Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at buying a new burgman 650 for myself and maybe a 400 for my wife. My consern is the fact that I had to sell my 01 Suzuki Katana 600 because I was rear ended in my car, and it was too uncomfortable to ride my Katana. I felt I sold part of my life. Will I have a problem with the Burgman 650? Also my wife is 4'11 and feels that she will be too short for the 400. Is this true? 8)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forum. Many of our members have switched to Burgmans from motorcycles with no regrets. I own both, and ride the Burgman more frequently. You will like the large tail lights and turn signals in the rear for obvious reasons. I also added a Givi trunk on mine which has an additional set of tail lights on it.

As for your wife, it would be helpful to know how long her legs are (inseam measurement). We do have some 5'1" 400 riders, some of them women, and I'm sure they can help with that question. There is also the possibility of getting her boots with higher soles too, which can add an inch or two to her leg reach.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
H-Man said:
...My consern is the fact that I had to sell my 01 Suzuki Katana 600 because I was rear ended in my car, and it was too uncomfortable to ride my Katana.
The Burgman, with its upright, "touring cycle" riding position is pretty comfortable, although it can be a little harsh over potholes due to the smallish tire size (15 front, 14 rear -- bigger than most scooters, but smaller than most regular bikes).

If you can, see if a dealer near you can set up a test ride for you so you can see for sure if you're able to ride without undue discomfort.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
There are also some things that can be done to improve the ride of the Burgman 650 over bumps. I have Ikon rear shocks on mine that have progressive springs and adjustable damping - they help. Others here have changed the weight of the oil in the front forks with good results.

If your main issue with the Katana was riding position, you'll probably like the Burgman. Brian is correct though - a 15" wheel just will not roll over a bump as smoothly as a 19" wheel.

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
If sudden "shock" bothers your back, a gel pad works great. Like the gell pads for shoes they do absorb sudden shocks. You can get them in many style and sizes, many aftermarket companys offer them, I bought 2, you can remove them any time very quickly, when you want to.

I liked them so much I installed them internally in my seat.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi H-man and welcome to the forum. I hope you and the Mrs. are able to get Burgmans soon. As others have stated the upright sitting position is more favourable , not to mention the various feet positions as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts