Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All, I bought a new 2013 Burgman 650 and now have about 400 miles on it. I am still breaking it in on both city and highway. Over 40 years of riding I have owned just about every kind of motorcycle and am generally impressed with the Burg's capabilities. Very stable at low and high speed, enough power for the highway (although it's killing me breaking this thing in and keeping under 4k when everybody wants to go 90 on the FL Turnpike!) Only one major issue: The SEAT. I know, I know and I think I have read every thread on the subject. I am about 5'11" and have removed the Buttstop in search of more butt/leg room. I have also added a Sheepskin Pad. It's not enough. This seat is awful! It also seems to slope downward which is the opposite of where it needs to be. It's more like an awkward downward sloping "perch". Corbin told me they have no plans to make 2013 seats. I bought the "Bestbackrest" and it was junk (literally, a junk yard part!). What I'm planning is to have the seat re-shaped for a larger seat area and removal of the metal bracket (inside the seat) so my back is not up against hard metal (because the Buttstop is removed.) I would certainly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Corbin Seats make a custom seat for the Burgman. They are located just North of Daytona off I-95. They make standard and long seat version. I have the long version on my 2006 650EX and it gives me able leg room. Go online and check them out.

The seat is hard so I use a Airhawk cushion (med) with mine. :p

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well first off, congratulations on the new ride and welcome to the forum!

I'm 6'2" and the thing which really helped me with the seat ergos was getting a backrest. There are many flavors but they all share the characteristic of giving you a place to brace yourself against the pressure of your forward-positioned feet. You might try it; even the most expensive backrest is a lot less than a custom saddle. It sure works for me.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Amazon.com: Airhawk Medium Cruiser Pad - 14.25in x 15in , Size: Md AH2MED: Automotive

Airhawk pad. Conforms to your backside with every seating, no expensive reupholstery needed and its adjustable. Just don't put too much air inside. Inflate just enough so you're a quarter inch off the seat.

It really pretty amazing for the price. I've owned Corbin's before, and they're a bit hit and miss. The Airhawk just conforms perfectly to your own shape back there and when you move around, it adjusts just so. Out of the box, I did a seven hour ride with no discomfort.

I'm sure a custom seat would probably be better. But that's a lot of time and expense. As a quick, inexpensive, but effective fix, it can't be beat.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I agree 100% for the Airhawk, I didn't think to bring that up as the OP asked about a seat.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I get that "sloped down" feeling with both my 400 and 650. I've taken a washcloth, folded a couple of times into a triangle and placed it inside the AirHawk cover, beneath the bladder. It acts as a wedge and for me, improves the feel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I said, I called them to ask about a seat for the 2013 Burgman 650. They only make seats to 2012 and have no plans for the newer design. The 2012 will not fit a 2013 and later. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello, I bought the "Bestbackrest" and found it very uncomfortable and junky. It also causes me to lose room and forces me into a crouched forward position. After waisting my money on that I'm afraid to throw even more money away. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
As I said, I called them to ask about a seat for the 2013 Burgman 650. They only make seats to 2012 and have no plans for the newer design. The 2012 will not fit a 2013 and later. Thanks.
Are you referring to Russell Day-Long or Corbin? If you are referring to Corbin as I said in my first post check with Russell. Russell puts their cover on your seat pan so the year shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Model28a, I was referring to Corbin (who said they have no plans to make 2013 seats). I just got off the phone with Russell and everything sounds great from their end. The Russell would be a custom fit and they have a great guarantee as well. Kind of a hassle shipping my seat to them and waiting but maybe it will be worth it. Seriously, this is a great bike that just isn't going to work out for me unless I tend to this seat issue. The Russell could be the answer. I told them I want to be sure to gain about 2 more inches of leg room (even after buttstop removed) and they said no problem. I guess I can plan on being without a ride for about 4 weeks. I'll probably go ahead and do it in early October as she said their turnaround time starts to be shorter from then on through the winter. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
BiscayneBurgman just think if you lived up north you could have it done when the roads were covered with snow. Our coldest time is the end of Jan. through the end of Feb., but some people think that's our best riding weather. I'm not thrilled with the cold at that time of the year but Nov. Dec. and Mar. Apl. are the best riding months for me. Good luck with your seat, I hope it works out well for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts