Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Burgman 650 Exec. 2018 (mat black)
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have been reading this forum and just joined.
My name is Albert and I am Dutch but have been living on the island Malta for many years.
I always had bikes, when it was possible, as soon as I got driving license.
My first bike was Kawasaki 250, then Suzuki GT750 (Water Buffalo), Honda CB550-Four and another Suzuki GT750.
I was not able / not feasible to have bikes for some years due to my international work and travels.
When I settled in Malta, I got a scooter as daily runner; Piaggio Typhoon 125.
Still having the urge for a proper bike, I then also got a Suzuki 750 Intruder.
I then traded the Piaggio Typhoon for a Kymco Grand Dink (Vista) 250 scooter as daily runner, to have bit more power and space for passenger, I still have this Kymco and use it nearly daily.
I then traded the Intruder for a Honda NT650V Deauville, to have storage and for some touring.
Malta is a small island and we cannot tour much but we have the option of taking a ferry across to Sicily / Italy.
It turned out however that I did not use the Deauville much due to local traffic and was getting tired of clutch / shifting gears and tended to pick the Kymco quicker, so I sold the Deauville again.
I still wanted however to have something more larger / powerful beside the Kymco and thus decided on a larger / maxi scooter.
I looked at Yamaha Tmax and Kymco 550, both locally available new and used.
I however always fancied the Burgman 650 but problem is that they are no longer new available and also I did not find them second hand locally.
I then looked on Italian websites and found them available there.
I then decided, what the heck, I am going to get a Burgman 650 and will import it from Italy.
I found a 2018 one with 15712 Km, mat black grafite, online and bought it.
I am having it transported to me in Malta by truck.
All paperwork is done and now eagerly awaiting for it to arrive, hopefully next week.
Hopefully it will be what I expect it to be.

Premium Member
My 2006 turned out to be More Than Expected .... Thanks to Suzuki and the Previous Owner.

Post some pics taking it off the truck馃榾

Premium Member
pretty sure you will find it is all you want it to be and more, welcome to the biig scoot world, do the emergency seat release mod and send us some touring pics!

Registered
Congrats and welcome. Italy is a beautiful country to tour. I've been on the Almalfi coast, Rome of course and the Perugia region. Been to the monsters of Bomarza also. Lots to see.

Reactions: MattR

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty sure you will find it is all you want it to be and more, welcome to the biig scoot world, do the emergency seat release mod and send us some touring pics!
What is the deal with the emergency seat release, is there a problem with the normal (key) seat release ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats and welcome. Italy is a beautiful country to tour. I've been on the Almalfi coast, Rome of course and the Perugia region. Been to the monsters of Bomarza also. Lots to see.

I bought it in Genoa, north Italy.
My original thought was to fly over to Italy and drive in back (1000 miles / 1600 km) but problem is Covid and travel. Decided it better / safer to get it transported by truck.
There is a Maltese trucking company that has depot in Genova and weekly trucks to Malta, so worked out good.
Hopefully get to go over in future and tour in Italy.

Registered
Hi All,

I have been reading this forum and just joined.
My name is Albert and I am Dutch but have been living on the island Malta for many years.
I always had bikes, when it was possible, as soon as I got driving license.
My first bike was Kawasaki 250, then Suzuki GT750 (Water Buffalo), Honda CB550-Four and another Suzuki GT750.
I was not able / not feasible to have bikes for some years due to my international work and travels.
When I settled in Malta, I got a scooter as daily runner; Piaggio Typhoon 125.
Still having the urge for a proper bike, I then also got a Suzuki 750 Intruder.
I then traded the Piaggio Typhoon for a Kymco Grand Dink (Vista) 250 scooter as daily runner, to have bit more power and space for passenger, I still have this Kymco and use it nearly daily.
I then traded the Intruder for a Honda NT650V Deauville, to have storage and for some touring.
Malta is a small island and we cannot tour much but we have the option of taking a ferry across to Sicily / Italy.
It turned out however that I did not use the Deauville much due to local traffic and was getting tired of clutch / shifting gears and tended to pick the Kymco quicker, so I sold the Deauville again.
I still wanted however to have something more larger / powerful beside the Kymco and thus decided on a larger / maxi scooter.
I looked at Yamaha Tmax and Kymco 550, both locally available new and used.
I however always fancied the Burgman 650 but problem is that they are no longer new available and also I did not find them second hand locally.
I then looked on Italian websites and found them available there.
I then decided, what the heck, I am going to get a Burgman 650 and will import it from Italy.
I found a 2018 one with 15712 Km, mat black grafite, online and bought it.
I am having it transported to me in Malta by truck.
All paperwork is done and now eagerly awaiting for it to arrive, hopefully next week.
Hopefully it will be what I expect it to be.
Welcome Albert!

Never been to Malta, but I've been to Sicily. If it's anything like Sicily I'll bet there are some beautiful drives there!

When I was in Italy last I noticed that a lot of scooter riders had a covering that would wrap around the scooter and around their waist.
It looked like it would make riding in cool weather more enjoyable, but I've never seen anything like that in the states.
Are you familiar with these? Do you know what they are called?

Your English is excellent BTW! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Welcome Albert!

Never been to Malta, but I've been to Sicily. If it's anything like Sicily I'll bet there are some beautiful drives there!

When I was in Italy last I noticed that a lot of scooter riders had a covering that would wrap around the scooter and around their waist.
It looked like it would make riding in cool weather more enjoyable, but I've never seen anything like that in the states.
Are you familiar with these? Do you know what they are called?

Your English is excellent BTW! :)
I also like touring in Sicily with nice winding road and hope to get over there again soon.
Malta is a lot smaller (17 miles x 9 miles = 95 sq mi) and heavy traffic.
Doing lots of lane splitting here and my Kymco GD is perfect for that, it has same mirrors system as Burgman (low and electric folding)
Hope that Burgman will hold up in traffic but probably bit less than Kymco GD.

Them covers are called Apron, not sure if you will find them locally but you can find them on Amazon or eBay.

Registered

"Tucano" is the popular one in UK. All the UK sellers seem not to want to export though! The link above is an Italian oufit who will send to US, at a cost., but you may not have to pay their VAT? (22%)

Reactions: DarisPakar

Premium Member
What is the deal with the emergency seat release, is there a problem with the normal (key) seat release ?
normally no, sometimes the cables rust and break, but the biggest problem by far is you get distracted and lock your key inside the trunk accidentally, then you either spend a couple hours getting the trunk open , or just pull on a little hidden cord and it is open, also if you happen to have a malfunction that gives a fault indication code, you can open the trunk and get to the dealer mode plug without having to switch off the bike to pop the trunk, and that switching off erases the code.

Registered
As Mikey said, also since fitting my little pull line I hardly ever use the key as it's much easier just to tug on the thing and pop the seat.
Looking at the bikes you've had you will love the Burgman and wonder why you hadn't found one sooner. Enjoy, and remember to pop back and let us know your thoughts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As Mikey said, also since fitting my little pull line I hardly ever use the key as it's much easier just to tug on the thing and pop the seat.
Looking at the bikes you've had you will love the Burgman and wonder why you hadn't found one sooner. Enjoy, and remember to pop back and let us know your thoughts.
I agree, I have been looking & thinking about it far too long.
Problem was that I did not found one locally and if they would come up, they would be older ones.
The issue of buying one from abroad via internet and unseen held me back.
I wanted a newer / young model with low milage and they are not cheap, for taking a risk.
I found this one at a large automotive group, selling different brands of cars and BMW motorcycle agent, so I gave them my trust.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Received my Burgman finally last Tuesday.
Wednesday registration paperwork and in weekend finally took it for a ride.
Went on a local ride with the lady 2-up and was impressed with ride (or should say glide).

Here are my Mini & Maxi side by side in garage;

Premium Member
Great!! now ride on over to Florida and I will put in the seat release for you ;) congrats on your new ride

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great!! now ride on over to Florida and I will put in the seat release for you ;) congrats on your new ride
I would love to ride over to you in Florida 馃槑
The only problem is that there is a pond between us, called Atlantic Ocean....
I probably could fix some floats and paddles on rear wheel but problem will be the fuel tank being too small ... 馃ぃ

Registered
Mikey, how about a link of to the seat mod I keep hearing about it landed a few place by search never landed where I thought I should be. Please and thank you.

Premium Member
Mikey, how about a link of to the seat mod I keep hearing about it landed a few place by search never landed where I thought I should be. Please and thank you.
Call me lazy but I didn鈥檛 have to remove the latch to install the leader:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts