Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently downsizing from my 2003 GoldWing bike and I am looking for accessories. I always ask for advice from current owners when getting started and if you are willing to help I appreciate it.

Right now I am looking for:
Backrest
Rear top box with mounting brackets. A large one
Phone holder
Perhaps a taller wind screen
and perhaps cruise control - the GoldWing has cruise control and I think I will miss that feature

Cheers Sky and thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Enjoy your new ride. In my signature below, I list the modifications I have made to my 2018 Burgman 650 Executive and where they can be found on this forum. Some of what I have done appears to be of interest to you.

...damocles

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damocles, thanks for this and I will look straight away. I am always open to lessons learned so I appreciate the guidance.
Cheers Sky

·
Premium Member
8,027 Posts
I recommend the emergency trunk release if you haven't already done it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Best phone holder in the known universe is a quick-release (spring-loaded) unit from Seattle's own RAM Mounts. Phone is on or off the bike in 2 seconds -- with 1 hand!

You also need to buy an arm to hold the 1" balls and a base plate that sits on top of your brake reservoir; it comes with longer screws to replace the OEM screws. I recommend the short arm (vs. long arm). It's $40 to $50 for everything.

I've had these on every bike I've owned since I discovered them. Fantastic. I just got a new one for my enormous iPhone 11. Plus I went full farkle and ordered a RAM cup holder to carry my Starbucks Chai.

For windscreen, I've had a GIVI on two Burgman 650's and wouldn't ride without one. I'm 6'1" and like the "no buffeting" option on a bike. With the windscreen in the full "up" position I can ride with a ball cap and not have it blown off my head (important in Florida ;o).

Reactions: hscohen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that. I have tall windscreen on my goldwing and I certainly like it. I appreciate the advice for the phone mount also.
Cheers Sky

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thanks. I agree, my son just installed the release on his burgman so I appreciate the reinforcing that advice. Cheers sky
I added the emergency seat latch release on my 2013 last year and posted a thread with a few photos about it. Should be just the same for your 2018 model.
Emergency seat latch release added - 2013 B650

I also added a RAM ball on the top center of the dash and ran a power cord from the large glove box for my Pixel 4 phone (had a Pixel 2XL back then). I use a modified X-grip from china to hold the phone. Works great.
Install of RAM mount and power cord for my Burgman 650

Also be sure to check out the sticky threads at the top of the thread list in the "Burgman 650 (2013 to current model year)" sub-forum. I show what is needed to remove to replace all oils (engine/clutch, transmission/reduction gear, final drive) on the left side of the scooter. And also a thread on removing the rear wheel to take it in for a tire change. Removing the wheel yourself (if you do much of your own work) is not so hard and saves a LOT of $$$ that can be used for other farkles... like a top case. I plan to soon do the same with my front wheel... in a thousand miles or so.
-

·
Registered
221 Posts
One more comfort/convenience feature I can't live without at 6'1" ... more legroom. You can remove the buttrest with three screws and a latch to give yourself a few more inches of legroom. There are two oval rubber gaskets remaining that are a bit ugly, but nothing approaching what's under the buttrest of a BMW C 650 GT scooter.

That problem is solved by adding the backrest below, which slides into position in place of the stock buttrest. Last I checked it was about $129, which, for me, is well worth it for the comfort, legroom and overall aesthetics. It doesn't come close to the support and comfort of a Corbin seat, but it's also not $750 delivered.

·
Registered
96 Posts
  • I bought my 650 Executive in 2011 after long-term ownership of 3 Gold Wings in succession-- 1200, 1500, and 1800. I tried a big Givi 46L top case for a few years, but did not like the effect on handling (especially with side-winds). As I only ride solo, for everyday use the under-seat tub is adequate. For grocery shopping, I put hooks (details on request) on a 30" rolling duffle bag so it attaches instantly to the rear seat and luggage rack. For golf, my bag and cart attache to the rear seat and luggage rack with just 2 Rok Straps.
  • Several years ago, I installed a Race Tech Gold Valve complete front suspension kit and IKON shocks and springs. Handling is greatly improved, and I consider it worth the substantial expense. Ride quality is only slightly better; suspension travel is the limiting factor there.
    I have used Russell custom-built saddles for over 50 years. They're expensive, and it's a pain to ship them your stock seat, but there is simply nothing else as good.
  • I use a Clearview tall windshield with Gold Wing - style vent. It works well for me.
  • I use BikeMaster Handlebar Mirror Adapters for Lever Brackets and Emgo Universal Screw-In Mount Mirror - Long Stem on both left and right. The adapter fits in place of the existing half-clamp; you just have to cut or drill a little of the tupperware handlebar cover to poke the mirror stem through. Make sure you order matching stem size (8mm or 10mm) for the adapter and the mirror. The left side is not reverse-threaded, so the wind loosens it. Once I had it properly aligned, I epoxied the mirror stem threads into the adapter. I LOVE these mirrors. The stock mirrors on the 650 are a very bad design.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
  • I bought my 650 Executive in 2011 after long-term ownership of 3 Gold Wings in succession-- 1200, 1500, and 1800. I tried a big Givi 46L top case for a few years, but did not like the effect on handling (especially with side-winds). As I only ride solo, for everyday use the under-seat tub is adequate. For grocery shopping, I put hooks (details on request) on a 30" rolling duffle bag so it attaches instantly to the rear seat and luggage rack. For golf, my bag and cart attache to the rear seat and luggage rack with just 2 Rok Straps.
  • Several years ago, I installed a Race Tech Gold Valve complete front suspension kit and IKON shocks and springs. Handling is greatly improved, and I consider it worth the substantial expense. Ride quality is only slightly better; suspension travel is the limiting factor there.
    I have used Russell custom-built saddles for over 50 years. They're expensive, and it's a pain to ship them your stock seat, but there is simply nothing else as good.
  • I use a Clearview tall windshield with Gold Wing - style vent. It works well for me.
  • I use BikeMaster Handlebar Mirror Adapters for Lever Brackets and Emgo Universal Screw-In Mount Mirror - Long Stem on both left and right. The adapter fits in place of the existing half-clamp; you just have to cut or drill a little of the tupperware handlebar cover to poke the mirror stem through. Make sure you order matching stem size (8mm or 10mm) for the adapter and the mirror. The left side is not reverse-threaded, so the wind loosens it. Once I had it properly aligned, I epoxied the mirror stem threads into the adapter. I LOVE these mirrors. The stock mirrors on the 650 are a very bad design.
Could I get a pic of the mirrors and one with the golf bag loaded ?
A nice Burgman ride to and from 9 holes sounds like the perfect Spring and Autumn afternoon ride.

·
Premium Member
8,027 Posts
what general speed are you running when you play golf on the big burg? do the small wheels tear up the green ?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I know there are as many opinions as there are owners of the 650. I personally think the mirrors are great. Depends on how they are adjusted and what YOU are like (size/shape, ergonomically, etc). The best mirrors were my Gold Wing, the second best are the Burgman, then the ST1100 and CTX1300 which have the same mirror location but just a little smaller than the Burgman (looking out below the bars). I also had a Vulcan 750 with stalk mounted mirrors and those were worse than all IMO, due to their very small size and the view from them wasn't all that great.

There are a great many options for add-on mirrors for almost any bike or scooter. Most are universal mounting. Some mount to the edge of the windshield, but may be subject to vibration depending on how high up. Some even mount on top or bottom of the stock mirror covers. I tried those on my CTX but found them also subject to vibration so couldn't use them. They may be better on the Burgman mirror covers though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Could I get a pic of the mirrors and one with the golf bag loaded ?
A nice Burgman ride to and from 9 holes sounds like the perfect Spring and Autumn afternoon ride.
I put photos on my Google drive at this link. The show 1) the Rok Strap attached to the grab bar and the Givi luggage rack, 2) the bag on the back seat and rack, 3) the cart on the bag, and 4) the Rok Strap threaded through the cart wheels. There are Rok Straps on both sides, of course. Note the green bungee cord around the bag cover, which keeps it from flapping or detaching in the wind. My cart is a 4-wheel; a 3-wheel might need slightly different strapping, but you still want to thread through the big wheels.
There also are 2 photos of my mirrors. The rider's view shows how wide and close the mirrors are. The close-up shows the attachment.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Perfect hscohen , nice seat, mirrors and stick bag. I hope you had a nice round ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts