Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a new 2003 650 Cheeseburger, a 2005 (Current) and a 2007 and I've really enjoyed them all. I am thinking about selling my Goldwing and my Kymco and buying another 650 Burgman. I would want a new 2015 but I would like some opinions from you learned 650 owners: Good idea? What do you think?

Thanks, Sam:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my garage as I type, is a 2012 Goldwing, (mine) and a 2013 Burgman 650 (hers). She has been on several 700 + mile adventure weekends with me and has no problem keeping up with whatever pace we ride. Her description of it is its a giant mini-bike that you just twist and go. With a better seat, windshield, and an electric cruise control, it would be complete for a long distance tourer. She loves that bike. With the above mentioned items, it would be a tough decision for me, which bike I would want to take for a long distance trip. It's that good.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Personally I do not like the new model , it feels like I am sitting more on top of the bike and having to lean over for the handlebars . Where as with the older models with risers on the handlebars and a Utopia back rest , I feel more like I'm sitting in the bike in a much more relaxed position . I would suggest you head down to a dealer that has one , and if they won't let you ride it just sit on it for a while and get to know it . I spent a good hour one day doing just that , and found it wasn't to my liking . Good luck .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
753 Posts
While I am much quicker to hop on my 2007 Executive for a "quickish" spin this time of year I still prefer my 2010 Goldwing for the longer rides. Longer being those over 300 miles or so.

I like the built in GPS even though I don't use it much unless I am going someplace that I haven't been to before. And I like the satellite radio and the couple hundred radio stations to choose from. I really like the cruise control and the turbine like smoothness and power. Even the little things like the warm air toe warmers can make for a better ride.

When the day comes when I no longer take several hundred mile rides or week long trips I just hope that I will still have my Burgman to ride. As comfy as the Wing is on a long trip it don't bring any bigger smiles than my lovely red scooter does.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think the new models (2013+) are a major improvement, especially if the CVT issue was addressed. Just the ease of pushing around and getting ride of the abruptness of the throttle off/on is a plus. Mileage is better as well. And the analog gauges is another plus.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Every now and then I think about changing to another model, but, I have no idea what I might choose.

The 2007 Burgey is so "fit for purose" I even took the Givi topcase off when I realised that "as delivered" did everything I needed.

Okay, so other "Bikers" in the family take the piss about it being a scooter, one tried to push me towards a Honda Deauville - but why change? The Burgey has it all.

Sure the engine braking in town can be annoying, but CVT has a lot of advantages, I'll never understand a preference for a manual gearbox (more so for cars where I think the preference has something to do with twiddling a phallus... ), and there is no french car that can keep up at legal road speeds.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
How do (did) you guys like those T-Max's you listed? I am seriously considering replacing my 400K6 with one.

There is nothing that is comparable to the T-max , it's kind of in a class by itself . Quick and responsive on the road for one person not good 2 up , tall bike so not good for those under 6 foot tall . Weird wide seat area and you have to lean over and down to the handle bars . The seat area is so wide that you get a kink in your hips until you get used to it . Not a bike for longer trips , actually an hour is enough for me . I've had the 09 since 09 and bought it new for $6,450 out the door . It's fun to drive and feels like a sports bike scooter if that makes any sense . I would tell some one to definitely test drive one before you buy . The way I feel about my T-max is , I like having it even though I rarely ride it because it is fun to ride . If some one offered me 5K for it I would be tempted to sell it , but the problem with selling it there is nothing out there to replace it with .

You drive a 400 Burg , if I were you I would test drive a T-max and see if you like it . But I would also keep an eye out for a nice low mileage pristine 650 Burg in the $3,500 range , they aren't that easy to find but it's worth the hunt and it's the best ride in the scooter world . To me despite the 650's CVT problem , they are still dirt cheap for what you are getting . Truthfully $3,500 for a bike like the 650 is almost a joke .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 13+ are more refined. When you let off the throttle the engine braking is much less (more like an actual motorcycle). Its much easier to move around when the engine is shut off. You can read the instruments in direct sunlight, and the milage is better. We had an 08 and it was nice, but our 2013 is a keeper.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks very much for the replies.:eek:

After a lot of reading and your responses, I think I'll get a 2014 or 15 soon.;)

As regards the T-max, I also bought one in 2009 when they first hit these shores. My first ride was a real eye opener: Not as comfy as the 650 Burgman and maybe just a tad slower in top speed, the T-max was like hopping in a new Corvette and my 650's were more like Cadillac's.:rolleyes:

It is a real shame that Yamaha hasn't continued to send them here. Europe has the new T-max 530 and it has significant improvements.

Sam:cool:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
When you let off the throttle the engine braking is much less (more like an actual motorcycle).
Actually, the motorcycle has very strong engine braking especially big twins, but they have a clutch to control it. Managing the engine braking through throttle operation is doable but i wouldn't say it's very right. So i like the new 650 much more in this regard.

·
Registered
630 Posts
As regards the T-max, I also bought one in 2009 when they first hit these shores. My first ride was a real eye opener: Not as comfy as the 650 Burgman and maybe just a tad slower in top speed, the T-max was like hopping in a new Corvette and my 650's were more like Cadillac's.:rolleyes:
We get the 530s up in Canada, USD forks, radial brakes and LED lighting. Neat stuff but not cheap. Verging on R6 territory in terms of price. The European market is more granular, so it definitely sells there as scooters are serious business.

I think Suzuki is too effective at bracketing the Tmax for it to be successful here. The 400 excels at being a cheaper urban runabout with highway credentials. The 650 is the tourer with creature comforts that can dance downtown if required. Both have proper trunks. Really want performance? There are Gixxers everywhere (and Burgmans too), new and used, for the cost of a T-max.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Does the second generation B650 have any advantages other than easier to push and does not the 'braking effort' when letting off the throttle?

As for the CVT, I don't see any real advantages... and as for long term, high mileage benefits... no one has put enough mileage on the second generation B650 to know if any advantages at this time.

I have the 2014 Goldwing 1800F6B and the Burgman 650[k-9]. Unless any real substantial changes to the newer generation B650, I have no wish to upgrade.

Personally I do not like the new model , it feels like I am sitting more on top of the bike and having to lean over for the handlebars . Where as with the older models with risers on the handlebars and a Utopia back rest , I feel more like I'm sitting in the bike in a much more relaxed position.
I have to agree with TheReaper - when I sat on a 2014 Burgman 650, I was not impressed. It felt more like I was sitting on the motorcycle while the K-series, I feel like I'm sitting in the motorcycle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up a 2014 Burgman 650 yesterday - my first. It was a sweet 20 mile ride from the dealership. If you plan on financing, Suzuki is running their "Wrap a Ride" promotion through 1/31 with 0% for 5 years.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
0% only good on 2013 & 14, 2.99% on 2015. ;)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I only have about 400 miles on my new 2014, and have not ridden it aggressively during the break-in period. But here are my early impressions compared to my trusty '07:

I too feel like I'm sitting 'on' the bike, but I have that same sensation on the 07 - for me it's a push in this respect.

The '14 seems a bit narrower in the seating position and the floorboard cutouts are different so I have more of a foot plant when stopped. This gives the impression of riding a less bulky bike and having greater physical mastery over it (I'm 5'8" with a 30 inseam). Advantage '14.

Although it essentially weighs the same as pre-13's, it feels lighter and responds quicker in turns - it has a degree of 'flickiness' that the '07 doesn't. Advantage '14.

Torque: Again, I'm still in the break-in period, but my sense is that the '07 has more torque - it pulls harder from a stop, accelerates to speed a bit quicker. At freeway speeds the two bikes feel about the same. Advantage '07

Engine breaking: Big difference. The '14 still has it, but maybe 35-40% less (how does one even estimate this?). For lower speed, in town riding - advantage '14. But for aggressive canyon/mountain riding, I think I'm going to miss it - here it's advantage '07.

Suspension/rough pavement: they both suck.

Storage: As a multi-day tourer, I value every square inch of storage. The '14 trunk is a bit longer, but is almost two inches narrower. No problem for in-town grocery runs, but for touring - Advantage '07.

Gas mileage: Based on the conservative riding I've done on the '14, my '07 would have averaged 48-50 mpg. My two fill-ups on the '14 average 55.5. Advantage '14.

Styling: I like the analog dash, and my ass no longer looks fat. Stuck with the single color choice. Advantage '14.

Value: If I thought a decent choice of used 13's & 14's would come on the market in the next year I would have been patient. But I saw the best advertised price for a new '14 I'd ever seen in So. Cal ($8999, before tax) and went for it. But value-wise, if you can find a well kept, low mileage '09 - '12, your grins-per-dollar spent ratio will be much better than buying new.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Year model choices for the Burgman 650

I have had a new 2003 650 Cheeseburger, a 2005 (Current) and a 2007 and I've really enjoyed them all. I am thinking about selling my Goldwing and my Kymco and buying another 650 Burgman. I would want a new 2015 but I would like some opinions from you learned 650 owners: Good idea? What do you think?

Thanks, Sam:cool:
My 2012 650 was wiped out in a minor accident this month and since the insurance co. was footing the bill for a another scoot I considered the 12 through 15 models. The color for the 2014 was horrible. It is a flat greenish black color. I ended up with a white 2011 with 4,000 miles on it. I can't tell it from new. The price out the door was $3,000 less then new. This was from a dealer in Sarasota FL. Shop around. There are bargains out there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I only have about 400 miles on my new 2014, and have not ridden it aggressively during the break-in period. But here are my early impressions compared to my trusty '07:

I too feel like I'm sitting 'on' the bike, but I have that same sensation on the 07 - for me it's a push in this respect.

The '14 seems a bit narrower in the seating position and the floorboard cutouts are different so I have more of a foot plant when stopped. This gives the impression of riding a less bulky bike and having greater physical mastery over it (I'm 5'8" with a 30 inseam). Advantage '14.

Although it essentially weighs the same as pre-13's, it feels lighter and responds quicker in turns - it has a degree of 'flickiness' that the '07 doesn't. Advantage '14.

Torque: Again, I'm still in the break-in period, but my sense is that the '07 has more torque - it pulls harder from a stop, accelerates to speed a bit quicker. At freeway speeds the two bikes feel about the same. Advantage '07

Engine breaking: Big difference. The '14 still has it, but maybe 35-40% less (how does one even estimate this?). For lower speed, in town riding - advantage '14. But for aggressive canyon/mountain riding, I think I'm going to miss it - here it's advantage '07.

Suspension/rough pavement: they both suck.

Storage: As a multi-day tourer, I value every square inch of storage. The '14 trunk is a bit longer, but is almost two inches narrower. No problem for in-town grocery runs, but for touring - Advantage '07.

Gas mileage: Based on the conservative riding I've done on the '14, my '07 would have averaged 48-50 mpg. My two fill-ups on the '14 average 55.5. Advantage '14.

Styling: I like the analog dash, and my ass no longer looks fat. Stuck with the single color choice. Advantage '14.

Value: If I thought a decent choice of used 13's & 14's would come on the market in the next year I would have been patient. But I saw the best advertised price for a new '14 I'd ever seen in So. Cal ($8999, before tax) and went for it. But value-wise, if you can find a well kept, low mileage '09 - '12, your grins-per-dollar spent ratio will be much better than buying new.

Owning both models IMHO this is the best description of the differences I read. Nicely done, Jeff.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I like the comment on Engine Breaking. - good to know the '14 breaks 35-40% less frequently. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts