Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new scoot tonight, so with the addition of this 2011 (new leftover), I now have a 650 and a 400.
[attachment=3:bb85czeg]650 8.jpg[/attachment:bb85czeg]

[attachment=2:bb85czeg]650 3.jpg[/attachment:bb85czeg]

And with his little brother.......
[attachment=1:bb85czeg]650 and 400 3.jpg[/attachment:bb85czeg]

[attachment=0:bb85czeg]650 and 400 7.jpg[/attachment:bb85czeg]

Though I've only got 13miles on the newbie, I'm very happy with my purchase.
Having been a 400 owner for a while, and read up on here about the 650's, my first impressions coincide with many comments here before, but some don't:
The standard screen could be a little taller, and definitely more ridgid, but with respect to the airflow in various positions, the jury is still out, and I may be able to live with it (I'm 5' 9").

I'm not sure how long I could stay in the saddle in one go. It doesn't seem as pliable as the 400's, but again, I'll have to wait and see.

Low speed handling was never an issue, I guess it all depends what you are used to. For someone coming from a 400 or smaller scoot, I can see that it would be more difficult to handle, but having come from 800+lb tourer and a 600+lb tourer, it seems positively spritely. So I'm real happy here.

I'm very much looking forward to getting more experience on the Lardy, and a summary of the first impressions? I should have done this before now!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Congratulations on the new Burgy and enjoy it you will. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I love it already...in my opinion a big step up from the C50 it replaced.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm sure you will enjoy both. My wife has a 400 and a while ago I also traded in my c50 for a 09 650 I find I use both. Each is a bit different but great in their own way. I really can't say I like one more than the other. Enyoy !!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice, and green with envy! :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nice, and the photos side by side are a bonus too. Is the 650 an exec model? (I answered that by looking more closely at the pics and see you have the exec model). I'm taller than you slightly at 183cm (6') and find the screens on both my 650K3 in NZ and my 650K7 in mainland China to be just right at almost any adjustment. Screen set at lowest setting gives me a slight wind blast in the face, but raise the screen 2-3cm is enough to direct the airflow up and over my helmets. I prefer the slight breeze in the face most of the time, but when the air quality turns belly up (common in mainland China) or as we apporach winter here, then I do like to have the option to raise the screen as needed. I don't like to have the screen raised too high though as I don't like to look through the screen, and the slight distortion makes that only slightly worse. It's bad enough sometimes with the screen at its lowest setting as there are times when I hit some irregularities in the road surface that I have not seen, and that in China can be one pain in the arse, not so much for me, but for the bike.

In NZ I use a Shark Evoline-2 modular helmet and in China I have 3-4 helmet choices though tend to use my HTC IS-multi the most. If I have the peak on either of the HTC IS-multi or the Nolan N43 Air, I find that there is a little bit of wind resistance forced into the peak and that might lead to a neck type strain if the screen was at its lowest setting on day long butt ride.

BTW is that a BESTEM 2012 box you have on your 400? BESTEM is actually manufactured by a Chinese company called ADLO (http://www.adlo.net) and I have 5 of their top box products including a "2012" model.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bikerdoc said:
Nice, and the photos side by side are a bonus too. Is the 650 an exec model? (I answered that by looking more closely at the pics and see you have the exec model). I'm taller than you slightly at 183cm (6') and find the screens on both my 650K3 in NZ and my 650K7 in mainland China to be just right at almost any adjustment. Screen set at lowest setting gives me a slight wind blast in the face, but raise the screen 2-3cm is enough to direct the airflow up and over my helmets. I prefer the slight breeze in the face most of the time, but when the air quality turns belly up (common in mainland China) or as we apporach winter here, then I do like to have the option to raise the screen as needed. I don't like to have the screen raised too high though as I don't like to look through the screen, and the slight distortion makes that only slightly worse. It's bad enough sometimes with the screen at its lowest setting as there are times when I hit some irregularities in the road surface that I have not seen, and that in China can be one pain in the arse, not so much for me, but for the bike.

In NZ I use a Shark Evoline-2 modular helmet and in China I have 3-4 helmet choices though tend to use my HTC IS-multi the most. If I have the peak on either of the HTC IS-multi or the Nolan N43 Air, I find that there is a little bit of wind resistance forced into the peak and that might lead to a neck type strain if the screen was at its lowest setting on day long butt ride.

BTW is that a BESTEM 2012 box you have on your 400? BESTEM is actually manufactured by a Chinese company called ADLO (http://www.adlo.net) and I have 5 of their top box products including a "2012" model.
To the best of my knowledge, the non-Exec model was dropped in the US after 2009, so all 2011 onwards 605's in the US are Exec's......but I would have got the Exec anyway, as I'm a bit of a gadget freak, so would have to have gotten the one with the "toys" anyway!

I guess with the shield it's all what your used to. Having a background of riding tourers and sports-tourers, I'm fairly accustomed to sitting in a pocket of still air, and have no qualms looking through a screen (but must admit the option to pull it down out of the way in the rain is highly desirable).
Having said that, I think I'll be able to live with standard shield, but possibly fitting a laminar lip.

I actually spent a bit of time in China in the 90's (totalling probably about 3 years) mainly in Yunnan and Sichuan, but also in Henan and Shangdong too, with an occasional few days in the Beijing area too. So I know what you are talking about with the air quality.

It is indeed a Bestem 2012, which I've had on there for almost two years now, and for the money, I'm very happy with it. Waterproof, if slightly awkward in operation.
I also fitted a three case set-up with 929's before, on a C50 I used to have, which wasn't the prettiest set-up, but allowed a lot of capacity (I can post a pic if you want to see it). I was planning on fitting a box to the 650, and was leaning towards another 2012 (because of the color-coding), but my wife declared she liked the look of the backrest, and I don't often use the box on the 400 (plus I have some Nelson-Rigg 850 bags I can throw on for extra capacity), so I might see if I can get by without.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Way to go on your new addition. I have two 650 Burgman Executives which I love to ride. I have a red 07 with 38,000 Florida miles on it and silver 06 that I leave in Virginia for summer rides. I put 7,000 miles on the 06 this summer with many mountain rides.

So I know you can’t beat the 650EX for great rides! Enjoy Scooter John :cheers:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Fatjock said:
bikerdoc said:

To the best of my knowledge, the non-Exec model was dropped in the US after 2009, so all 2011 onwards 605's in the US are Exec's......but I would have got the Exec anyway, as I'm a bit of a gadget freak, so would have to have gotten the one with the "toys" anyway!

I guess with the shield it's all what your used to. Having a background of riding tourers and sports-tourers, I'm fairly accustomed to sitting in a pocket of still air, and have no qualms looking through a screen (but must admit the option to pull it down out of the way in the rain is highly desirable).
Having said that, I think I'll be able to live with standard shield, but possibly fitting a laminar lip.

I actually spent a bit of time in China in the 90's (totalling probably about 3 years) mainly in Yunnan and Sichuan, but also in Henan and Shangdong too, with an occasional few days in the Beijing area too. So I know what you are talking about with the air quality.

It is indeed a Bestem 2012, which I've had on there for almost two years now, and for the money, I'm very happy with it. Waterproof, if slightly awkward in operation.
I also fitted a three case set-up with 929's before, on a C50 I used to have, which wasn't the prettiest set-up, but allowed a lot of capacity (I can post a pic if you want to see it). I was planning on fitting a box to the 650, and was leaning towards another 2012 (because of the color-coding), but my wife declared she liked the look of the backrest, and I don't often use the box on the 400 (plus I have some Nelson-Rigg 850 bags I can throw on for extra capacity), so I might see if I can get by without.
Dropping the standard model seems to make some sense, since in many regions there isn't that bigger price difference between the standard & executive models. I also like to have all the toys, gadgets and gizmos & personally I like having the ability to retract the mirrors on the fly when lane splitting especially when doing so between stationary vehicles at traffic lights, when filtering through narrow lines etc. The ability to raise & lower the screen is something I do when I'm riding in areas where the air is bad, or when following vehicles or trucks, especially dump trucks that billowing large amounts of dirt from the rear. A standard screen with laminer tip is likely to work, though I wonder if it is price competitive to an after market screen replacement with a different profile?

If you haven't been back to China since the late nineties, then things have changed immensely since then and you'd likely be shocked at changes that have taken place with places you may recall or had become familiar with, even since early 2000 since I have lived here and been in some of the areas you had in the nineties. Many of those same areas & regions have witnessed phenomenal changes. I lived in Shanghai for two years going back eight-nine years ago and rode up there for a weekend a couple of weeks back. Rode my AN650K7 Exec from Ningbo which is a seven-eight hour ride (covering around 500km plus or minus) as bikes still cannot use much of the national expressway system. I rode round some of the area I lived in and other areas I knew really well, and I could hardly recognise any it. So if you have the opportunity to revisit China again, you will be amazed at the transformation.

The C50 setup with the Bestem (ADLO) 929's (please do post a few pics if you wish) sound very similar setup that one inmate over on the yamahasupertenere.com forum has on the rear of his XT1200Z, where he also runs a pair of 929's as side cases and a 929 top case. I'd have the 929 as a top case on any of my rides (XT1200Z, AN650K7 or K3, XVS1100A, Jetmax, K1), but personally wouldn't want to have a pair as side cases since I think they'd provide too wider a profile at the rear and hinder my ability to filter & lane split etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats! you'll enjoy the lardy. especially if you can find a seat mod or gel pad for longer rides.

I too had (have) a c50, but the AN650 gets 80 percent of the riding time. Except when the 650 is in the shop, like now, getting a new rectifier, so the c50 gets 100 percent of riding time for now. Too bad the don't make a Mustang seat for the 650.....

Ride safe,

David

·
Registered
748 Posts
Congratulations. Just thought I would note that I felt there was a nice amount of 'break in' with my new 2012, meaning, the ride seemed to be more plush after 500 miles or so. Maybe that's where you feel the lack of comfort vs your 400?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike337 said:
Congratulations. Just thought I would note that I felt there was a nice amount of 'break in' with my new 2012, meaning, the ride seemed to be more plush after 500 miles or so. Maybe that's where you feel the lack of comfort vs your 400?

I think some of it could just be in my head, but the 400 just seems less "firm", yet just as "tight", if that makes any sense to you. I'm certainly not unhappy with the big guy, just feel more "at home" on the 400...........for now! :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Maybe you just need your seat redone... Will make the ride much more comfortable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts