Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several weeks of lurking I'm finally the owner of a 2004 Black Burgman 650! This is my second 2-wheel vehicle, the first being a 150cc Malaguti scooter which is now on eBay.

I'm located in Stamford, CT., and am 27 years old, so I think I'm on the younger end of Burgman riders. I was on the fence, but a recent trip to Florence convinced me that the Burgman is a mainstream vehicle, and seems to be hugely popular in a city where scoooters outnumber cars!

I purchased the bike from Stamford Motorsports, and was very pleased with the transaction. I got the bike down to $7300 and change out the door, and the salesman was pretty flexible. I was worried that I'd take a little flack for buying a scooter from what was primarily a motocycle dealer. The salesman was pretty cool, and then what really surprised me was the service guys.

This young dude brought the bike out, and had a huge grin. When he parked it and shut it off he said "These things are AWESOME, you're going to have a blast!" Then they brought over another guy to go over the bike with me. He was the typical tattooed, goatee'd service-type guy, but he also said "You're going to love this bike!" He went over the machine and really knew it well, which was impressive. He showed me everything from the ignition lock to checking/changing the oil.

I've only been able to put a meager 5 miles on the clock since I've been getting creamed with work, but tonight I'm taking the long way home if the rain holds off! If anyone in the area wants to ride, feel free to send me an email!

Pat

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
It's nice to see positive response and acceptance from other biker types.
The word is getting out, and Have fun with your new ride.

·
Registered
103 Posts
welcome to the club!

Hey, congratulations! I've had my black AN650 for a whole week, now.

Your story about being inspired while in Italy is mine, too. I first heard of and saw the "big scoots" while in Italy last year. It seemed like all the high-zoot types were on either Burgmans or SilverWings. Guys in $1,000 suits with their $100 ties flapping along behind. :lol:

Hope you enjoy as much as I am. This forum totally rocks!

Al

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scooters in Europe

Yeah, the first time I really considered a scooter was in college, but I had scooter and moped confused, and the lack of people riding them was a bit of a turn off. I've been facinated with motocycles since that time as well. Several years later during my first trip to Europe, I noticed how much smaller the cages were, and how much more prevalent scooters and motocycles were. The wheels started turning in my head, and I ended up with a 150cc Malaguti a couple years ago as my first 2-wheeled vehicle. I learned to ride on an MSF course on a 250cc Rebel, but a scooter had more of a Euro flare, and the smaller size made it more manueravable and easy. The idea of hopping on, "twisting and going" appealed to me, even though I perfer a manual trans in a car... go figure. Scooters in the city just make sense, as the European's demonstrate so well.

I outgrew the Malaguti and was considering a sport tourer like a Triumph Sprint ST or a BMW, but the prices were high, even for used, and it looked like I would have trouble taking my fiancee around in comfort. I remembered my Malaguti research, and looking at the Silver Wing, and that led me to the Burgman and the rest is history!

My most recent trip was to Italy (Florence, Venice and Asolo) and Paris, and I've never seen anything like Florence. The scooters literally outnumber the cars!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats Pat...

Hi Pat,

I picked up my Blue 400 today myself. I'm up in Windsor, just north of Hartford. I managed to get about 40 miles in before the rain....

Have fun,

Steve

·
Registered
969 Posts
Much of America doesn't know it yet, but we're on to something! 8)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Pat :wave: and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your newest ride and I hope the weather and work let up so you can enjoy it more. I bet the girlfriend will find the ride alot more comfy as well.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Welcome Pat

Hey Pat, Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Boston and went through your town often, on my way to the big apple. I'm in Tyler, Texas now and love being able to ride year round although it gets pretty hot July and August. I just wanted to say Hi and welcome. I'm planing a trip to Maine in the spring, will give you a heads up when I'm headed your way. You might show me a good place to eat.
Happy Trails,
Poppy #482

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poppy,

Will do! I grew up on the South Shore in MA myself, and lived in Central Square for a while as well. If you're swinging by Stamford drop me a PM at patgrayjr <at> yahoo.com and I can certainly guide you to a good resturaunt. Riding along Rt. 1 in this area has a few nice parts as well; gets you away from the semi's on I-95 and runs near the water for a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Pat! Welcome to the Forum. I know you're going to really enjoy your AN650. I just had the 600 mile service on my 650 (black also) and have loved every mile.
Take a look at the Suzuki accessory chrome piece that fits on the front of the fairing between the lights. Really adds some "flash" to the black bike. :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
HELLO Pat,
I too, live in Ct. ...in the Waterbury area. Hope you've had the opportunity to put more miles on your Burg. My wife and I just got back from a tour to Lake George, NY with our blue '03 Burg 650 loaded to the max! It performed admirably. The od is closing in on 2K miles and the more I ride it, the more I am impressed. (only wish the suspension had a bit more travel). I'm sure you will enjoy the bike, too. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts