Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I joined about a month ago in anticipation that a Burgman would follow me home one day soon. That happened yesterday! I'm now the 4th owner of a 2004 Burgman 400 with about 13,000 miles.

This forum is a great source of information and helped with my decision to go with a Burgman. My funds were limited so I really had to shop for a used scooter. I briefly considered a Honda 250 Reflex but after reading the threads on this site I decided it was just too under-powered for two-up riding on the interstate. This helped narrow my choices down between older Burgmans, Majestys, and earlier model Silverwings. FYI, I'm looking for alternative transportation too get rid of our second car. The Super Scooters seem to fit the best at least for myself and where we live.

Thursday I found the 400 Burgman about 200 miles from home (about the limit of my travel distance) with some body damage from first owner but otherwise in great shape. Worked out a price which was about $500 lower than two similar 400 Burgman's without body damage and a deal was struck.

The ride home yesterday (Saturday 12/28) was just on the fringe of being too cold but I made the 200 miles just before sunset. Love the Burgman and look forward to the help from the forum to keep up the regular maintenance myself.

My two-wheel history; (year purchased)
Honda 50 (1974)
Honda XR75 (1975)
Yamaha YZ100 (1977)
Kawasaki 900 Ninja (1986)
Kawasaki 250 Ninja (1987)
Suzuki GS500E (1997)
Suzuki GS500E (1998)
MZ Skorpion (1999)
Honda XR100 (2000)
Honda XR50 (2001)
Honda XR100 (2001)
Honda XR100 (2002)
Triumph Daytona 9551 (2002)
Honda CT90 "Trail 90 (2013)
Honda CT90 "Trail 90 (2013)
Suzuki Burgman 400 (2013)

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Good luck and hope the Burgman 400 does Ok for you.

Buiddy found a 2005 wrecked front end and platic damage. He found used Forks and Triple Tree on E Bay, replaced that and rode it some. Eventually located pieces of plastic and replaced all but the dash area. Sold it for $2000.

My 2007 650 broke down in NOV with 73400 miles (I have a 2008 NINJA 500 also, so I have been riding). Looking everywhere on the net for a deal while trying to decide what to do about my 650. Finally decided on a 2011 Burgman 400. Bought it 12-26-2013 in Hickory, NC (about 183 miles from me). Hauled it on a trailer. May gett he 650 fixed, if I do, I will sell teh NINJA and rdie the tow Burgmans.

Have ridden the 400 about about 100 miles counting the test ride in NC. We did not notarize the NC Title Transfer and TN will not let me register it until I do. So, cannot ride too much using my old 650 plates.

Darn TN -- does not require a Title Notary on TN Titles, but sionce NC does, TN will not accept.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Happy New Year

Congrats from another WV rider! I made the switch back in July when I found a 2007 Burgman 650 with only 2,300 miles collecting dust at a dealer showroom. Coming off a Kawasaki Concours 1000 and two Suzuki V-Strom 1000s, I was a little hesitant to try it, but one test ride and I was hooked. Between July and November, I added another 4,500 miles to the odo. Great fun riding - especially passing HDs in the mountains! :tongue: It has not been ridden in the past month since we have been moving - mostly a do it yourself - and lots of snow and ice. Now that "we're here", I'll be getting out the cold weather gear and riding more.

What part of WV are you from? We just moved from Clarksburg to Morgantown. If you're in the area, PM me and we'll get together sometime.

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
congrats! enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You'll live the bike. It is a fine replacement for a car. I rarely drive my car. Commuting, shopping, running errands, two-up riding, the 400 can handle it fine. Plus some weekend fun and hanging out with riding buddies is another great benefit. Enjoy and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darn TN -- does not require a Title Notary on TN Titles, but sionce NC does, TN will not accept.
Hey Paul,

WV is the same at TN for in-state titles. Luckily I asked before I went out of state to purchase the Burgman and my local tag/title office told me to have everything notarized.

Sounds like you have the Burgman fever with a 650 and a 400. Funny, I work each month close to Asheville, NC and Hickory is just down the road. Good luck with the 650 repair.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What part of WV are you from? We just moved from Clarksburg to Morgantown. If you're in the area, PM me and we'll get together sometime.

Happy New Year.
Funny, I used to roadrace and won a national amateur title with AHRMA in 2002. Last race bike was the Daytona 955 which made almost 130hp at the rear tire.

Anyway, sounds like we both got bit with the scooter bug about the same time. We also sold, move, bought another house, and finally moved again last spring, summer, and fall. I'm still doing house remodeling since I'm able to do most of the upgrades myself. The time waiting to move into the new house gave me some free afternoon's so I charged the battery on my son's 50cc scooter. We're living in town now so the scooter become my main mode of transport.

We live in Ravenswood, WV which is in-between Charleston & Parkersburg on I-77. Let me know if get down this way especially if you need something with the scooter. I still have all my tire changing equipment from my racing days :)

Take care,
Bruce

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll live the bike. It is a fine replacement for a car. I rarely drive my car. Commuting, shopping, running errands, two-up riding, the 400 can handle it fine. Plus some weekend fun and hanging out with riding buddies is another great benefit. Enjoy and keep the shiny side up.
Thanks for the vote of confidence on replacing a car. I think it will work but time will tell. - Bruce

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congratulations and welcome from a fellow WV Burgman rider! :)
Hey Jake,

Thanks for the welcome. I had to check the map for Kingwood. My job takes to the hospital in Weston every other Monday which is close to your neck of the woods.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congratulations on the new Burgman

Congratulations on your new acquisition from all of us here at the Pia Zadora Memorial Golden Buckeye Retirement Home and Assisted Living Center, just across the Ohio River from Wheeling, WV......we have spent lots of time riding in West Virginia over the years and treat it as our home state.
Enjoy the ride!

TW

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for the welcome! Also, thank to all who contribute to the forum on the maintenance/tech side. I've been busy the last two weeks adjusting the valves, changing brake fluid, antifreeze, etc. This forum has been a great source of info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts