Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thinned the fleet, now ready to make what will probably be my last two wheel purchase. A new Suzuki Burgman 400 or Yamaha Majesty... thoughts and opinions? Thanks!
I will also post this question on the Yamaha Majesty forum and the Advrider battlescooter forum, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Both bikes have their plusses and minuses. I owned a majesty until I sat on a Burgman and realized they had so much extra legroom. It was a no brainer for me. I traded in my Majesty for a Burgman the next week!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You're posing this question on a burgman board, so there's little doubt what the recommendation here will be. The Majesty is a great bike. I've little bad to say about it.

But as a practical matter, I'd choose the burgman for the simple fact that it's still sold here in the states. On-going support in the form of parts availability, mechanics to work on it, used bikes available, used parts available, etc, etc should be a huge plus for the burg.

Plus its just a great bike. Better than the yamaha? I think so, but I'm partial. And that's about as impartial as I can be. I love the 400.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You're posing this question on a burgman board, so there's little doubt what the recommendation here will be. The Majesty is a great bike. I've little bad to say about it.

But as a practical matter, I'd choose the burgman for the simple fact that it's still sold here in the states. On-going support in the form of parts availability, mechanics to work on it, used bikes available, used parts available, etc, etc should be a huge plus for the burg.

Plus its just a great bike. Better than the yamaha? I think so, but I'm partial.

Good luck n your decision.
I agree the Suzuki Burgman 400 is the better bike. Plus, you get the BurgmanUSA Forum for all the help you could ever need.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a 250 Majesty which I loved to ride but in 2 years it spent several months in the shop with two transmission failures, (I eventually replaced the Yamaha gear with a Malossi variator & gear up kit), problems with the clutch, a cracked rear swing arm and big end bearing failure leading to the need for a new motor. Admittedly it did 65000km in that time. I know three people with 400 Majestys. Two of them have had chronic premature failures from transmissions to steering bearings. I only know one long term owner of a Burgman 400. The only complaint is premature battery failure - but I know why: the battery is near horizontal. Sealed gel batteries are fine to discharge horizontally but they like to be vertical when charging which means if you don't use it for a while and the battery goes flat, you need to take it out to recharge it - alternatively keep it charged up.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've owned my Burgman 400 for almost 2 years now with no intentions of getting rid of it, but if I had to do it all over again I am not sure I would. I love this scooter and its a great machine, but I've had issues (expensive ones) that I've never had out of any bike with 38,000 miles so far. I also thought it would be more highway capable than it is, but that being said it certain is capable so I am not claiming its not. I would say either one will be a great scooter, Burgman definitely is the king in legroom, storage and seat comfort (except compared to my Helix). Both are great scooters, but I've been forever wishing I had just bought the Honda Silverwing honestly.

Keep in mind in your purchase that I can't say anything as to maintaining a Yamaha, but the Burgman is a breeze to do just about anything to for mainenance and thats a huge win in my book to. :)

Good luck and again I don't think you can go wrong with either one!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why do you say this...
I love this scooter and its a great machine, but I've had issues (expensive ones) that I've never had out of any bike with 38,000 miles so far.
when you said this?
I've put 32,000 miles on my 08 since buying it used 16 months ago and no trouble yet and than my notched steering bearings. Me loves my Burgman very very much. It's as reliable as a Honda Civic so far
:confused:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have a 2006 Burgman and a friend of mine just got a new Majesty 400. My Burg is a fair amount larger. Longer wheelbase, bigger seating with more legroom and a larger trunk. If this size factor matters then keep that in mind. I have not ridden his scoot so I can't say how it performs. Both brands and models have good reputations. I would say that if you can test ride each that would be the best thing is figuring out which is right for you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've owned both the Majesty and the 400 and I like the looks of the Majesty more, I also like the seat of the Majesty because only 1/2 of it opens up so when travelling I could put a bag on top of the seat and still access everything in the boot easily. The power and ride are about the same but the 400 is easier to do maintenance on and aftermarket parts, though still fairly rare, are much more plentiful for the 400.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have to agree with kimbo4 about the Majesty seat. I guess it cost too much to make a handy seat like that for other scooters. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Two of my most favorite Burgman features are lacking on the Majesty: the vast trunk under the seat, and the 12V adapter in the glove box. I wouldn't want to give up either of those.

Performance wise, I have ridden a Majesty, and indeed I loved it. It could keep me happy, if riding was all there is. But it's not. I have to carry my laptop and have it fully charged when I get there. And then I need a place to put all the junk I picked up.

I can't compare long-term comfort, and I should also note that it's probably no more difficult to modify the Majesty to have 12V outlets, and add a top box, than it is for a Burgman to have the modifications it needs. What I'm saying: a stock Burgman, for me, beats a stock Majesty, hands down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Majesty user here, figured I'd chime in :D
Haven't caught up with all the upgrades the Burgman received (sounds like around '08?), when I bought my '06 it sounded like the Majesty was the better machine, something about the Burgman's valves needing adjustment very frequently... and the Majesty's seat was higher, which was good for me. I would have preferred a little more legroom than what I got with the Majesty but it's not bad; I've rode 100-150mi in a day on it without any issues.

The air cleaner setup is a bit wonky, although I haven't noticed any engine trouble from mine; I installed the updated air cleaner seals regardless. Mine's due for a valve check, that sounds like it'll be a hassle.

Besides that it's a reliable scoot... and the under-seat storage is decent enough for me, although I did add a topcase for more. No 12V lighter socket, but if I really needed it I could wire one up. I did have to mess with wiring to install aftermarket heated grips. Instrument cluster is reasonably readable in bright sunlight. Only complaint with that is switching between Clock and Temperature view; you have to reach in and press in one of the buttons on the speedometer for 2 seconds, that is obnoxious.

It's zippy and fun to ride, gets me to work & back without any bother.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Why do you say this...

when you said this?

:confused:
Because those steering bearings cost me a fortune, and now they are already starting to get that way again barely 10k later. I read on here that some people are just living with them being notched to. I tried but traffic at low speed gets tough. Just because its had this annoying expensive problem doesn't make a it POS in my eyes either I still think its a great bike. But if I could go back and make the decision again I wouldn't.

I've loved my Ford van despite it tranny issues, but I wouldn't purchase it again if I got a do-over is all.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Treehouse never say "probably be my last two wheel purchase"... I've said that 4 times already... Heck, you're just a kid of 62... When I was 60 I bought my last bike, a new Honda Gold Wing,,, when I was 64 I bought my last bike, a new Kawasaki 750.. When I was 67 I bought my last bike, a new Burgman 650. When I was 74 I bought my last bike, a new to me 2011 Burgman 400... I'm 75 still kicken have the two Burgman's and still looking for my last new bike... Again...

Bill....

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have to agree with Bill, never say never. When I worked as a machinist I saw more than a few people leave and sell their tools saying they would never work as a machinist again, then have to buy new tools when they had to go back to work. When I left the last shop I planned to work in I kept my tools and have never needed them again. I've seen people say they would never remarry after a divorce only to end up married again. I've always just said I don't plan on getting remarried. It's been thirty eight years and I'm still single.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I shopped and researched both back in '05 and ended up with the Burgman. I gave the Majesty a slight nod for the engine (a full 400) and build quality, but the Burgman won on ergonomics, storage, looks (to me the Majesty looks more scooterish as it's a bit taller and a bit shorter), and had the burgmanusa.com forum. I've had zero buyer's remorse. I'm on Burgman 400 #2, and Burgman 650 #2.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I copied this comparison from another post and added my limited comments at the end. Talking 2011 (2007 and above Burgman 400). Paul

As someone else wrote, you need to sit on both bikes. While they are virtually the same in dimensions, weight and engine hp, the "cockpit" area has a decidedly different feel to each. It may be that one of you likes the "fit" of the Majesty, and the other likes the "fit" of the Burgman better. None of our comments can decide that for you. :)

Here's some things I've noticed in comparing the two, especially since I originally planned to buy the Majesty. It was coming out on top in every comparison to the Burgman 400 (B400). What I didn't know in reading the reviews, was the B400 they were comparing it to was the older version, the 2006 and earlier model. Suzuki totally redesigned the B400 in 2007 and set their sights on the Majesty to beat it. IMHO, I think they did. But both are still good rides.
  • The Majesty hasn't been updated since 2003...except for the version sold in Europe. The USA model is the same with just a few small changes over the years.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has the largest underseat storage of any maxi-scooter in the world. The Yamaha is close, but it is split into two areas...so one large item would have a problem fitting perhaps where it would simply drop into the storage area on the Burgman.

[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The fuel economy on the B400 is better. Most of us get in the mid-60s MPG with occasional forays into the low 70s. The Majesty gets in the low 50s.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The dashboard on the B400 is readable in virtually all lighting conditions. The Majesty's washes out in bright sunlight.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 dashboard includes a MPG readout. That's unavailable on the Majesty.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has a flash-to-pass button. I'm not sure if the Majesty has hazard lights, but the B400 does.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has a 12-volt outlet. The Majesty does not.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has usable mirrors. One of the first mods many people make on their Majesty is to buy mirror extensions so they see more than their elbows.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • Maintenance intervals are better on the B400. Many of us find our CVT belt lasts far past the recommended maintenance interval of 14,000 miles. I've been changing mine at about 22,000 miles and they are still within specs. I don't remember the details, but there seems to be an issue with the two air filters on the Majesty. There's one on the B400, and some of us wash the filter and reuse it, saving $$$.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has had ABS since 2011. The Majesty doesn't.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • The B400 has a backrest that is adjustable from under the seat without tools. If I remember right, the Majesty's is adjustable too, but requires tools.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
  • We have Mitch (micbergsma) and his videos on how to do everything on your B400 but teardown the engine. They don't. ;) Tupperware removal on the newer B400s is minimal. Changing the oil doesn't require any removal of tupperware. Changing the final drive fluid requires removing the outer and inner CVT covers. You can do everything inside the CVT to include replacing the clutch in less than an hour. I don't mean that you need to replace the clutch...but it shows you how easy it is to service yourself.[/*:m:ij7zjqig]
It all adds up to the Burgman 400 being more livable over the long term. :) That said, none of the above matters if you can't stand either the looks or the seating position of the Burgman 400.

If you want to save several thousand $,$$$...buy a gently used Burgman 400 (or Majesty). From 2007 and on, there are few changes to either except the amount of depreciation you'll pay. In 2008, the headlights were changed from the European specs to the US arrangement. The exhaust gasket was changed, and the clutch went from a 3 shoe design to a 5 shoe design. In 2009, some changes were made to the cooling ducting to the CVT. None were brought in for 2010. In 2011, they introduced ABS on all models. And it has remained pretty much unchanged AFAIK. The colors also changed with each year. You can pick up a gently used 2008 400 for about $4k...or a new one for about $8K when you get out of the dealership after paying all the additional fees.

And whether Suzuki offers 0% financing or not...you still have to pay for it. ;)

Chris
BEST REPLY WRITE UP I have ever seen. :) I only rode a Majesty one time (40 miles or so of curvy road - swapped with a friend). So, not an expert to be able to compare allt eh things mentioned in this post. Other than that - no knowledge of Majesty. For Me --- Majesty is not as comfortable (sit up high and feel like on top of the bike vs down in it), less leg room, has way less storage, mirros not as good for view in back of you, it handles OK, but I think less power. Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone, purchased a new, 2013 Burgman 400 leftover at a good price...maybe this won't be my last bike anyway!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks everyone, purchased a new, 2013 Burgman 400 leftover at a good price...maybe this won't be my last bike anyway!
Hey congratulations! But it just may be your last bike, it's THAT good.

I've had mine for eight years now and still love it. I know I will have it until its death (or mine), timely or otherwise. At which time I will replace it with another. I just can't see myself without one. It's the best bike I've ever owned, followed very closely by the 650.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts