Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the oil filter #. I would like to change the oil early to get the metal out of the engine. I love this bike and must take perfect care of it so I can get many miles out of it. Also have I read the transmission takes 10w40 as well as the engine. Thanks I need the number so I can cross it at the auto parts store so I don't have to pay 5 times as much at the steeler. Is it ready for synthetic yet.

·
Registered
822 Posts
List price on the 650 oil filter is around $11. You can get it for around $8. Where you get ripped off is having the dealer do the labor. Get the filter at your dealer and change it out yourself. You can order it online at azmotorsports for $8.01 at this link:
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/n ... otorsports

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
chuck807 said:
Where you get ripped off is having the dealer do the labor. Get the filter at your dealer and change it out yourself.
I wouldn't say you're getting "ripped off" (depending on the dealer); they have a right to make a profit like any other business. But if you are able to do the work yourself and like doing it, then -- sure -- why not save a few bucks.

It should be remembered, though, that if the oil change is being done to schedule then there are other items the service department is -- or should be -- doing at the same time: inspecting/tightening bolts, inspecting/changing air & CVT filters, etc. One look at your owner's manual shows a fairly extensive list.

My time is valuable to me, so I don't mind paying my dealer's service professionals to do this kind of work, provided they do it according to established standards and practices. So far, my dealer has; but other's here have reported problems at some shops.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Dealer only. And I found it difficult to get from them. (Took over a month.) I used a strap wrench for the first oil change. I wouldn't recommend it. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry meant to say need oil filter # for 400 Burgman

Thanks for all the info on earlier post. I forgot to state oil filter for the 400 burger. Also where does everyones temp guage run? Mine runs straight up and never moves. I guess thats normal.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
I think Ron Ayers could get it for you if you know the part number...
The Part Numer for the 650's filter wrench is 09915-40610.

I don't know if 400s use the same filter.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The 400 uses a cartridge type; you take the cover off, pull out the old one and insert new. Owners manual call for replacing 2 O rings each time; one goes on inside of filter, the other on the cover. I can't see the need for replacing the large one on the cover; my 4 cyl airplane motor has similar O rings on the valve covers and after two years..and having been off many times, none have leaked. You have to buy the O rings separate. The filter is about $7 from your dealer, don't know what Ron Ayers charge. I bought several K&N's and they were $6 plus shipping, mainly because my dealer told me they were $11....recently said "oh that was for a 650". Will probably get them from the dealer from now on.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I took a new AN650 filter over to an auto parts store and fit it to a wrench cap in the store.

The auto parts store filter cap was only a few dollars compared to
Suzuki's $15+ price.

---

My AN400's oil cartridge filter cover won't leak as long as I clean the mating surfaces
and dab a film of oil onto the 'O' ring before placing it back down into
the recessed channel at the cover.

An indication that the cover "O' ring is not completely sealing is that after
the first few rides after having done the oil change, the housing around the
seal will mist with small amounts of oil. This may stop itself.

Remember to tighten the AN400 filter cover only enough to keep the bolts
on as the oil seal is mostly done by 'O' ring contact. The recessed channel
for the 'O' ring prevents compression damage if the cover bolts are
over torqued.

I keep an extra small 'O' ring to compare with the cartridge shaft one
each time I change the oil. As long as the small 'O' ring doesn't compress
or crack, I continue to use the old one.

See this post>
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=495
It has pictures and part numbers for doing AN400 oil changes.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Sorry meant to say need oil filter # for 400 Burgman

Mark Mettler said:
Also where does everyones temp guage run? Mine runs straight up and never moves. I guess thats normal.
Mark,

99% of the time mine is also straight up. The only time mine has gone over was on a very hot day sitting in a traffic jam and it went up another 10%. Once I started moving, it dropped back to normal.

·
Registered
240 Posts
captainfish said:
does azmotorsports also have the special oil filter tool?
Or is that a dealer sold item?
I got my oil wrench from Pepboys for about $9 -- much better quality than you can get from Walmart.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Brian said:
My time is valuable to me, so I don't mind paying my dealer's service professionals to do this kind of work...
That is why I change oil myself instead of riding 20 minutes one way and wait another hour. For my cars, on the other hand, I take them to Walmart on weekday afternoons. I get to buy all kinds of useless stuff during that 45-minute wait. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts