Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name is Jim and I’m a New 2005 Burgman 650 owner, been a long time HD rider and due to health issues I no longer ride my HD’s very much or my Dual Sport bikes they sit more then move and I was looking for something that I could ride and be comfortable on and after months of looking I came across a used 2005 Burgman 650 with 26k on it, it has sat out in the sun by the looks of it and it also took a ride down the road on its right side, it starts right up and runs down the road just fine but it has its cosmetic issues that I will fix as time goes on, the P.O did put a used front fender on it and a tall windshield but there is still more to do although he did give me a new right leg guard that is on the way from a supplier in Italy and should be here in a couple weeks. Going to give the seat and plastic a good cleaning and go from there, I do have a new left dash door and handle on order for it.
Looking to learn as much as possible about the Burgman and I plan on doing some road trips and bike camping with it. Here it is wanting some TLC.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Welcome Mate,

You’ve come to the right place.

Bookmark this treasure chest for the B650:

Reactions: Imold

·
Premium Member
17,341 Posts
You will def learn a lot about the burgy here, and some stuff about wimmins and wine and sangin, but you can pretty much believe the stuff about the bike, do the emergency seat release mod, you will be glad you did if you ever need it.
Welcome , from Florida

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will def learn a lot about the burgy here, and some stuff about wimmins and wine and sangin, but you can pretty much believe the stuff about the bike, do the emergency seat release mod, you will be glad you did if you ever need it.
Welcome , from Florida
I’ll look it up so I know what to do but as of right now it doesn’t latch so I need to look into both those items, Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome. I have same bike with same mileage. Bought mine last fall. I just did all the easy maintenance on it...oil, tranny and gearbox fluids and filters. Also look into CVT bolt replacement. These will give you a fresh start baseline towards regular maintenance cycles going forward.

Best of luck. I’m sure you’ll fall in love with the Bergie in no time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome. I have same bike with same mileage. Bought mine last fall. I just did all the easy maintenance on it...oil, tranny and gearbox fluids and filters. Also look into CVT bolt replacement. These will give you a fresh start baseline towards regular maintenance cycles going forward.

Best of luck. I’m sure you’ll fall in love with the Bergie in no time.
I looked at a few other makes of these bikes and for some reason I kept going back to the Burgman, guess there is just something about it that I subconsciously liked but anyway the P.O did do tranny and gearbox fluid change and oil last fall but I am going to do the oil again being I never asked him what he used but think I’ll go with Lucas 10-40 like I run in my KLR650. I’ll look into the CVT bolt replacement being I have no clue if it’s been done and a new set of tires is on my do list also, right now the tires are about half warn.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,170 Posts
I looked at a few other makes of these bikes and for some reason I kept going back to the Burgman, guess there is just something about it that I subconsciously liked but anyway the P.O did do tranny and gearbox fluid change and oil last fall but I am going to do the oil again being I never asked him what he used but think I’ll go with Lucas 10-40 like I run in my KLR650. I’ll look into the CVT bolt replacement being I have no clue if it’s been done and a new set of tires is on my do list also, right now the tires are about half warn.
@Imold
Late welcome here sir.
I too find myself on my Burgman just for ease of riding and the comfort and ability of it to do all of the types of trips I am doing. Please keep us informed on what you think of it and where you go on it. I haven't ridden in your part of the world in a few years with all of the craziness going on. Get out and ride and be safe there neighbor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have put a few miles on the an650 and I’m quite happy with the Burgman, my surprise was how fast it gets up to speed and how smooth the ride is, after 30-40 years of riding a regular motorcycle driving this Burgman is going to take a bit of learning, I have to overcome the mindset of not having to clutch and shift just twist the throttle and go, also stopping is a bit different not having to downshift and pull a clutch handle in when stopped is something I need to adjust to also.
This 650 is a good running bike but a bit beat up and if how this an650 runs is a indicator of how a 400 is going to run I definitely see a newer used Burgman 400 in the near future you know one that isn’t beat up hahaha, there are a couple real nice looking 400’s for sale by me and both under 3 grand. Later.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,170 Posts
I've never ridden a 400 but maybe one day I will feel the need. Yes I think a lot of the Burgman experience for those of us used to bigger bikes is just getting the mindset in the right place. I still have a couple of other bikes but really enjoy the time on the burger just for the ease of riding and the ability to travel just as fast as my Triumph. I have a friend with a 400 that swears by it. If I wasn't doing longer trips I could be persuaded to have one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel the 400 would be a nice riding scooter for riding solo and anything beyond that the 650 would be the go to.

Reactions: Blacktruck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I’ll give it a try, right now I’ve been wiping it off with Mothers Back to Black, heard you can pull the oil out of the plastic with a heat gun to get the black look back but it’s time consuming and doesn’t last very long.

screen name......Imold as in....Im old...

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts