Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Just purchased out of the crate yesterday a 2012 650 Exec.
Had the 400 for one riding season and wanted to upgrade. Am
noticing however and not a big deal. The 2012/650 trans really slows
almost completely stops the trans when I come off the throttle quickly.

Is this just a break in time ( only 50 miles on OD from dealership). Or
a natural downshifting of the gears in Drive control mode. Or can that change
when in Power Drive mode.

Appreciate any experience reply.

New Forum Member
<((((((>{

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
That is the "engine braking" on the pre-2013 650s and is normal. If you search the site you will find a lot of discussion on "engine braking". Changing the mode will not effect the engine braking.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It's the nature of the beast and something to get accustomed to. Just use the throttle like a rheostat and don't expect it to act like a 400 at all.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
The reason it happens is the ECM downshifts the CVT to a lower ratio when you completely close the throttle. That makes it act like a manual shift bike would if you downshifted to a lower gear and closed the throttle with the clutch out. The way you control it is by not snapping the throttle complete closed when you start slowing down, that is unless you want to have the engine braking effect. If you just roll the throttle off but don't completely close it you can slow without the abrupt engine braking effect. It takes some practice to get it right.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Imagine that you're on a regular motorcycle only without clutch. B400 is a regular scooter in comparison.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That is the "engine braking" on the pre-2013 650s and is normal. If you search the site you will find a lot of discussion on "engine braking". Changing the mode will not effect the engine braking.
On my 2008 if I use power mode it shifts down at a higher rpm which makes for more aggressive engine braking than in auto mode. In manual I can negate much of the engine braking by letting the computer downshift as it does so at a lower rpm than the other two modes. I recommend manual for those who do not like the auto or power downshift. It eliminates much of the braking.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It has been said I ride fast. I like to ride mountin roads & I find the engin breaking very helpful. I only use the power setting for riding down mountains. Following cars or Harelys on twisties I never have to touch the brakes.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Put it in manual mode when you approach a light you know will turn red.

The annoying engine braking will be much less, just don't forget to put it back in auto, because although it will automatically change down as the speed goes down, it will not change back up automatically in maual mode, so you will go to redline in 1st gear if you don't manually change up or switch to auto.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Put it in manual mode when you approach a light you know will turn red.

The annoying engine braking will be much less, just don't forget to put it back in auto, because although it will automatically change down as the speed goes down, it will not change back up automatically in maual mode, so you will go to redline in 1st gear if you don't manually change up or switch to auto.
+1 Good point

·
Registered
108 Posts
The traffic behined you will not know the burgman has a really effective engine brake so it's a good idea to tap the brake, It lets them see some brake lights...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anybody know if there is an ECU signal which could be taken to a relay to automatically light brake lights when engine braking is on 1st gear? I've upset a couple of motorists, surprised by apparent braking without lights whilst I've been learning to cope with the beast.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It has been said I ride fast. I like to ride mountin roads & I find the engin breaking very helpful. I only use the power setting for riding down mountains. Following cars or Harelys on twisties I never have to touch the brakes.
Since I live in the mountains, the great majority of my riding is on very steep and very crooked mountains roads. The engine braking in Power Mode is very useful and it saves a lot of wear and tear on my brakes. However, I also use the power mode on the steep upgrades. I do find I have to slow down on straight stretches to wait on the Harleys following me (1 or 2). I had a 400 before and I had to use the brakes far more.

·
Registered
739 Posts
agree about taping the brakes.. A guy was following me on a silver wing.. said he hardly ever saw my brake lights come on.. I use the power button (on & off) a lot too to increase engine braking..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks folks :) Am slowly getting used to this form of engine breaks. Now just
need to get better at the start up from stop. Even passenger feels the jerky
start. Since this is the 2012 year model will be at local dealership grand opening
with Suzuki. This to ask if an upgrade kit is available to get to the 2013 floating
clutches.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The traffic behined you will not know the burgman has a really effective engine brake so it's a good idea to tap the brake, It lets them see some brake lights...
Really good point for riding in a group of mixed bikes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts