Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol: Just bought new 650 Burg couple days ago.I think its the best bike I ever owned.I have owned many bikes over the years.I'm a 54 year old male living in N.E. KY.I love to ride by myself and with my wife two up.Glad I found this club.Need some comforting -up of my seat for my 54 year old butt.Any suggestions short of zillion dollar seats?
Thanks much,
Genorider

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
For your climate/etc. and from all I've read...
I bought a beadrider and it should be here tomorrow or Monday.
I have a sheepskin which helps some but it generates too much heat/burning for my liking. I figure I'll enjoy it far more in the winter. I bought the beadrider for summer/warmer weather riding and riding when rainy. Reports by forum members echo claims by the site that not only is it cooler and allows better separation when rainy (between you and the water) but that the pressure points where it gets painful at are widened, lessening that trend to get monkeyfied. One member rode around one of the great lakes (I believe 700+ miles) on a smaller scooter and claims it helped considerably I believe? :)

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Welcome, as for seats, a lot of options available. If you like to putter, you can try what I did. I'm 6'2" (or at least I was), and 52 yrs old. This also gave me more leg room.

(Link to pictures on my signature)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new ride as well.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
genorider

Welcome

Dude, 54 ain't OLD :wink: :wink: You will be on Medicare 3 years before I am, and I ain't even close to OLD

WE are experienced and seasoned riders

If you ride like you stole it and bypass ALL Dairy Queens then nobody will know that you're not a punk.

If you don't remove your helmet, even the hot babes won't think "ICK an old guy" :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Burger King is a "Sweet" Ride Dude :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bill

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I'm discovering that my 650's seat is getting broken in. The more I ride it the better it fits the shape of my behind. So don't rush to replace the seat. Give it a chance to adjust to you. You can always buy a replacement down the road if you think you need one then.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Greetings, Genorider. Welcome to the ICOBO. :hello2:

I thought my 650's seat was comfortable. I even did a 3,000 mile trip last summer over 10 days.

But the last several weeks I've been "training" for my Iron Butt Challenge (scheduled for Sept. 7th & 8th), and puting in 600 mile weekends and at least 100 miles on weekdays.

Either my bike's seat has changed lately, or I have. After 300 or so miles my tailbone gets sore. I'm thinking that removing some of the foam in the center of the seat and the center of the adjustable back support may be needed; I need more support outboard, and less pressure inboard.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the stock seat.

Many others have reported good results with sheepskin covers, gel pads, beaded covers, etc., all of which are less expensive that reupholstering or going with a custom seat.

Of course, custom seats may be the ultimate in comfort, and worth the cost for many.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome Genorider. My butt isn't 54 years old, but it will be in 3 weeks. I suffered on the stock seat too but bought myself an early birthday present a couple weeks ago and now have a big smile on both ends if you get my meaning. I bought the Airhawk (medium) seat cushion from
http://www.jpcycles.com and absolutely love it. A bit pricy at almost $160 but my southern hemisphere is worth it. Good luck on whatever solution you decide on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My Wife and I went to a sheep farm and looked at lots of sheep pelts. Found a brown mongrel that had the thickest & deepest wool I have ever seen. Cut the pelt up and made our own seat covers.
Reg, just wonderin. Did ya let the sheep slip it off before ya started cutting up the pelt?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
HI genorider :hello2:

Welcome to the forum. Hope you get your butt sorted as economically as possible. You have received good advice already, but i do remember someone on this forum had success with those padded cycling shorts. Now I am not sure if that was success in the comfort department or attracting interest from the chicks - but may be worth a try, either way? :lol:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
NormanB said:
HI genorider :hello2:

i do remember someone on this forum had success with those padded cycling shorts. Now I am not sure if that was success in the comfort department or attracting interest from the chicks - but may be worth a try, either way? :lol:
If they don't work there is alwasys THE THONG!!

That should slingshot you into the comfort zone.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I used a BeadRider for the round trip to Scootercade that I just completed. The round trip was about 1000 miles, with additional riding around the Eureka Springs , AR area. I am totally happy with that product so far. My butt never complained during the entire trip. $35 plus $7 shipping. I think it is well worth that.

http://www.beadrider.com/

·
Registered
103 Posts
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T I know you?????? :scratch:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pleasure meeting

Hey Silver Fox,
It was a pleasure meeting you and your pretty wife.Thanks for the infomation on my new 650 options.We are going to the Morehead motorcycle fest this week-end,hope to see you people there.
Be safe :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
It was a pleasure meeting you too!!! I may try to come to the get together also. If you don't mind and have the information available, would you post it under the rally and gatherings forum.. I knew there was a meeting but I don't know the location or times... There are some other Burgman owners in the state that might be interested in attending.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
welcome to the group!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts