Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test rode my friend's Burgman this afternoon and made a deal to buy it. He doesn't use it much and his wife wants it gone! It is a blue 2006 type S with less than 600 miles on the odometer and looks brand new. It was parked inside a garage and had a cover on it{well a sheet anyway}.

Total blast to ride, especially since I am moving up from a 50cc. Been looking for a 125-250 for several years but there is nothing here and I refuse to buy cheap Chinese. Bit bigger than I wanted but I will make it work.

Anyway it is only going to cost me $2000, KBB retail is $2800, so it is a great deal. Even better since he is going to let me make payments. I can take it home as soon as it is half paid{hopefully next Friday when I get paid - unless unexpected bills come up that is}.

Being that it is 8 years old do you think I should replace any parts? As a general rule old rubber cracks and may be a problem. So should I replace the tires and the drive belt? He just put a new battery in it so that is good to go. He also had the oil in the engine and rear drive changed when the battery was put in. Anything else?

I plan on using it for an around town daily ride but may try highway once I get used to it. If I do venture out of town I will need to change the windshield. I had it up to 55mph and the wind was bad at that speed with that tiny screen.

I might also add a rear box. Any suggestions there? I am on a tight budget so a top of the line Givi is out{unless I can find a good used one for cheap}.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Sounds nice for sure.
There are some things to check for with a scoot that has been basically idle that long. Like you state rubber tires, belt....but don't forget to also check the hoses too (radiator, brakes). The foam air filter is probably dry rotting and fairly cheap to replace. Also the brake fluid should be checked and or replaced if brown looking. The grease in the speedo sensor is probably rock hard and should be replaced before the rotor breaks.
I hope I didn't scare you but those few other items will help you have a more worry free scoot! Good Luck and be safe. ;)

PS- Get in the habit of checking the oil level at every gas up Just in Case!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on changing the airfilter no matter what. The dust often flys here and it is very fine so I plan on changing to a better filter. What I could see of the brake lines looked good, no cracks but will check the lines under the plastics. The fluid was supposedly checked when they changed the oil. The level was good through the little viewers and looked clean. I will check the radiator and coolant lines too.

You aren't scaring me. I have worked on engines since I was a teen and did all the maintenance on my 50cc scoot including changing tires. Since these tires need balancing I may have them done however{I have never balanced tires before and don't have those tools}.

Here is a picture of it! Just a quickie shot with my iPhone.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Nice looking scoot! Congratulations.

Coolant should definitely be changed. It's probably original and way too old.

My bikes are equally old, and all the rubber seems in fine condition.

So far as boxes, Bestem makes a very nice painted 42L box for around $75. Includes a backrest, brake light and wiring. They have a burgman mounting plate for $60 or so also, but I don't know if it fits the 06 bike.

Well, have a good time. Getting a new bike and fixing it up is a lot of fun! Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will change the coolant when I check the hoses. I hope I don't have to change the tires right off. They look fine, I could not find any cracking and they rode well. My friend said they have never lost any air.

I assume then the belt is OK too. I hate to have to replace it as it is double what I have to pay now for belts. BTW how many miles can you get out of this belt?

So far as boxes, Bestem makes a very nice painted 42L box for around $75. Includes a backrest, brake light and wiring. They have a burgman mounting plate for $60 or so also, but I don't know if it fits the 06 bike.
Bestem, thanks! Just checked them out and they look like nice boxes at a good price. But they don't have a mount for the 2006, it starts at 2007. I am mechanical and my father is a machinist so I am sure we can modify it or maybe make one. Box will be down the road a little bit.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Exactly the same as my girlfriend's ride. Hers had just over 1k miles when she bought it last fall and she paid a lot more than you did. In fact, I'd say you stole that thing! Good work, enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly the same as my girlfriend's ride. Hers had just over 1k miles when she bought it last fall and she paid a lot more than you did. In fact, I'd say you stole that thing! Good work, enjoy it.
The seller is an old family friend so he is selling cheaper than he normally would. The dealer offered him $1500 if he traded it toward another ride and $1200 cash. He has always been a big help to me and the family. He helped with some of my expenses when I went to school. In fact he was the executive producer on my student film because he gave me a couple hundred so I could shoot it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I assume then the belt is OK too. I hate to have to replace it as it is double what I have to pay now for belts. BTW how many miles can you get out of this belt?
The 07+ belt will comfortably last 20k. I've never read about them failing earlier. The last time I replaced my belt, it had 18.5k and still looked new. I didn't measure it though. Probably had a few K left.

06 belt might be different though.

I know this is a big step up for you, but you will grow to love this bike. When you get the freeway riding down, you will really appreciate the extra power. The 400 just shines on the freeway, so much more than a 250. You got a real MC, capable of cross country riding, should you choose. Enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are going to love this bike! Inspect all of the rubber, but I wouldn't get stressed about the belt or any rubber that doesn't have petroleum running through it. If it has been kept out of outside environment and temp swings were minimal, they should be fine. The Chinese scooter's belts don't last nearly as long as the Suzuki. I have owned both.
On the windshield, I have both. The Burgman 400 handles completely different with the different windshields. Both versions are fun to use,you just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the windshield, I have both. The Burgman 400 handles completely different with the different windshields. Both versions are fun to use,you just have to get used to it.
Thanks for that info. I hadn't thought about a bigger WS changing the handling but that does make sense - different aerodynamics. For the time being it will be an around town commuter so I won't worry about that until I venture further and faster.

However I have been doing a lot of thinking about doing some short trips. My hobby is photography and there are lots of places and opportunities to shoot within a 200 mile radius. Be nice to be able to just hop on and go.

With that in mind I went looking for rear boxes and side bags and such. Boy those can get expensive in a hurry! Liam already directed me to the Bestem boxes so if I go that way at least there is an affordable solution. Anybody using soft side bags? I don't want to mount them all the time so hard side boxes are out. But the slip on soft side bags look like they would work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts