Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded my Kymco Bet & Win 250 for a Burgman 650. It's like driving a Lincoln Towncar vs. a Ford Focus. The Burgman reminds me of a mini Goldwing. It holds the road much better on the highway than the Kymco. I took it out sunday for a 20 mile round trip on the Garden State parkway (no trucks allowed) to see how it handled the highway.

I'm toying with driving the Burgman to work (24miles NJ Turnpike or Garden STate Parkway), but am reluctant to take it out on the highway in rush hour.

I might try it one day to see how it goes. Part of me just keeps imagining the worst case of having a fall on a major highway and getting run over.

I took the MSF course and am being careful, but it's always the car that doesn't see you that can cause the problem. In a way, I feel that I like the highway better than local streets because of limited access by cars and also generally better road surfaces. With the Burgman, I can easily accelerate past some troublesome cars if necessary

Any other nervous beginners out there?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Again I say WELCOME to the forum!

I am in NJ and plan on buying asap.

Where did you buy your 650, what year is it and what didja pay?

I plan on using the Burgman to comute to save gas (and laets face it have more fun) on the way to from work. I have surface streets I will take as I am not too keen on that giant hill on route 280 in West Orange.

Ride Safe,
Johnny

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike. For now stay off the highway untill your confidence is built up. What I suggest you do is early Saturday or Sunday mornings , take that ride to work using the highway when there is minimal traffic. This will get you used to the road and the speeds while building up your confidence.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Not a bad deal at all!! Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome NJBM! I grew up in Plainfield back in the 60s, now live across the border in PA.

Sounds like you got a good deal on the 650. And it's OK to be nervous. An experienced rider told me he gets a little nervous before any ride--keeps him sharp and aware. :)

Have fun,

Bryna<--proud owner of Sushi the Sensational 400

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NJBurgermeister said:
Just traded my Kymco Bet & Win 250 for a Burgman 650.
"Bet & Win"? And I thought "Burgman" was a bad name. :roll:

NJBurgermeister said:
I'm toying with driving the Burgman to work (24miles NJ Turnpike or Garden STate Parkway), but am reluctant to take it out on the highway in rush hour....In a way, I feel that I like the highway better than local streets because of limited access by cars and also generally better road surfaces.
Statistically, the highway is safer than the "surface" streets. One of the biggest dangers is cars pulling out in your path from cross streets; not a problem on the freeway.

Surprisingly, a fall at 60MPH doesn't hurt much worse than a fall at 30MPH if you're wearing a helemt and leathers. Hard to believe, but as a former ambulance medic and emergency room tech. at a major hospital I can tell you it's true. Plus, falls on the freeway are quite rare. As you said, the roadway is usually better maintained and, again, no cross traffic to force sudden manuevers.

Don't be embarrased about being cautious at first; that's a good thing. But as your confidence builds, don't be afraid to push your comfort zone at least a little. Broader horizons beckon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts