Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new '11 650AL1 (I think that's for Anti-Lock brakes, right?). I'm really happy to have a chance to buy this bike. On driving it home the short 10 mile ride, it's pleasantly different than the 400 I had. The 400 was reliable, smooth, and had enough power for most anything I wanted to to. But the 650, with its added weight and stability, feels just right to me.

I'm gonna need a little extra storage, since the under-seat storage is smaller than on the 400, so I'll look for either some soft luggage for the sides near the passenger seat, or maybe a topcase, if I can find one at a decent price.

Can anybody here tell me if there is a "secret" compartment for the owners manual, or did the dealer forget to give it to me :( ?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
It should be in the storage compartment under the seat. The dealer probably forgot to give it to you, or.......he doesn't have it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. The AL suffix on the tail end of the model ID, has nothing to do with ABS, as previous years 2003-2009 had K3-K09 from what I understand. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not sure what suffix the 2010 models have. My 2003 and 2007 execs are AN650K3 & AN650K7 respectively. I went with ADLO boxes on both my execs, which are also known as BESTEM brand in overseas markets. There is an alternative rear luggage rack that can be fitted to the rear of the Burgy's (the exec models need to have the pillion backrest removed to fit the rack), aside from the one from GIVI. Search on ebay might turn up such a rack. The Givi rack is more expensive, and slightly less versatile IMO. I bought a GIVI and fitted it myself to the 2003, removing the pillion backrest in the process. I bought the alternative aftermarket no name brand chrome one here in China for my 2007 exec model, again removing the pillion backrest.

As for the manual, just check that it hasn't been slipped in between the underseat stowage tray and the stowage tray felt lining, otherwise it might have been left out, so contact your dealer.

And this thread is worthless without pictures... of your new ride.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
AN650A - L1

AN650A = Burgman 650 ''Executive''

L1 = 2011 model

L2 = 2012

L3 = 2013

L4 = 2014

L5 = 2015

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies. I just removed the tunnel cover to see if and where there was a way to check the oil level. I found the filler opening, but no dipstick. Can't find a sight glass, so I guess if I don't find the manual under the felt padding of the underseat storage , I'll just have to wait until Tuesday when the dealer re-opens their doors. They had another '11 on the floor, so I'm sure they'll be able to come up with one for me...either the one that was supposed to come with my Burgman, or the second Burgman on the floor.

And bikerdoc, I'll get pictures of my new Burgman as soon as I get it out of the garage...I picked it up at the dealer after dark last night, and after spending over an hour deciding whether to buy a Boulevard c50T or the Burgman, I was pretty wiped out and forgot to ask the guy in the service area these important questions. I'm going out to the garage now to check for the manual again. bikerdoc, what is the underseat storage tray...is it a compartment under the seat, did you mean looking under the felt floor liner?

I don't even know what grade of gas to put in her.

Well, I'll get out to the garage and check for the manual, and take a ride :D .

I'll do a search for some alternate storage options (cases, bags, etc.), after I take the ride and some pictures.

Thanks again, and have a great day (for those of you in time zones where the daylight hours are in progress).

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
This help, make picture bigger, help new member understand.

Click picture, make bigger.

Not need remove bottom panel, look left side bottom panel, in opening to see oil level.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all your help while I've been waiting for the dealer to open tomorrow morning. I did find the sight glass, and will start to look for some additional storage. "Bestem" top case? Never heard of them, but there are a lot of names out there that I haven't heard of. I'll have to look for a top case mount...I guess they're bike-specific, and made by different manufacturers, not only Givi.

So much to learn, and so little time (need time to ride)...it's been dreary and/or rainy since I picked up my Burgman 650, and I'm getting all this pent-up desire to hop on and ride!

Hope all your weekends went well.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
+1 for Bestem top box. Lots of bang for the buck. Their largest is the 929 at 46L, which includes a passenger back rest and mounting plate (got to drill new holes for the Burgman, though) for $80 US, or $110 with running/brake lights. An additional $20 gets a liner. There's other options but I thought I'd mention these.

http://www.bestemusa.com/T-Box-Trunks_c_891.html

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
With that rack, if you go the Bestem route, you don't even need to drill the supplied plate. It comes with bars that fit crosswise beneath the rack and clamp in place by bolts down from the mounting plate. Easy job.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm losing you all about which parts are needed to mount the Bestem 929. Never seen how the top cases are mounted on the rear of the Burgmans, so I don't know, after removing the OEM backrest, what I need to do to mount the case...do I have to drill through the plastic, or do the mounting plates with some cases fit in pre-drilled holes under the backrest? I've never seen what's under the backrest.

Is the Bestem water-resistant, or is that what the liner is for? I'm brand new at selecting a case and mounting on the Burgman...as you all can see by now. Is there info about this in the knowledge base? If so, I'll have to look into it tomorrow.

While I'd like to have a Givi, I don't have $500 to spend on a case right now, and if the Bestem holds up, then I'll be a happy camper, with a little extra $$ to spend on fuel and a decent riding jacket.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
The rack I posted a link uses the bolts from the passenger backrest, no need for any drilling, I did have to do a bit of dremelling because the rack didn't fit exactly

You fit the rack then fix the base that comes with the top case to the base, mounting equip provided, then fit the case to the base.

If you want to use the cases brake light you will need to do a bit of wiring

It is waterproof, I would check out le dudes site as it has instructions on the wiring too, as well as how to build your own rack if you decide to go that route, as well as reviews of bestem top boxes adding extra lights etc etc etc

https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'll defer to Gbjbany and Ledude for the details of fitting to a 650, as I have a 400. I've had my 929 for about 8 months in all kinds of weather and haven't had a bit of a problem. The liner is sort of a stiff, compact felt. It gives the lower half a nicer surface and things don't clunk around. As Gbjbany stated, the case fits to the provided mounting plate. The electrical hookup is normally a push connector, with wires coming out a lower corner of the case being connected/disconnected whenever you put on or remove the case. I modified mine so the wiring connection is "hands off". When the case is snapped to the mounting plate, it automatically makes the connection. I also haven't had any trouble with this setup since I installed the t-box. I had a detailed "how-to" post on another site but the link isn't good anymore.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Congrats on the new bike.

I got my 2011 AN650L1 just over a month ago. Since most of your questions have already been addressed, much of what I'll say here is likely redundant, but just to throw my 2c in here goes.

My manual was handed to me by the dealer while doing the paperwork, and unlike the 400, there is no special storage area for it (which to me is an omission on Suzuki's part, they could have put a similar small compartment at the front of the storage area, even if the toolkit is stored differently).

If you intend to do your 600 mile service yourself (I did) there is a wealth of information on here to help, and even in the owners manual (when you get it), there's enough to get by. Yopu will need to remove the lower tupperware on the LH side, the maintenance cover, and the final drive cover, but it's all easily done.

As far as boxes go, I fitted a Bestem 2012 to mine (unfortunately, the color I got doesn't exactly match my grey bike, but it's fairly close, so I'm still debating whether to resparay it), which was an incredibly easy fit, I just had to get the correct length hardware (which the Bestem fitting instructions tell you what's required. They supply spacers for it, so why not the bolts, I don't know.). Just had to drill an additional hole in the supplied plate for the front bolt, but they tell you where. The most difficult bit was connecting in the brake light.
Now here, it's up to you if want to connect the light, or just use the panel as a reflector. If you do wish to connect the brake light, I would recommend replacing the the supplied incandescants with LED's which are much easier to see (especially in daylight). I bought the LED strip in my local Avance auto parts store (where I got my oils for the service), and replacing the lamps was simple enough. Four screws inside the box allow the access.
To connect into the bike's wiring, I simply replaced the existing closed end connectors with ones of a similar type, adding the additional wires. If you do this while fitting the box, it's very simple to remove the two tupperware sections necessary, just two screws and four push-rivets.

Enjoy the new Bike!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Just a note - the new Bestem 2012 - come with LED lights - so no need to upgrade
It also came with the bolts they were too long in my mind so I shorted them - ( i fitted shiny black to my grey) rather than try and color match

I SAE connectors for the wiring disconnect so i could take the box off when needed

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again, thanks to all for your help. I rode over to the dealer yesterday, and they found the owner's manual on one of the salesman's desks, and so all is well.

I have the white 2011 Burgman 650 Exec., and so I'm not sure if the flat black, or the glossy black would look better for the top case.

Having read the above posts, I'm beginning to get an idea of what I might need to mount the top box to the 650...it might not be as difficult as I thought. So the Bestem comes complete with a mounting plate, which if I get that other rack mentioned above, will enable me to mount the box without any other fuss, except for an additional job of connecting the wiring if I connect power to the Bestem's stop lights?

And the Bestem 2012 comes with the more visible LED's, as well as a passenger back rest?

I have a friend that has owned scooters for some time now...he knows quite a bit about them, and suggested getting a Givi E460 with with the E529 mounting plate that I would probably get from Kiwi Dave, for $306 delivered, if I read right. My friend has a backrest from that box that he's not using.

So now I need to decide which box would work out the best for me. The Bestem seems to have quite a few add-ons available for not much cost, and if the quality is there, then value wise that might be the way to go. I've got to take another look at the Bestem.

Thanks again, and I promise to get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Same GIVI base + case install on me 1998 Kawie, 2005 Burgie 2009 Burgie purchase in May 2010 and if me can find new 2012 White Burgie it also be intall on that bike if not buy Victory Vision like also. If not have accident GIVI base and box probbly good for install on 3-4 more bike. Very good for base and case cost not $300.00 many year ago.

GIVI extreme high quality, reliabilty, me box only have few nic/scrape me do to it because put on take off all time, all rest still excellent condition. Admore brake/run light kit install 2-3 year ago for replace GIVI Brake light system, Admore much better.

Burgie Exec rear plastic and steel plate under plastic already prepare at Suzuki factory to receive GIVI plate, it take 15 minute to install fit perfect and very very strong and safe for passenger.

http://www.giviusa.com/Company/History/

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I bought the Bestem 2012 in white and it matches my white 2011 650 perfectly. The 2012 comes with the brake light built in and also comes with a mounting plate. I have read on here that the plates some times do not hold up that well. So what I did was buy a piece of aluminum 1/8" thick and cut it so that it was just a hair bigger than the Bestem plate. I then mounted the Bestem plate to the one I made and mounted them to the scooter. I had to buy some 1/2" aluminum tubing for risers so the plate would not rest on the plastic. Also had to buy three longer bolts to accomadate the risers. The whole project (Bestem 2012, aluminum plate, tubing and 3 bolts) cost me less than $100.00.

Bill

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Here is a picture of the 2012 mounted on my scooter and one of what the mounting looks like.

Bill

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts