Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

New 400 is fabulous

6K views 55 replies 14 participants last post by  B4002023 
#1 ·
Recently, I sold my 2011 burgman 400 after nearly two years of regular riding. I enjoyed the spirited but not overwhelming acceleration, good handling, and sleek design. I sold it because the ride was jarring, and it was approaching 10k miles.
Well, yesterday I bought a brand new 2022 400, which was hard to find even nationally. I didn't test drive it, but reviewed the details and changes from past models.
I am blown away, figuratively and literally, at the enhanced acceleration, handling, and nimble cornering compared to the 2011 400. The front 15inch wheel really absorbs bumps better than the old bike.
The matte silver paint doesn't shine like the white sparkle clear coat on the 2011 400. However my wife loves the look better than the 2011.
I paid $10,200 out the door, and ordered a givi high windscreen for around $136, to replace the tiny crotch rocket stock screen. I retained my Nelson riggs rear bag and soft saddle bags. This 2022 400 is almost surreal with its rocket like acceleration and uncanny handling.
I wonder if there are any other rider comments about the 2022 burgman AN-400. Thanks
I wonder if any

#7 ·
I bought, and returned the next day, a Kymco 300, and then bought the 2022 Burgman 400. I sat on the Kymco 550, and noticed that you have a very high hump in the step thru that your right foot has to clear. And the seat height is higher than the low Burgman 400. Not for me.

I am totally amazed at the 2022 400's enhanced acceleration, almost like a kids crotch rocket, improved nimble handling, and that 15 inch front tire that absorbs jolts endured with the past 2011 Burgman 400 that I drove for almost two years.

I also think that the Suzuki Burgman is a higher quality bike compared to the Kymco. At least, I am more comfortable owning a Suzuki, in which I am familiar, after owning several 400's and Suzuki Burgman 650s (and a BMW 650, which was too top heavy and difficult to maneuver in a parking lot for me.

Thanks DarisPaker.

Cordially,

Don Castle
Phoenix, Arizona

#4 ·
I don’t have experience with any of the earlier Burgmans. I too own a 2022 400 and have to say I am thoroughly impressed with its ride and handling. My price was only $200 less out the door just a few months ago. I have over 4300 miles on mine now.

Would love to hear your feedback on the Givi tall windscreen at 60-70mph. Buffeting is so great for me at that speed that I want to get off it after only about 30 minutes because it is so fatiguing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I am happy to hear that you also are riding a 2022 400. Wonder how you purchased it so cheap? The best price I could find nationally was $7995, plus fees. What city do you live in?
My Givi windshield was ordered from Tour and Ride.Com. The model is D3115ST, for $136.80, no tax, and free shipping! This was the best price I could find on-line. Height is 29.5" and width is 26.3". I look forward to a quieter ride, as I had a Givi tall windshield on my 2011 400.
This morning, I attached my softpack rear case and soft panniers under the seat. I had to clear the shock absorber under the seat, but I got both softpack and panniers to successfully attach so the panniers don't interfere with my legs while riding.

I wanted a backrest like on the 2011 400, but the only backrest I could find for the 2022 400 is about $144, with $25 shipping. The backrest has a doughnut hole in the middle, which I don't like.

I also had a hard wires stereo installed on my old 2011 400, which eventually failed. So I bought a rechargeable cylinder type radio, which as to be mounted to the dash someway. Do you have any radios on your 2022 400?
I rode Honda Goldwings when I was in my 40's. I will be 67 on the 4th of July and battling a complex case of both Hodgkins and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Cancer. So I am really greatful to be able to ride such a fun bike; more fun than the Corvette that I just sold, in fact.

All in all, a huge improvement with ride, acceleration, handling, and safety features compared to the 2011 400 that I put about 5,000 miles on, in under two years. And how do you like the blue rims?

Thanks for your response.

Don Castle, MPA
Phoenix, Arizona

#13 ·
I am blown away, figuratively and literally, at the enhanced acceleration, handling, and nimble cornering compared to the 2011 400. The front 15inch wheel really absorbs bumps better than the old bike.
The differences, i.e., good and bad points between previous models up to 2016 have been discussed in several threads, most opinions from my POV, is not worth the upgrade if your present B400 is in good shape, overall the new model still a good "Maxi" scooter option, new is new and should work/ride accordingly !! Your old 2011 was probably due some services, cvt, suspension, tires, steering bearings, etc. or just normal wear + tear ?

Good write up on the Kymco AK550 vs Burgman 400
That's probably the worst comparison I've read in a while, the scooters are so vastly different that is literally one sided, they only share the "Moniker" of being called "Scooters", A more level playing field would be a traditional engine/swingarm scooter in the 400cc range, in the US there's only the BMW C400 GT(the Piaggio BV400 is a great scooter, but is not a Maxi scooter), it would probably loose out to the GT in a comparison, very possibly due to all the Bells and Whistles. KIM that most of those gimmicks are only dealer serviceable $$$ (n)o_O

But when you consider the whole scenario of initial cost, maintenance cost, parts availability, dealer network, years of production, overall quality/reliability, internet knowledge base, brand following and recognition, the B400 may still be the winner when making a purchase decision (y):cool:

#14 ·
zrx212

I admire the reported mpg of the B400 and a 15’’ front tire sounds like a nice upgrade.

I think the article was mostly based on what you get for your money with no thought given to the benefits you mentioned. Only seasoned owners and mechanics value the unwritten glamor of long term ownership.

It seems the North American Maxi Scooter is being shaved down in size little by little to bring it more in line with the rest of the world.

#15 ·
I admire the reported mpg of the B400 and a 15’’ front tire sounds like a nice upgrade.
:unsure:
From a previous thread -

" Even the "bigger wheel" tweak is, to me, a little confusing.
Yes, 15" against previous 14" RIM, but same overall tire diameter; (early one has larger aspect ratio).
Which, arguably could be advantageous, as 'taller' tire gives a little more "bump absorption".

And

#19 ·
I would assume there were some suspension tweaks which would affect handling characteristics. Also, I believe they claim the frame was stiffened which should make a noticeable improvement in handling.

I would love to compare a new one side by side to my pristine 2011, but not enough to actually fork over the big bucks.

#20 ·
I would assume there were some suspension tweaks which would affect handling characteristics.
There's a few different p/n's in fork assy, rear shock is different p/n, on 2019+, note that all other parts in rear shock linkage are the same p/n, but the shock on 2019+ is nearly half the cost of older models and is available, is it better/does it fit ?? Still expensive, but salvage yards may have one :unsure:

2019 Suzuki AN400AL9 Rear Cushion Lever | Ron Ayers

Reactions: JRoss
#29 ·
PSA, on some of my previous post I may have suggested the possibility that the newer 2019+ B400 could have a mix of radial + bias tire types, in a nutshell is all conjecture/supposition, not factual, even though is oem installation in some cases.
" Is never recommended for the operator or shop to mix Radials with Bias tires ", a radial front/bias rear is usually the most dangerous combination, don't do it !!

Reactions: BurgDanno
#30 ·
The manual for my 2022 400 indicates the OEM tires are Dunlop ScootSmart G tires. I find nothing with the ‘G’ in it online. Neither did my dealer when I called to place and order for a new set of tires. They suggest it may be custom version for Suzuki.

In any regard, I opted to order a set of Michelin City Grip 2. I have to wait a while for them. 30-90 days I am told because that rear wheel tire size is not widely used in the US; perhaps supply chain issues.

#34 ·
I have bad news chaps...

Older Burgman 400s with Hoops were “G” too :)
Good luck finding it on your sidewall, but I bet it’s in your manual

Silverwings in the same size would be, I think, an “F”

#48 ·
... snipped ... I have bad news chaps ... Older Burgman 400s with Hoops were “G” too :) Good luck finding it on your sidewall, but I bet it’s in your manual. Silverwings in the same size would be, I think, an “F”
I just swapped out the original HOOPS rear tire on my '09 Silver Wing with a newer Bridgestone HOOPS "G" designated tire. I was wondering what the "G" designation stood for. I thought maybe it was an upgraded version of the old HOOPS tire I replaced that did not have a "G" designation on it. I bought the HOOPS replacement tire off of Kijiji (like CL) so I don't know the history of it.

#35 · (Edited)
Continued...

This is what is known as an “OE code” - as in “original equipment”.

Boring detail stuff.
An OE could cut both ways.
Sometimes it’s a tyre tuned to a specific vehicle application. Vehicle and tyre manufacturers work together developing a new vehicle and sometimes tweaks are useful. For example, during development there might be particular frequencies you want to damp. So you get a superior sub-group of tyre for that specific application and that variant might be available to buy in a given territory,

Or

A manufacturer wanting to pump out a lot of vehicles with tight margins is buying 1000’s of units and might have enough clout to reduce the cost/spec of a particular tyre (Cheaper compound combinations or drop a fancy standard spec feature you don’t think will improve your sales, for example). This keeps the list price down and that sub-model isn’t going to be found in any public facing store.

edit: for clarity (hopefully)

#36 ·
On the tire profile/wheel diameter change:

Yes, you get tighter handling but...
Don't forget, us dynamics and techy guys don’t get free reign, other departments get a say and generally corporate image and styling get a powerful first say when setting the initial brief.
A lot of the skill on the technical side is making things work within the many parameters that are handed down (image, cost, existing parts bin etc)
They went for a lighter looking bike, and large wheel/reduced tyre is visually lighter (even if it isn’t physically lighter).

#51 ·
For those that might be considering a 2022 400, I thought I would post a image that depicts how the mpg of mine has changed from new, through the break-in period, to where it is now.

I track mileage and maintenance using an app called ‘RoadTrip’. This is screen shot of the fuel summary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.