Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally did it. I bought a new, 2020 Burg 200 on 9/9/20, to celebrate the date that California was admitted as a state to the great United States of America.

I traded in my wonderful 2015 Burg 400ABS to purchase the B200. The deal was made in north Sacramento, California, and it required that I ride the new B200 to my home about 70 miles to the south to where I live in Rio Vista, CA.

While this is not a review, what I did notice immediately was that the B200 is seriously lacking the power of the B400. Other things that disappointed me were: the seat is not as comfortable as the 400's; the suspension is nowhere near as efficient and comfortable as the B400's; and the storage of the B200 is not a great as the B400's.

Today, I took the B200 for a 50 mile ride to get better acquainted with my new scooter. Also, I added a small Butt Buffer pad on to the seat and that helped a whole lot! The streets and roads in my area are absolutely terrible so you have to have a good seat and good suspension on your bike to be comfortable during a ride.

I've had Givi top cases on all of my scooters so I'm thinking of adding one to this scooter as well. I kept the Givi top case from my B400 so all I need to do is to obtain the Givi rack and plate that fits on the B200 and bingo!

But I do like the look of the rear of the B200 without the Givi rack & mount and I've been exploring to possibily use a tail bag that I can take off when I don't need it. Therefore, before I order the Givi stuff, I have to give the tail bag idea some more thought.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
You should get a small bump in power after break-in .... and in time you will figure out the best method of reaching cruising speed. Do you feel more comfortable at stop signs and stop lights?

Swing by Salvation Army and pick up a pair of lightly used back packs and make yourself some old fashioned saddle bags for grocery day.

·
Premium Member
8,330 Posts
You should get a small bump in power after break-in .... and in time you will figure out the best method of reaching cruising speed. Do you feel more comfortable at stop signs and stop lights?

Swing by Salvation Army and pick up a pair of lightly used back packs and make yourself some old fashioned saddle bags for grocery day.
great idea for back packs, i dunno about the 200, but my k8 400's muffler put a hurtin on my reusable grocery bags , went for bread, got back with toast :mad:

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
great idea for back packs, i dunno about the 200, but my k8 400's muffler put a hurtin on my reusable grocery bags , went for bread, got back with a 24 pack of liquid bread. :giggle:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While some folks like saddle bags on their scooters, I sure don't. I've had Givi hard bags on my Honda Nighthawk 750 and BMW hard bags on my BMW R1150R motorcycles but I didn't have underseat storage on them. I prefer to keep a slim profile on my scooters.

I got quite a shock yesterday when I called two Suzuki dealers' service departments to get the approximate cost for the 600 mile service. One was $450 and the other one was $500 !!

I couldn't believe it! But I do not have a choice because I have no mechanical skills; no tools; and I have a bad back where I cannot bend or stoop for any length of time without experiencing great pain. Also, I have an injured right hand where I can't use certain tools.

I asked one of the guys why so expensive and he told me that Suzuki recommends a valve inspection at 600 miles. I asked him what the cost would be without the inspection, especially when it has to be done again at only 3,000 miles. He told me it would be about $150 - guess who is not getting the valve inspection!

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Confirm that you will not void your warranty by skipping on the valve check.....I’d skip it to.

The backpack idea is just for getting groceries otherwise store under seat.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DarisPakar, yes I do feel much more comfortable coming to a stop now. The lighter weight helps so much and it feels almost effortless to hold the bike up at stops and to push it out of the garage and parking spaces and off of the side stand. No close calls yet like I had on the B400 - yay!

The two state highways that one has to take to leave town have 55 MPH speed limits. Of course, everyone drives at least 60 MPH. I'm having to struggle to watch my RPMs and keep my engine and scooter speed down until I get more miles on it. I've only put 120 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Congratulations with your new scoot. I hope you grow a love for it that will have you not comparing it to what the 400 did, but rather how this one meets other needs better. How is the gas mileage working out for you?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My favorite scooter was the Silverwing. I really loved that bike and I also liked the sound of the motor which to me, sounded like the Wankel engine instead of the lawn mower sound that the B400 had. Funny, the B200 sounds like the old model airplanes that were popular back in the 50s and 60s (the kind with the glow plug engine). The S'wing was very comfortable to ride and had all the power I needed as well as lot of storage, especially with the Givi topcase.

In 2015, I bought a new Forza 300 ABS and it was terrible. I compared that to both the S'wing and my 2008 B400 and it fell very short. My main complaints were the terrribly uncomfortable seat & suspension combination that caused me to have splitting pains shooting up my spine from my tailbone up to my neck. And for some reason, crosswinds had a tendency to want to blow the bike off the road or into oncoming traffic. I was only able to deal with those issues for less than three months before I traded it on a new B400 ABS.

So far, I've found that the B200 is not as bad as the Forza was. The seat is more comfortable but the suspension is only a little bit better than the Forza's. The Butt Buffer seat pad has helped a lot. I tried it on the Forza but it wasn't enough to cushion the ride. On the B200, it seems to work much better and I think it will work on the sudden jolts that I experience while riding on our local crappy roads and streets.

I haven't ridden the B200 during strong winds so far. And that will be a very important factor for me to consider. We have very strong winds in our area which is why we have at least one thousand of the huge wind turbines in our local hills. Also, Travis AFB is nearby and I think the Air Force uses the local winds so the their pilots can practise their flying, take offs and landings, in this type of strong cross winds.

I haven't decided about the top case situation. While reading Conchscooter's (on the Adventure Rider Forum (Battle Scooters section) on his "1500 Miles on a Baby Burger" blog, I saw that he used a Chase Harper tail pack on the back seat of his B200. I used to have that very tail pack when I was riding motorcycles and it is a good piece of luggage. I'm thinkiing of buying one to use on my B200 when I need extra luggage space which shouldn't be very often now that I do not plan to do long rides as in the past.

Regarding MPG performance. I have no idea what I'm getting in miles per gallon. I do not buy my motorcycles or scooters for that reason. I do not keep track of the MPGs, though I think that on a couple of long rides in years past, I calculated my MPGs manually.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Regarding MPG performance. I have no idea what I'm getting in miles per gallon. I do not buy my motorcycles or scooters for that reason. I do not keep track of the MPGs, though I think that on a couple of long rides in years past, I calculated my MPGs manually.
The B200 displays its MPGs in the middle of the instrument panel in VERY LARGE DIGITS under the gas gauge. Suzuki really wants you to know your fuel economy.*

The calculated numbers are at least in the ballpark.

Since you're keeping speeds low during break-in, it's probably at least in the high 60s.

*The bike also has the green ECO light which is supposed to let you know when you're running at maximum efficiency. Mostly what it does is remind you to check to see if you left your turn signals on accidentally.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, the MPG light is reading from the 70s up to 80! I would rather have a ambient temp gauge like my B400 had. As I said,, I don't care what the MPGs are on my bikes as long as it doesn't seem to get down into the 30MPGs - Lol !

Today, I stuck on a Formotion air temp gauge that I had sitting around. It was reading in the mid & high 80s during the ride. I thought that the reading was too high from sitting on top of the handlebar cover but after I got home I checked my wife's weather station and it showed 85.5 degrees outside.

The green ECO light is mostly staying on. The dealer called me a few days after I bought the B200 and I remembered to ask him about the ECO light and he said that if it's lit up, that's a good thing. So I told him, good because that's mostly what it's been doing - staying lit.

Just got back from a ride on the local roads that run through the small hills where the huge wind turbines are located. The road is horribly bumpy due to the extreme weight of the trailers that bring in the turbine and other equipment.

The Butt Buffer pad was definitely needed. If I didn't have it on, I would not be able to ride on those two roads. The B400 could handle them without the pad but not the B200. There was no cross wind at all today so I could not test how the B200 will handle them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be okay in the winds.

As I get used to its handling and braking, I am enjoying the bike more. Seems quite stable and roadworthy and stays glued to the curves. Also, I noticed that I rode about 10 MPH slower than on my B400 on those roads today. Around town and in my 55 plus development, it is perfect!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts