Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My husband and I live in Boise, Idaho and just purchased our Burgman 650 on March 19th. We are looking forward to some warmer weather so we can take some nice road trips. We are also looking for suggestions for a passenger backrest. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Carla & Mike :wink:

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Carla. Glad to have you join us and congratulations on the new Burgman 650. Be sure to tell Mike to drop by and see us here too.

There's a few options for a passenger backrest such as the Suzuki seen here :

http://tfic.com/v-web/gallery/Burgman650/an650k4fe022

Or the Givi B529 aftermarket seen here :

Givi B529 Backrest on Givi.com

Since you plan on doing some road trips, I'd suggest a topbox with a backrest on it. Givi offers several models. One other model that some Burgman riders have adapted to fit is the VIP boxes. They are pretty slick looking and compared to the Givi, much less expesive. There's been a few people say they're not as nice as the Givi, but a good box for the money. You can find them on ebay. Here's one example :

Blue VIP topbox on eBay

If you really want that specific box (without waiting for another auction), you'll have to bid close to the buy it now price. ;) I'm sure some of the other forum members will chime in with good suggestions too.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Greetings Carla and welcome to the forums. Congrats on the 650. I added the OEM backrest to my machine and my regular passenger thinks it's great. She says that she feels so secure back there that she doesnt hold on anymore.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome to Burgman USA and congrats on the new 650 :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Burgie!

I use the Fehling Sissybar with backrest, which also includes a small luggage rack. It looks great, however I put it on the day before I winterized and stored the big scoot, so my wife has not had a ride to test it out for comfort. She did hop on and lean back and said she liked it fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Carla & Mike, welcome, and especially welcome to a fellow Boise rider.
My silver 650 was ready just a few days before yours and maybe you're the ones Tim, at Carl's, said was chomping at the bit to get the first one.

Soon as it arrives, probably later this week, Carl's will be installing a Givi case with back rest and I'll let you know now it looks / works.

I should also point out 2 problems with the Corbin seat which arrived and was installed yesterday. 1) I'm 6'4" with long arms and still didn't come close to reaching the handle bars. I can't imaging who the "regular" seat is made to fit. The quality is supurb and the back rest is very versital in position and comfort and I expect it will help releave my back problems, soon as the fit is worked out with Corbin. From all I've heard, they are a consumer friendly company and expect them to find a solution. Beautifully made and very comfortable, just a heck of a reach to the bars. 2) The Corbin is so heavy it won't stay open. Anyone have an idea how to beef up the support arm a bit? It will be kind of a pain to keep it propped up with a stick.

One more thing. I'm planning a beautiful 4 night, 5 day mountain ride for late July or early August. Boise - Sunvalley - Yellowstone - Bozeman - Missoula (Lolo Pass: Lewis & Clark's contenintal divide crossing) - Donnelly, Id (great cabin with room for lots of riders ) - Boise. Will include spectacular scenery, secluded camping, fabulous twisties along white water rivers, isolated camping and luxury cabins. Leaving Boise about noon on a Wed, back in Boise any time you want Sunday. The date is flexible and hoping to get a few Burgie riders from out of state, maybe big city folk, unfamilier with Idaho, to go along.

I'll let you know how Corbin handles the seat problem.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome Carla and Mike! I have the corbin regular also. And it is a bit of a stretch to reach the bars. I use my backrest to prop me up forward to help, but my rear end isn't "in the pocket" of the seat. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. However, I must say that with only one backrest installed, my gas piston hold up device holds the seat open with no problem. I have to lift it ALL THE WAY open though, and some ppl may just hit the point where the opening resistance rises, and stop lifting open there...if you do that, it will not stay open. I need to open it up all the way to the end of the strut's travel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seems all gas pistons are not created equal. I too have just one back rest, and even with the rod extended all the way, it just barely won't hold, starts slowly and slightly accerlates all the way down. I read about the same problem for the '04 & '03 and was hoping Suzuki would take care of it.

Regarding the back rest, it's truly high quality and very comfortable. I'm looking forward to Corbin's solution so I'll be able to sit in the pocket with slightly bent arms, supported in the back and taking in the fresh air. May forget the way home.

So far two e-mails, one call and no response from Corbin.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Should be able to find a stronger gas arm to hold the seat up.
There nine million different size available, for cars, snowmobiles, industrial uses etc.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Oh - btw Carla and Mike - I bought the stock passenger backrest but I didn't have it installed - now it's up to me to do it if I want to. I just hate the thought of drilling through that precious lump of plastic butt swingin' out there in the breeze! 8) - So for now it just sits in my workshop. I am not sure if I will use it or not. If I return to the stock seat I will definitely install it - however, for now, I think it would look a bit out of place with my corbin saddle and backrest.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
In early conversations that Greengoose had with Corbin, he identified the problem with the strut not holding up the seat. I believe that Corbin said they would make a beefier strut. You might call them and see if they did follow through on that.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
GEOBOISE said:
...I read about the same problem for the '04 & '03 and was hoping Suzuki would take care of it...
Since the OEM strut holds up the OEM seat just fine, I don't think Suzuki will be making any changes.

Since Corbin seats are the problem, hopefully Corbin will come up with a workaround. Either a more powerful strut, or maybe a latching mechanism to hold it open and the OEM strut to keep it from closing too fast when released.

Other custom seats, those that use the OEM seat pan, don't seem to have this problem as far as I am aware. Corbin's pan is really strong, but also really heavy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts