Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2005 Burgman 400 in blue from Mt. Baker Motorsports in Bellingham, Wa. So far so good! I had a 1988 Suzuki Katana 600 when I was a teenager. I thought I might miss the rush of being one with the bike, but I've got to admit I much prefer the riding posture of the Burgman, and the fact that I don't get cramps from bringing my knees to my ears. I have only ridden it about 20 miles, but I am happy with it so far. I am hoping to use it for commuting to work and quick jaunts to the store. It is easy to manuver and park. I am not sure I like the fact that the engine cuts off when the kickstand is lowered, but it will save me from any embarassing moments in the future. I haven't tried the center stand yet, but I understand it can be a bit tricky. Lots of space to store goodies under the seat, and I like the ignition lock cover gadget. I expect to get some razzing at work for riding a scooter, I guess I will cry all the way to the bank after I fill it up. Thanks for the great site and all the advise.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Brooks. Glad to have you join us. Congratulations on the new Burgman 400. Centerstanding the 400 isn't really that difficult. I put the bike on sidestand first, put my left hand on the left handle bar and right hand on the left passenger grip, push down with all my weight on the cernterstand while rocking the bike back and lifting up on the passenger grip. Even with a very painful hip putting the bike on centerstand is easy with a little practice.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Compared to most of the big motorcycles I've owned the centerstand on the Burgman 650 is very easy to use. Compared to a 250cc scooter, it may seem daunting I suppose. Considering that the 650 weighs over 500 lbs, the centerstand is excellent. Want a challenge? Try putting a Kawasaki Concours on it's centerstand. I lived with that for 6 years. Want another challenge? Try getting a Goldwing OFF of it's centerstand if it is pointing even slightly uphill. The AN650 is centerstand is well designed. But with any machine weighing over 500 lbs you do need to understand proper technique and use the leverage that is designed into the centerstand to lift the bike.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Brooks and welcome to the forums. Congrats on your new 400. I still get the odd raz about my scoot after 2 years of ownership. The first problem is all the people razing me don't even ride. I think deep down there just jealous. Then I always remind them that it only cost me $10 to fill up with gas and enquire what it cost them in there SUV.

Enjoy the forums and ride safe.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Working at a prison, I expected to receive a little flak when I first rode in. As a new employee there, I was basically just ignored. Now that I've been there awhile, and have ridden with a few of the other cyclists, I'm just another rider. No negative comments at all.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome Brooks! IMHO - I like it just as much when ppl "poo-poo" the burger as when the say "ooh-cool" - just me i guess. happy scootering!

·
Registered
250 Posts
new Burgman

Hi Brooks,

I'm a new 2005 Burgman 400 owner as well, in the Tri-Cities, WA. I've just turned 800 miles on mine. I love it, and I ride it everywhere, including cross country. Once it's broken in (you are following break-in procedure, right?) it will have enough power and mobility to keep up with anything with 2 wheels or 4 in the city. I get great comments on mine, and even grizzled old dudes on Harleys wave hi as I drive by, so I doubt anyone will give you much trouble for it being a "scooter". Most people don't realize it's not a sport bike until they see the side profile anyway.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums hrdillender. Glad to have you join us.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Hrdillender - Shoot us a post in the who r u deal-e-bob!

Welcome to you!

Sorry Brooks :oops:

Pete 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts