Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after much soul searching and waffling, I finally made the big decision to purchase the Burgman 650. For the longest time, I was back and forth between the Suzuki C50T and the 650.

I took it our for a ride over to a parking lot the first nite just to get the feel for it and do some practising before I go into busy daytime traffic. Had a great time but laid it down twice!

First time, I was practicing my stops and just as I was coming to a full stop, my front tire hit a stone and twisted the wheel. Very quickly, I found myself trying to hang on as best I could. I carefully laid down and turned it off. Somewhere on this site, I had read an article on how to raise your fallen bike and I tried it out ... it worked! No damage to either of us other than my pride.

Coming into my driveway, there is quite a rise to get over the sidewalk. I didn't give the bike enough gas to get both wheels over the rise and oops! here we go again. As I was practising my Hercules routine again, I was able to gently lay it down and shut it off. Again, I used my bike raising technique (one heavy puppy!) and get it back on its feet. No damage to either of us again. The bike gods were smiling (laughing?) upon me.

Today, I'm reading the manual again as the weather is too wet to ride here in Calgary. I'm hoping one of you can help me out with a question. I read in the manual about the oil level and so forth, but how do you get at the oil cap? I have tried to get the covering off the "step thru" part but I have not been successful. Is there a special way to get it off to get access to?

Fantastic site with knowledgeable friendly people. It truly helped me make my decision.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
To remove the engine cover is quite simple once you get the hang of it (as with so many things!).

Remove the large phillips head screw just in front of the seat. Follow the seam just behind the screw down to the corners on each side. Just below those corners you will find an indent big enough to get a finger under. Pull straight out to the side & unclip the lower rear part of the cover on each side. Once this is accomplished, raise the rear of the cover & pull back slightly, until the edge of the cover clears the seat. Pull the cover rearward & up until it comes off completely. It would be wise to watch the front corners of the cover while doing this to see how the interlocking tabs work toward the front of the cover, this will make reinstalling the cover much easier.

Viola! There sits the engine in all her glory.

When reinstalling the cover, it's important to get those locking tabs towards the front of the cover lined up properly or you'll tend to cuss a bit trying to get the rear of the cover to clear the seat. Once everything is aligned & the tabs are seated properly, just press in the lower rear corners until you hear them seat, then simply reinstall the cover screw & you're done!

Hope this is clear enough, good luck playing with your new toy, & welcome Slicer!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi Slicer,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. I was born and raised in Calgary, but have live here in Victoria since 1971. I go back once in awhile for a visit, but always end up missing the smell of the ocean.

What weird weather you guys have been getting in the last ten years - droughts & floods. Sheesh! :shock:

I thinking of riding my 650 to Calgary in August to visit my 82 year old Dad. Got a picture of him last September sitting on a AN-400 in Blackfoot Motorsports. I'm sure he would love to go for a ride on my Burgy. Hopefully the weather will improve! 8)

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums slicer. Glad to have you join us. Congratulations on the new Burgman 650.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts