Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They say it didn't happen if there aren't pictures. So here is a picture of Lucille. We had our first real ride today. She loves me. Love this forum by the way. I have already learned a lot.

I am a true motorcycle novice so excuse any stupid questions. I am sure there will be lots of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Congrats and welcome but that's a **** of a set of training wheels.

Watch your use of front brake on slow turns....it'll put you over in a heart beat.

Practice coming to a stop smoothly with your wheels straight using both brakes. Concentrate on that aspect and once stopped and stable...THEN look to see cross traffic etc.
Some intersections and places like fuel stops have odd cambers and the 650 will feel fine as long as it has a bit of speed....slow and on angles it becomes gnarly.

Get some long saddle time on country roads with little traffic and lots of stop signs to practice.
The twisty carving will come later .....

Riding the Burgman 650 is pretty effortless but it's a heavy powerful machine and can get you in trouble quick if you over cook into corners.
In slow and power out.

Have fun - best all around machine I've owned in 45 years of riding.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I concur with MacDoc, heck of a first set of wheels. It's deceptively easy to ride. You'll gain confidence quickly, but don't get cocky, it will bite.

It's throttle is not very forgiving. Learn to go slow on it in a parking lot. Make a habit of always covering the rear brake (ie have your hand on it) and don't be afraid to use it. Try power braking, giving a little bit of throttle and rear brake at the same time. You can go really slow with this technique and can help moderate your speed. Just a little trick to know.

There's a lot to learn. Have fun doing it! Safely. And congratulations.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My only other experience is on the Harley Davidson street 500 which was used in the beginner rider course. That was very nimble. My impression of the burgman is that it is more truck like in its handling. Very comfy at higher speeds but a bit squirrelly at lower speeds. I am not sure if that is inherent in the design or because of the car tire in the rear. I could easily swerve the HD 500 but the burgman does not like to do that. If you push the handle bars on the HD500 the bike moves quickly and deliberately but the Burgman was fighting me when I tried the same thing. I took it on some curves Sunday and it requires more space to negotiate them. Once again, not sure if it is inherent in the design or because of the car tire. I am still feeling the bike out.

I am also a bit jerky on the brakes. Not sure if it is me, an adjustment on the bike, or the ABS.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Brakes are brilliant on the Burgman 650 but requires balancing them with both hands - front brake is very powerful so that's where riders get into trouble on slow speed turns.

Nothing to do with the ABS.

Burgman 650 is wonderful in the twists but as mentioned it's weighty so go in slower and accelerate out...it's nimble in twists because of the low CofG

The 650 is almost 120 lb heavier than the street 500 so will feel harder to slow down heading into the curve.

You'll be fine...just concentrate at slow speeds on keeping the bike straight coming to a stop and on making those stops smooth.

Feathering the rear brake is important as well.

Dealing with the engine braking is likely the biggest change from the street 500 where you had a clutch to feather in....on your later model the slow speed engine braking has been tamed down.

Concentrate on smooth and controlled be it stop, pull away or riding curves.

Riding behind a more experienced rider can show you the lines to take of curves and road positioning ( blocking etc ).

Bottom line....saddle time under low stress conditions where you can relax and the riding becomes more automatic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats! We have a riding club in Winston Salem that is both beginner and scooter friendly if you are interested. A couple of members are near Ashborro. My wife rides a Burgman 650 that has been triked and another member has a Burgman 400 as well a several other bikes.
If interested send me a PM. (Or if you simply need some help with the oil and transmission fluid changes or some practice time with cones in a parking lot.)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Sure looks like you picked up a nice ride. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on your new ride!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
One little trick I use on the front brake at slow speeds etc is to use just two fingers not the whole hand makes it less likely you'll grab a handful , takes a bit of getting used to but also means you can keep revs up whilst dragging the back brake too

Oh and congrats !

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went out yesterday and did a little highway riding at 65-70. Handled well. Tractor trailers definitely push you while passing. Did some country road riding and I am getting more comfortable with the bike. Had a friend double up so I can see how that feels. Definitely changes the dynamics of the bike. Hardest part was keeping the bike stable at slow speeds and stopping with 2. Keeping the handle bars straight seem to be a key for me. Getting better with throttle and brake management.

I guess it like most things in life - practice practice practice

·
Registered
68 Posts
The tractor trailer buffeting effect occurs on any bike. It's not as bad on a Burgman as say most Harleys with the faring/windshield mounted to the handle bars/forks.. On a bike like that the buffeting is directly transferred to the steering. Also the weight of the Burgman helps to keep things stable. Be prepared the first time you meet a tractor trailer coming at you on a 2 lane highway. If the wind is coming from the right direction it's going to feel like you are being sucked toward the truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts