Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2009 AN650 with 15K miles and the nice Givi trunk. I miss having a clutch but I'm getting used to it. I was on 4 wheels for 10 years, finally got the successful back operation and now I'm back on two. The seller had the original back rest upgraded to a full lumbar support job, nice.

The weird thing was the day I bought it. It looks almost new, obviously well maintained, purchased from an 85-year-old seller who I am sure was honest. I drove it around all day, stopping at friend's houses etc, before finally parking it in my driveway. When I went back out to put it in the garage, it was like somebody had stolen the battery--no life at all! Thank god it died in my driveway.

Fortunately the seller had included a service manual with schematics, and I just started at the battery and worked my way forward with the Simpson. It turned out to be completely burned open contacts on the ignition switch assembly, only the 15A ignition circuit. I thought about letting a shop do a $400 repair, and decided a $2 toggle switch would be a better way to go. I found the 8 screws to pull the dashboard off, and when I pulled the switch assembly plug, the burned circuit was obvious. A couple snips, a couple wire nuts and some zip cord, and I'm back in business. I have to turn the key before switching the toggle to keep the computer happy. I can live with this.

It feels really good to be back on two wheels. I am very impressed with all the features of the 650. This neck of the woods has cicadas in biblical proportions at the moment, so after only a couple weeks I've already given the beast a bath.

·
Premium Member
17,485 Posts
You da man!!! Welcome to the forum , great pics and story, lets hope there are many more miles before you have to repair again and you can share riding pics and stories instead

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,156 Posts
@chaslittell
Welcome sir. Definitely not the normal way of buying a bike but not unheard of either. It happens and it looks like you learned from it and added a level of security to your bike. After you ride a bit more, you will get to a point where the clutch is nothing but a distant memory to you. It's way better to just twist and go as appropriate. It's a part of the Burgman grin but don't tell anyone else.
Get out and enjoy the new to you scooter.
Ride safe there man.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts