, 52, and 53 mpg on the first three fill ups. Pretty modest riding except that one time I used all the throttle:D

As much as I loved and was totally impressed with my '06 400, this is quite the upgrade. Both great machines but kinda like going from a Honda Civic to a Honda Accord:)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
My 400 is my go-to, day to day ride. It's my trusty, loyal mutt that I love and it loves me back in the form playful fun. The 650 is another animal: It's a purebred that demands a bit more attention and respect, but rewards me with adventures - cruising the Pacific shores, winding through distant mountain passes and twisting redwood forest roads.

The 400 is a romp in the dog park. The 650 is the finals in the Westminster Kennel Club. Two different kind of highs. Right now I'm lucky to have both.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts