Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked it up yesterday with 5 miles on the odo. This is my first Berg. Previous bike was 650 dual sport thumper. Here are some impressions.

Dealer did a good walk-around and said the following:
Use premium, high quality fuel. If stored or not used for a month, use fuel stabilizer.
Do first oil and filter change at 300 miles to remove metal, etc.
Don't baby the engine too much, but don't abuse it.
Stick with dino oil for a few thousand miles.
Use a battery tender (hooked directly to battery)
Don't leave trunk light on by mistake.

Manual is pretty basic, lousy pics, did have helmet cable lock

Driving impressions:
Easy to roll around the lot.
Mild engine braking, felt good.
Smooth transmission.
Felt very solid, stable in the wind.
Small wheels change the experience but got accustomed quickly.
Very quiet with full face helmet.
Signal control, windscreen, horn buttons seemed intuitive.
Windscreen position didn't need to be all the way up for protection ( I'm 6', 180). Great visibility.
Speedo, tac, fuel, temp, and eco are very visible and intuitive.
Seat is comfortable but I kept looking down to see if it had more adjustment. Finally stopped to adjust but it was all the way back. Could use another inch or so.
Good foot position. Being able to move them back, forward, side was great.

Overall great time. Also, I like the website. Thanks to all; glad to be here.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I would take exception to a couple of things the dealer told you.

One is that you don't need to run premium fuel. A check of your owners manual will show you that the bike is designed to run on regular and Suzuki recommends that you do so.

The second is that you should follow the break in procedures as described in the owners manual. The reason has nothing to do with breaking in the engine but with breaking in the belt in the CVT. It has been my experience that proper break in of the belt has much to do with a long trouble free life of the CVT.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats!
Get ready for tons of fun...you will find yourself talking the long route just for the extra ride time, I know I do.
Yep, Buffalo is right on with the gas and the proper break-in.....see, there is a reason to ride right there.....get her broken-in!
Have fun!
Rubber side down, shiny side up!
Lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

One is that you don't need to run premium fuel. A check of your owners manual will show you that the bike is designed to run on regular and Suzuki recommends that you do so.

The second is that you should follow the break in procedures as described in the owners manual. The reason has nothing to do with breaking in the engine but with breaking in the belt in the CVT. It has been my experience that proper break in of the belt has much to do with a long trouble free life of the CVT.
I agree with you on both points. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Welcome, Huico!
Congrats on getting a great bike. Regarding needing more room, you can, as many do convert it to a backrest or use an aftermarket backrest which does away with the butt bumper (there are several on the market) or, just remove the butt bumper entirely. Note that, in any case where the butt bumper must be removed there is a stop screw on each post under the seat and these have proven problematic for many to remove. The screws appear to be Phillips but, are actually fit a similar Japanese screwdriver. They are also tight and I would recommend an impact driver to remove.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

Ditto Buffalo post.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Congrats...and just once in a while during break in hit the Powerbutton off the line ....changes the nature of the beast rather dramatically....

This was the review that impressed me

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/
Note what the VFR800 rider said...no losing the Burgman.

and this is a blow away...motivated member....right road and right experience
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/12-general-discussion/70658-high-praise-650-burgman.html

I've not broken in a new one but will defer to others....both my 650s got smoother over time - at 15,000 miles they were running smoother than at 3000 miles.

I suspect it's the same motor and drive train as yours.

You will love the brakes and lights on the Burgman...best I've experienced and the low CofG makes it a delight in the twists.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
The light under the seat goes out automatically when the seat is closed so no need to turn the switch to the off position.

The bike runs just fine on regular fuel grade. Save yourself some money and use regular unleaded fuel.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
http://www.3brothersperformance.com/

With the angle of the mount, this will not only give you a nice backrest, but an extra inch of leg room.

Seat is good for a couple hours riding, but you should look into an airhawk or some other pad for longer rides.

Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The light under the seat goes out automatically when the seat is closed so no need to turn the switch to the off position.
Guys, is this really true? And if true, is it true for all model years?

Doug

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Guys, is this really true? And if true, is it true for all model years?

Doug
Never notice light go out automatically on 2005 & 2009 650, trunk light switch always off, if need in dark turn on then off as needed. This way will never have problem. Perhap newer 2013-14-15 model have this automatic light shutdown.

Canadian owner manual page 2-25 has no automatic position for trunk box light, it show light lever right outside position off, center position on, light lever left outside position off. No mention of automatic light shutdown when close seat.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
If the switch on the seat hinge is working properly the light should go off when the seat is closed even if the switch on the light is in the on position. You can test that by turning the light on then reaching up to the hinge and pushing the plunger down. The light should go off.

That being said, I keep the switch on my light in the off position when not using it. If I need the light it only takes a second to turn it on. That way I don't have to worry about the light not shutting off when I close the seat and running the battery down.

Edited to add. It's worked that way since at least the 2005 model. At least my 2005 worked that way. I assume the 2003 and 2004 worked the same way.

·
Registered
426 Posts
AFAIK the Burgman 650 have an automatic underseat light cut out. At least my K4 & L4 NZ along with my Asian K7 (all Executive) have the pressure switch activated when seat is lowered.
Can't see that this feature would be region specific

YMMV

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Two things, one silly, one not.

Non-silly: If the bike is parked for many months (say, you live somewhere with real winters), periodically go out and do the following: Squeeze the brake levers hard (to keep the seals in the brake master and slave cylinders from drying out). and compress the front suspension (sit on the bike, hold the front brake, and push the bike forward) to keep the fork seals from drying out.

Silly: If you really must prove to yourself that the cargo bay light goes out when the seat closes, set your smartphone to record video, start recording, put the phone into the cargo bay and close the seat. Open it, and then play back the video.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts