Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TLDR AT BOTTOM- backstory is relevant.
*** Backstory So I have a brand new Suzuki Burgman 2020, only put 400 miles on in 3 months. I'm 5'9 140lbs I'm tiny. I'm used to whipping around my 150, I know I should be reasonable the 200s bigger but its extreme. I got the burg new at 3900 bucks ( a steal, this suzuki dealership didn't sell many scoots). Now I've driven about 30 40k miles on 150cc Chinese scooters. Like wolf brand blaze 150s decent rides, unreliable. Spent as much in maintence in a year to make it worth a Burgman ( and I did my own oil it was otber stuff, dont know how to change burgys tho since the 150z didn't have filters)

I lived in Largo Florida, the Grid style roads with few curves made riding easy, but I was tried and tested on multiple trips easily top speeding fairly long deep turns. But now live north in New Port Richey, where it is windy and Roads are faster and tougher to ride. No problem got the burg..

*Problem *Today, I feel the tires are worn in enough so its not being new and engine is starting to have that smooth vaccuum from breaking in you want at any RPM , clutch kicking in at lower rpms now. Love everything about it, but its about 100lbs heavier then my 150lb 150cc. Let me start by saying I didn't check my T pressure, and it was hella low, it made turns about 75% better once I fixed it.. 30 front 32 in back. (Hot( because cold it should be 29 and 31 back not sitting at the air pump an hour.)

On short slower turns im fine can counter balance, easy reminds me of my wolf, ( except u turns take patience) but on roads between speeds of 45 to 70 long mid angle curves, which would be very easy before, my confidence went from high to low from the tire pressure problem, but it feels light if counter steel, not wobbly but not responsive i get this weightless feeling.. and if I don't turn it enough I feel like I'm catching up to the turn the whole way, and can't correct til after, it put me in a dangerous spot once. I don't believe its my skill causing this, idk if its my size if I need more tire pressure.

It could be my posture, NO ONE CAN TELL ME do I sit All the way but back to the rise before passengers spot, feet on the vertical rest, or do I sit closer forward feet on horizontal like normal Chinese scooters. I know "back straight" 90* angle with elbows. I've heard hold handlebar lightly. Typically I sit all the way back towards middle of bike feet on vertical rests ( chinese scoots are not verticle ) . Im not sure but it felt more stable sitting up further feet horizontal, but I was uncomfortable my proximity to the handle bars, but again it wasn't one of the long quarter mile 1/2 mile turns. My wolf blaze sport 150cc was modded, and I went up these turns at 65mph no problem when visiting before moving here. The light feeling scares me because I just don't trust the bike not to topple over, it's not wobbling but man I've never felt weightlessness on turns riding anything before. And if i under turn as I said I play catchup but you can't correctly compensate and start feeling weightless unstable. Is my scooter defective? Tire pressure maybe needs to be higher or lower for my small size? Or maybe my posture? "Ps rode bigger motorcycles never weightless feeling, or on light 50ccs..

Every once and awhile a turn feels perfect, then the next ones bad and my confidence drops to fear which I'm normally very confident.. im a nervous person normally but Bikes make me typically feel a level of confidence people normally have its my outlet, so this needs to get fixed before I develop a permanent riding anxiety of the burg, because I love it, it's fast as I hell despite what I've read about 200s ( for a 200) and it brakes on a dime from 50mph i shi* you not

TLDR - Fairly expierenced 150cc scooter rider asking correct posture for 5'9140lb rider on 200cc burg, and after fixing tire pressure which helped 80% of handling problem. I feel like turning on mid angle LONG turns ( all 45to 70 mph rds here). Makes me feel weightless, or if I don't steer enough im catching my tail up the entire way. Slow turns no problems.. was worse before fixing tire pressure to my owners manual.

·
Premium Member
3,682 Posts
Can you adjust the handlebars to fit you sitting in the sweet spot of the seat ?

Take it to a church parking lot after church service and before Bingo and run some cone drills with water bottles.

Reactions: ItzCritz

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the sweet spot conforming to the verticle foot rests? Or do some people ride burgmans feet horizontally. I believe I can adjust it, just never felt this weightless feeling ( like a Rollercoaster drop) on other rides. I know I have to sit so im the proper posture of course.

·
Premium Member
3,682 Posts
Is the sweet spot conforming to the verticle foot rests? Or do some people ride burgmans feet horizontally. I believe I can adjust it, just never felt this weightless feeling ( like a Rollercoaster drop) on other rides. I know I have to sit so im the proper posture of course.
I sit more upright and flat footed on my B650 80% of the time but when doing freeway non technical riding I’ll use the inclined forward foot rests.

I know your feeling of uncertainty in turns....one time it’s like auto-pilot and the next time you have to fight from going into the berm.

I’d keep an eye on air pressure and abnormal tire wear. Being a new bike they may have gotten sloppy in the final assembly at the dealership so adjust your handle bars but pay attention not to bind the cables.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will call the dealership and see if they'll look, im going to do some drills in a lot like you said. I've never had this turn uncertainty feeling on my piece of crap wolf. It unnerves me, and ill keep my eyes on the air pressure.

Great advice on the seating position. I do adjust depending on the road more up front for technical so ill give that a try, glad I'm not the only one! Its probably me and nothing wrong with the bike, I wish i knew more about doing mechanical work, but I know enough for blown fuses etc. Ill give it a shot with your posture tip. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,682 Posts
Hey Bub, if you get a chance read this thread and pay attention to what Rusty J has to say :

After reading Rusty’s words I’m excited to see and ride a B200.

Clarification...the slow steering response was on other bikes and not my Burgman but I know the feeling you are talking about.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Can you adjust the handlebars to fit you sitting in the sweet spot of the seat ?
The handlebars on the 200 are not adjustable without cutting and welding.

They're a lot like a bicycle handlebar stem and bars but as a single, welded-together unit.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Is the sweet spot conforming to the vertical foot rests?
That's how I always ride mine. Periodically, I have to "scoot myself back" in the seat. The steering feels light, but not unstable. "Squirrely" handling is the first sign of low tire pressures.

Re-check your tire pressures cold. Temperature/use can give a +/-5 PSI variation, not +/2 PSI. Especially if you're starting out underinflated! Set rear tire pressure to the operator-only value. Consider adjusting the rear shocks up a click or two (they come from the factory at 2/5) Suzuki seems to allocate 192 lbs per person (plus trunk and glovebox cargo weight), and you're probably under that even in full gear.

Unexplained tire pressure loss (if there are no obvious punctures) might be loose valve stem cores. The tool to tighten them is inexpensively available at your friendly local auto parts store or bicycle shop, and nice to have around even if the valve stem cores are OK now.

It's worth noting that the OEM tires are... not amazing, especially on wet pavement (ABS makes up for it a little so wet-weather riding just requires a bit of extra caution). Michelin City Grips (or City Grip 2) are a significant improvement over the stock tires.

Also, handling during tight cornering (parking-lot speed) can be improved by holding a little throttle to keep the clutch partially engaged, then using the rear brake to control your speed. Keeps the lurching from clutch engagement/disengagement to a minimum. The B200's clutch doesn't fully lock up until about 5,000 RPM, by design.

Also, if you have accessories mounted, do not exceed 80 MPH, according to the manual. (The manual does not know or care that the Burgman 200's top speed is 75 MPH measured by GPS.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maccecht does the owners manual tell me how to stiffen the rear suspension. Rusty I will check the tire pressure cold, I only have a cell phone accessory, my top speed at my weight of 140 maybe 145 150 geared is right around 80 GPS. Is the rear shocks the same as the suspension? And I didnt know about the tires tightening the valve core I will buy that tool tomorrow, recheck tire preassure, overinflate by 5, if it needs itz rear will stay on operator only recommendation. And when the tires wear I'll write down to get michellen city grips. Great advice everyone ill keep you posted!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DarisParker my models a b uh200a or the b200 American release. And I love it man, it's quick enough. The 400 was too heavy for me and I almost bought a naked cruiser instead, but the b200 at least the new 2020 ( which I got so lucky it was 3900$ new pre tax tag etc) is fast enough for me. It had better acceleration then the bike I was going to get. Its probably faster then other comparable 200s that I've ridden. If I can get this turning issue down, its like my dream bike. The power drop is like a hugely hesitant thing I get, but once the engine broke in, in non highway rural roads it keeps up. It outpaces econ cars til their in 4th typically and it has no lack of get the f outta the way power. Its heavy because I'm so small BMI wise at 5'9. 140s the most I've ever weighed lol. Personally it's a blast to ride. The curving just has had my confidence plummet. Found the suspension adjustment In the manual, I'm going to do it tomorrow, easy fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lastly good product for extra waterproof storage ? Like a velcro temoveable trunk on the panel behind the seat? And can I bungie strap around the back panel objects say like an Xbox (I know the risks with rain etc but can I do it and still have safe riding dynamics)?

Thanks guys, I'm so happy to have this bike I've been lurking the forums for 2 months, and I'm treating it better then id treat my car lol! Will introduce soon in New member post. Evan aka Critz

·
Premium Member
3,682 Posts
DarisParker my models a b uh200a or the b200 American release. And I love it man, it's quick enough. The 400 was too heavy for me and I almost bought a naked cruiser instead, but the b200 at least the new 2020 ( which I got so lucky it was 3900$ new pre tax tag etc) is fast enough for me. It had better acceleration then the bike I was going to get. Its probably faster then other comparable 200s that I've ridden. If I can get this turning issue down, its like my dream bike. The power drop is like a hugely hesitant thing I get, but once the engine broke in, in non highway rural roads it keeps up. It outpaces econ cars til their in 4th typically and it has no lack of get the f outta the way power. Its heavy because I'm so small BMI wise at 5'9. 140s the most I've ever weighed lol. Personally it's a blast to ride. The curving just has had my confidence plummet. Found the suspension adjustment In the manual, I'm going to do it tomorrow, easy fix.
Cool Bub, you seem so young to be so wise...I’m glad your here. The masters here will get you sorted. Please post some pics of the Screaming Deal you got. Where you from ?

·
Administrator
20,323 Posts
ItzCritz said:
I lived in Largo Florida, the Grid style roads with few curves made riding easy, but I was tried and tested on multiple trips easily top speeding fairly long deep turns. But now live north in New Port Richey Florida, ..............

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Cool Bub, you seem so young to be so wise...I’m glad your here. The masters here will get you sorted. Please post some pics of the Screaming Deal you got. Where you from ?

It's New Port Richey, FL. 40mins north of Tampa i usually tell people Tampa. Its near clearwater Beach, which is next door to Largo my old home. Ill send pics in the A.M.

The shop just couldn't sell it, they typically have only a 400 and 650 in stock. They had the 2020 b200 for a few months not selling I take it, and wernt happy and I eyed that sale from March to May which is when a bought it ( may). I could of gotten the overly large 400, forgot to say I have Rheumatoid Arthritis , even at 27 the flare ups are brutal, and getting enough "speed" to satisfy that thrill I need, but lighter then 400lbs and a scooter ( i just feel safer not shifting and not using every limb for a function so i focus better) wasn't possible til I discovered the burg in January.

Dont wanna die on a bike, ill do it I will 100% hurt myself at some point on a bike.

Pics in the AM, its a white 2020 similar to how Rustys looks. So stoked to test the changes in the morning.

·
Administrator
20,323 Posts
Arthritis does not care about age.

·
Premium Member
3,682 Posts
Critz,
“Pray for Me I Drive RT 19” I know where you are. I had a garage apartment about 4 blocks from the Christian Science H.Q. there in Clearwater. Fond Memories for sure.... but RT 19 was a nightmare.

Your pragmatic approach to two wheeling is to be commended..... stay safe and stop in daily.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
... recheck tire preassure, overinflate by 5, ...
Just to be clear, check the tire pressure before you ride and before the sun hits the tires. Set at the factory recommended pressure. You don't want or need to overinflate when checking "cold" (relative term this time of year).

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Maccecht does the owners manual tell me how to stiffen the rear suspension. Rusty I will check the tire pressure cold, I only have a cell phone accessory, my top speed at my weight of 140 maybe 145 150 geared is right around 80 GPS. Is the rear shocks the same as the suspension? And I didnt know about the tires tightening the valve core I will buy that tool tomorrow, recheck tire preassure, overinflate by 5, if it needs itz rear will stay on operator only recommendation. And when the tires wear I'll write down to get michellen city grips. Great advice everyone ill keep you posted!
It's in the manual, yes (p. 3-22). When talking about the rear shocks, we mean the suspension (rear spring pre-load adjustment). From the OEM tool kit, use the hooked open wrench thing, with the large socket wrench doohickey over it as a handle extension. It's a lot easier if the bike's on the centerstand.

Don't overinflate the tires! Check cold, inflate cold, check again. If you don't have a tire pump or inflator at home, go ahead and overinflate a little (not above what's marked on the tire!) Don't fully trust the gauge on the gas station compressor because they get banged around a lot -- get your own. Then go home, park the bike for a while then re-check, bleeding down to the correct pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been super busy everyone. But Rusty and Maccecht were right. Rear shocks swapped to 3 , and 80% better. Feel like the bikes so much more responsive. May test it at 4 too. Cores are also probably loose preassure is low again. Will be going to the store get a new tp gauge ( mine is a shitty digital barely fits) and a core tighter. THANK YOU GUYS!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts