Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading about the new Burgman 200 but I have to wonder...

At $4,999 the 200 Burgman seems to have performance more in line with the PCX ($3,499). It would seem that if you want a scoot that can barely ride on the freeway, the PCX might be a better deal for the money.

Alternatively, if you really want to ride on the freeway, the Forza or Kymco Downtown might seem to be the better way to go.

Just my 2 cents.

Andy

·
Registered
302 Posts
We have a PCX 150, and we ride it on and off of the freeways. We are going to try to determine the same thing once we can actually see a Burgman 200, if the dealer ever gets one. One thing we need to determine is the weight of the b200 vs the PCX. Then we will have to determine if the b200 has more power and comfort. Our biggest problem has been that we needed a scooter with a low seat. We bought a custom seat for the PCX, as well as a new windscreen, tailbox, and custom adjustable brake levers. Hopefully we can do the same for a b200. Those would make the choice much harder.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Waking a sleeping thread-

I'm wondering about this for the next scoot. The PCX seems to do an awfully good job for the price. The new 200 will have a bit more but at a big increase in price.

I happen to like the lower mid hump of the 200 so I'm hoping the reports come back saying the Burgman is worth the price.

Anyone have an idea of how hard the valve adjustment will be? If easier than the time consuming PCX that could tip the scales.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New Burgman VS PCX

I was in the market for a new scoot upgrading from a ZUMA 50.
The two bikes I looked at were the PCX and the Burgman 200. Fortunately my Suzuki dealer just got one in. So my impressions of both. The PCX is a lighter bike and not as wide as the Burgman. Both Bikes were easy to put up on the center stand ( I was worried with the Xtra weight of the Burgman but no problem). In terms of comfort I like the Burgman better as I was able to put my feet up front as opposed to only on the floor with the PCX. (The seat is lower on the Burgman so your knees are up higher with your feet on the floor VS the PCX.) The Burgman has nearly twice the Fuel capacity of the PCX. (Although that will change when the 2015 PCX comes out in two months). I also liked the ABS option and the rear disc brakes on the Burgman. The under seat storage on the Burgman is enormous (probably 2X that of the PCX) and I like to use my scoot for small trips to the grocery store and I don't care for the trunk look so this was important for me. So after careful evaluation of the two I spent a little more and went with the Burgman.
Also I am 5'7 and the bike fits me perfect I think if you are taller the front foot rests might not be practical on the Burgman.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Burgman is a tourer, PCX a commuter

Reactions: gec343

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I think the 200 is really going after the Vespa market. The pricing is more in line with it.

Suzuki wants to hook people into the burgman line up. There's a nice progression from 200 to 400 to the 650. A 300 would have little distinction from a 400 and a 150 would have been to small.

So add a big trunk, abs, disk brakes, etc. to the 200 and you've got some nice selling points to distinguish it from the Vespa and Honda. And you've lock in the next sale when they want to trade up, there's not enough distinction to a forza 300, so the 400 burgman would be the logical choice for most folks.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yeah, all the family including the 125 has been sharpened with a cruising inclination. From a local business luxury tourer to a long camping hauler. Isn't that seen in the design - it's distinctively a touring machine.

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my opinion, there's really no comparison. I owned a PCX for a year and got tired of the clutch induced shaking when taking off. The Burgman has two disk brakes (and the best brakes I've even had on any of the 18 motorcycles I've owned), ABS, the radiator in the front where it should be, better instrumentation, the only linear gas gauge I've ever seen on a motorcycle, and the already mentioned massive cavity under the seat. The Burgman is far more comfortable on the highway with the large windscreen, and although it's bigger than the PCX it handles better. The only drawback is the increased expense.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Can a fat guy get up to speed on the highway on either of these bikes?

I have a dead 150cc scooter in my carport, on which I blew the rings, probably from running at full throttle too much. My weight is a bit north of the 200 mark, and I couldn't get that 150 up to 55mph very often.

At what speed does the B200 top out?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Why not rebuild the 150cc? They make big bore kits for everything, and you will learn everything you will ever need if you do the work yourself. The wife and I ride 2 up all the time on our 200 Burgman and hold 70 mph comfortably. As stated in my mini review, at 70 mph you will be at 8000RPM's, and passing at 80/85 you will be at 9000/95000 getting ready to ping the rev limiter. Actually, I have yet to hit it, but with the wind noise I would never hear it anyways. I just try to keep my cruising at 70 and try not to go over 80 unless Im passing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Why not rebuild the 150cc? They make big bore kits for everything, and you will learn everything you will ever need if you do the work yourself.
Yep, I might, but I have too many other higher priorities. And even if I succeed, I have a bike that's still not really usable where I live. I have to go highway speeds to get anywhere.
The wife and I ride 2 up all the time on our 200 Burgman and hold 70 mph comfortably. As stated in my mini review, at 70 mph you will be at 8000RPM's, and passing at 80/85 you will be at 9000/95000 getting ready to ping the rev limiter. Actually, I have yet to hit it, but with the wind noise I would never hear it anyways. I just try to keep my cruising at 70 and try not to go over 80 unless Im passing.
Thanks. Yes, I saw similar results in an online review. That's mostly adequate, although you're probably speaking in indicated speed terms (subtract 7-10% for real speed.)

Apparently also the PCX can hit 70, which is amazing for a 150, and yet it gets fuel economy far beyond what most 150s can manage. Impressive.

Oh well, all this is just idle curiosity, as I'm unlikely ever to have a stable of multiple rides. But if I had just two, it would probably be the B650 and one of either the B200 or PCX.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I seriously considered a PCX before choosing the Burgman 200. Parking size wise the Burg was a large as I could go (sits on sidewalk by front door) without being in the way. PCX was nice but the Burg has more space for 2 adults and more native storage. One day I will try to GPS the speed, but it matches my wifes Can Am Spyder almost perfect for speed comparison. There is nothing wrong with a multi scoot/bike stable, just start small and work your way up. We have the Spyder for big trips, Burgman for a beater, a Buddy 125 for a back-up and a Zuma 50cc for 2 stroke knowledge and late night blast. Keep in mind this all started with a Honda Elite 80 (aka DEVO scooter) many moons ago, and I even came back to scooters after years of motorcycles-yes, we consider the Spyder a scooter by default!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts