Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Traded in my Honda 1800 VTX Friday for an black 04 Burgy 650.

Guess I just had my fill of the "1800 fuel injected" attitudes. Have monitored this site for the last week and it's refreshing, just nice people helping and relating to other nice people without all the "attitude."

As for the Burgy, it's very deceptive; sounds like a scooter at idle, and goes like a big bike when you twist the throttle. It's going to surprise a lot of bikers and cagers. Definitely puts a smile on my face and gets more relaxing every time I ride it.

Love the low center of gravity and twist and go operation.

I have already learned a lot in the last week about the Burgy and hope I can contribute in the future. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Bill and welcome to the forum. Glad to hear your enjoying the Burgman. I'm curious........did you find this forum after getting your Burgman or were you researching the Burgman and found us before you bought?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to Burgman USA!! I am sure you will find all the help you need concerning your 650. Safe riding 8)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Greetings Bill, and welcome to the forum.

I used to live in Tampa (1969 - 1972), and still visit Orlando and Tampa once in a while.

A little over a month on my AN650 and loving every mile of it; sure you will too. 8)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Bs,
I went over to Honda's site after you mentioned the VTX1800 to take
a look at it.
You can tell that the old man is dead by the way they're designing
these bikes.

Did you "customize" yours before trading?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ajwood said:
a look at it.
these bikes.
The VTX styling leaves me cold too. But the Honda Valkyrie Rune scares me. It is the ugliest motorcycle I've ever seen - with the possible exception of that rotary engine thing Suzuki made back around 1980.

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle ... d=NRX18DA4

My opinion only... Your eyes might see it differently.

·
Registered
925 Posts
pauljo said:
ajwood said:
a look at it.
these bikes.
The VTX styling leaves me cold too. But the Honda Valkyrie Rune scares me. It is the ugliest motorcycle I've ever seen - with the possible exception of that rotary engine thing Suzuki made back around 1980.

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle ... d=NRX18DA4

My opinion only... Your eyes might see it differently.

I absolutley love the VTX and the Rune. But that is my opinion. The only drawback to the Rune for me besides its price is the fact that anyone over 6 ft. tall has a real hard time riding it. As far as the VTX goes, I was considering buying one instead of the Burg, but I really don't feel like shifting gears. Gets a little uncomfortable with bad knees and a size 18!!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Egads! I hadn't noticed that. $25,000 for that Rune thing?... I went back to look at it again to see if I could talk myself into liking it. Then I saw the price and got frightened again. :shock:

I dunno. For $18K I could buy a Gold Wing that is actually useful for touring & comfortable to ride. Or for $25K I could buy a styling exercise that really isn't useful for much... I guess I'm just not a very good poser.

Actually if I did want to pose I think I'd buy a Ducati, and the requesite additional $3000 worth of carbon fiber bits & pieces...

Or I could maybe just ride a Super Scooter! Yeah! I think that's a good plan! 8)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Also consider this, the VTX 1800 will walk off and leave the Rune!! The Rune is a beautiful bike, but the price is outrageous!! Get rid of it, and bring back the Valkryie/Interstate models. This time with the 1800 instead of the 1500. LOVE THE VALKRYIE!!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome Bill! Glad you're finding the Burgie a much more enjoyable ride. We're debating whether to get my better 1/2 a 250 cc Reflex (used, probably what we can afford--otherwise we'd be a 2 Burgie family) or a small traditional cycle like a Virago. (For the price, primarily.)

I know I *can* ride a shift/clutch motorcycle, but I'm really not sure I want to because I love being "shift-free". Guess you know that feeling now, too. :wink:

Wishing you many happy and safe miles on your new steed,

Bryna

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
JD said:
The Rune is a beautiful bike, but the price is outrageous!! Get rid of it, and bring back the Valkryie/Interstate models. This time with the 1800 instead of the 1500. LOVE THE VALKRYIE!!!!
I liked the basic Valkyrie too! I always wanted to ride one, but never got the chance. I had signed up for a demo ride at a rider's event one time, but it started raining and they cancelled all the rides. :cry:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome!

allwalk - I was doing research and found the site before I pchsed the Burgy. What I read here definitely influenced my decision.

Brian - I'm about 70 miles north of Tampa and 1 1/2 hours from Orlando. Both will be destinations after I break "her" in.

ajwood - yep, about 2k of custom accessories, most for making me more comfortable.

pauljo & JD - I like the VTX retro styling which most find "over the top" but the Rune is just massive overkill, IMHO.
Prices on the Rune are coming down towards 20k, but a goldwing with all of the accessories which used to come standard is about 25k.

Invincsum - I can go either way, but "shiftfree" really puts a smile on my face; just twist-and-go, ya gotta love it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
pauljo said:
...liked the basic Valkyrie too! I always wanted to ride one, but never got the chance...
You take a cruise missile, remove the wings, add a speedometer and wheels - same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts