Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
:unsure:
From a previous thread -

" Even the "bigger wheel" tweak is, to me, a little confusing.
Yes, 15" against previous 14" RIM, but same overall tire diameter; (early one has larger aspect ratio).
Which, arguably could be advantageous, as 'taller' tire gives a little more "bump absorption".

And
c'mon blue, don't harsh the mellow with facts

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,072 Posts
" Even the "bigger wheel" tweak is, to me, a little confusing.
Yes, 15" against previous 14" RIM, but same overall tire diameter; (early one has larger aspect ratio).
Which, arguably could be advantageous, as 'taller' tire gives a little more "bump absorption".
Is really not confusing at all, Suzuki engineers where actually very smart by maintaining overall wheel diameter, the steering geometry was not affected, i.e., rake + trail. IMO the only reason for a bigger rim is to accommodate the Low Profile(LP) tire/tyre ?, on a motorcycle a LP tire will always give you better contact/feedback, handling, steering, braking performance, 120/70 ratio is usually found on sport/sport touring bikes. Yes a LP tire of similar construction will be harsher, but LP tires are usually Radials, which are softer/more compliant than the old bias. The tires on 2019+ are Dunlop's ScootSmart, they come both Bias + Radials, :unsure: , that and the different p/n's on fork spring and damper/piston could translate to better handling, :unsure:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The tires on 2019+ are Dunlop's ScootSmart, they come both Bias + Radials:unsure:
NO.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

Not to create an oil type thread, and OT, but I cannot find any 13" RADIALS , of any brand, on any UK web sites. ONE Michelin radial that size on an EU site.
Certainly Suzuki don't fit radials as OEM. And no 13" radial scootsmart on Dunlop's own site.

"Bigger rim" equals "NEW STUFF" fitted, in sales gumph and road tests.
My only confusion, if any, is why they'd bother?
On a 120mph sports bike, I understand. 85mph scooter, not so much....

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,072 Posts
My only confusion, if any, is why they'd bother?
Again, I'm not confused at all, they could had easily used the old wheel and paint blue, etc. for la lot less cost, maybe enhancing the handling, in addition to reduced weight and drive modes/TC, etc., to kinda offset engine power loss(similar to Hayabusa), IOW better driveability. IAC, the before mentioned benefits and reasons for using low profile tires are well documented, thus is kind of a standard, the thing is that the wheel needs to be designed for such tire, in most cases simply installing a LP tire on a wheel made for a taller tire won't work, changes tire shape and handling characteristics (similar to the endless discussion of installing a wider tire in a narrow rim or a car tire 🤐).The Dunlop's tires on newer 400 "MAY" be a special OEM fitment, Several vendors I looked at, had the "ScootSmart" 15in front tire listed as a radial, can't think of a reason the one one installed on the B400 would not be ?, IAC, the discussion was never about the back 13in. wheel 🤔, and yes there is several motorcycle manufacturers that fit as OEM a mix of Radials and Bias tires on some models, I've seen it on some Harleys and Triumph's.

Maybe we don't understand the manufacturers reasons and yes they may indeed be dumb, but reports from reviews and/or owners may negate all that. Most seasoned riders, deem Traction Control on a Scooter as "why" 🤔, but it could help a new rider, "Driveability".

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,072 Posts
PSA, on some of my previous post I may have suggested the possibility that the newer 2019+ B400 could have a mix of radial + bias tire types, in a nutshell is all conjecture/supposition, not factual, even though is oem installation in some cases.
" Is never recommended for the operator or shop to mix Radials with Bias tires ", a radial front/bias rear is usually the most dangerous combination, don't do it !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The manual for my 2022 400 indicates the OEM tires are Dunlop ScootSmart G tires. I find nothing with the ‘G’ in it online. Neither did my dealer when I called to place and order for a new set of tires. They suggest it may be custom version for Suzuki.

In any regard, I opted to order a set of Michelin City Grip 2. I have to wait a while for them. 30-90 days I am told because that rear wheel tire size is not widely used in the US; perhaps supply chain issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am happy to hear that you also are riding a 2022 400. Wonder how you purchased it so cheap? The best price I could find nationally was $7995, plus fees. What city do you live in?
My Givi windshield was ordered from Tour and Ride.Com. The model is D3115ST, for $136.80, no tax, and free shipping! This was the best price I could find on-line. Height is 29.5" and width is 26.3". I look forward to a quieter ride, as I had a Givi tall windshield on my 2011 400.
This morning, I attached my softpack rear case and soft panniers under the seat. I had to clear the shock absorber under the seat, but I got both softpack and panniers to successfully attach so the panniers don't interfere with my legs while riding.

I wanted a backrest like on the 2011 400, but the only backrest I could find for the 2022 400 is about $144, with $25 shipping. The backrest has a doughnut hole in the middle, which I don't like.

I also had a hard wires stereo installed on my old 2011 400, which eventually failed. So I bought a rechargeable cylinder type radio, which as to be mounted to the dash someway. Do you have any radios on your 2022 400?
I rode Honda Goldwings when I was in my 40's. I will be 67 on the 4th of July and battling a complex case of both Hodgkins and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Cancer. So I am really greatful to be able to ride such a fun bike; more fun than the Corvette that I just sold, in fact.

All in all, a huge improvement with ride, acceleration, handling, and safety features compared to the 2011 400 that I put about 5,000 miles on, in under two years. And how do you like the blue rims?

Thanks for your response.

Don Castle, MPA
Phoenix, Arizona
No, I don’t have any radio on my 400. I don’t want the distraction while riding.

Sorry to hear about your cancer. Glad you are able to get out and ride and enjoy yourself. I am in my early 60s, and thoroughly enjoying riding.

At first I did not like the blue rims. If I had had a choice of with and without at time of purchase I would have ordered it without. But I must admit they are really growing on me. Hope they still look nice after a tire change.

I have had my 400 for about 3 months now and have just shy of 4500 miles on it already; local only, no long trips. Just ordered my first set of replacement tires. I am being proactive so they are here when I need them. Given current bike use and tire wear, I expect I will need to replace around September or October.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,072 Posts
.The Dunlop's tires on newer 400 "MAY" be a special OEM fitment,
The manual for my 2022 400 indicates the OEM tires are Dunlop ScootSmart G tires. I find nothing with the ‘G’ in it online. Neither did my dealer when I called to place and order for a new set of tires. They suggest it may be custom version for Suzuki.
🤔🤐

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
:unsure: or :ROFLMAO:

The manual for my 2022 400 indicates the OEM tires are Dunlop ScootSmart G tires
So does that clip at post #26. That's from a 2020 manual.

You know how Suzuki owners books are known for erroneous information?
Did you look at your tire sidewalls? If it's like UK bikes, their tyres are "standard" X-ply Smartscoots.- no "G".
(I looked at one today).

Logically, if Suzuki were to PAY for "special" or "custom version" tires, why would they do that for one of there lowest volume products? :unsure:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am told because that rear wheel tire size is not widely used in the US;
It's used on the Honda Silverwing and Yamaha Majesty, at least. Not sure what others have been sold over there.
Oh yes... Suzuki Burgman 400, 2007 to 2016.

·
Super Moderator
4,486 Posts
I have bad news chaps...

Older Burgman 400s with Hoops were “G” too :)
Good luck finding it on your sidewall, but I bet it’s in your manual

Silverwings in the same size would be, I think, an “F”

·
Super Moderator
4,486 Posts
Continued...

This is what is known as an “OE code” - as in “original equipment”.

Boring detail stuff.
An OE could cut both ways.
Sometimes it’s a tyre tuned to a specific vehicle application. Vehicle and tyre manufacturers work together developing a new vehicle and sometimes tweaks are useful. For example, during development there might be particular frequencies you want to damp. So you get a superior sub-group of tyre for that specific application and that variant might be available to buy in a given territory,

Or

A manufacturer wanting to pump out a lot of vehicles with tight margins is buying 1000’s of units and might have enough clout to reduce the cost/spec of a particular tyre (Cheaper compound combinations or drop a fancy standard spec feature you don’t think will improve your sales, for example). This keeps the list price down and that sub-model isn’t going to be found in any public facing store.

edit: for clarity (hopefully)

·
Super Moderator
4,486 Posts
On the tire profile/wheel diameter change:

Yes, you get tighter handling but...
Don't forget, us dynamics and techy guys don’t get free reign, other departments get a say and generally corporate image and styling get a powerful first say when setting the initial brief.
A lot of the skill on the technical side is making things work within the many parameters that are handed down (image, cost, existing parts bin etc)
They went for a lighter looking bike, and large wheel/reduced tyre is visually lighter (even if it isn’t physically lighter).

·
Registered
74 Posts

Did you look at your tire sidewalls? If it's like UK bikes, their tyres are "standard" X-ply Smartscoots.- no "G".
(I looked at one today).
Yes, I just checked the tire minutes ago to see it it matches the manual. The ScootSmart name is in large letters and is followed by a very small ‘G’, perhaps 1/5th the size of the core name.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts