Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding every size bike out there for the last 20 yrs, I've been looking real hard at the 650 Burgman. It should be small enough to be a great commuter but still have enough umph to do a little touring.

My Question is.....Is there enough of a difference in the 05's to 03's to justify spending an extra $1000.

A sort of local dealer has a few left over new 03's that he is selling for $5999 when the dealer right down the street offered me an 05 for $6999.

Any insight is helpful.

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
2004 Burgman 650 changes
  • California model equipped with catalyst in exhaust to reduce emissions[/*:m:3uldve7p]
2005 Burgman 650 changes
  • Center section of front cowl changed from black color to body color for improved appearance[/*:m:3uldve7p]
  • Turn signal lens changed to white color for improved appearance[/*:m:3uldve7p]
  • New transmission Over-Drive feature for better fuel economy at highway speeds[/*:m:3uldve7p]
  • Fuel consumption indicator, temperature indicator and Over-Drive indicator added to the instrument panel[/*:m:3uldve7p]
In 04 they also added a small plastic rain deflector that's a few dollar part. If you plan on selling/trading in a short time, the 2 year older model will effect your resale value and if you plan on touring, the OD in the 05 could be handy. The dieseling noise may have been reduced in the 05 model too. $1000 sure makes the 03 tempting tho. ;)

It's really up to you.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Aside from having more value in a few years, (if you want to sell or trade up) the 05 has a cash back feature .
If the overdrive works as expected then you will a little of that extra 1000 back over the next few years, even if gas prices don't go up (Ha HA.)
If you can swing it, I would think the 05 is the way to go in your case.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ok, first of all, as the prices sit now, figuring in standard depriciation plus the added features of the 05, I think you gotta go with the 05.

First, the 03 is used. As soon as you purchase the bike and ride it off the lot, it is worth around what the NADA value of the bike is...which according to my research is around 5300 bucks, substantially less than the 5995 the dealer is asking. In fact, in the auto trader I found a 2003 with 1000 miles on it for 5K even. Would I give another thousand for a thousand less miles? Absolutely not.

Here's my bet....I bet that if you present the case above to the dealer with the 03, he might throw in a good helmet or some other accessories, perhaps a free 600 mile service or something.

If he wanted me to buy it, he would have to.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It it were me, I'd go for the '05, primarily to get the overdrive. But there is nothing wrong with an '03. I'm approaching 17,000 miles on my '03 and I have no urge to trade it. $1000 dollars can buy some serious accessories, riding gear, etc. You might even be able to squeeze another $200 or so discount on the '03 model if you try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the quick answers...

I guess it will all come down to what the First Bank of Beth (my wife) will approve me for.

Looking around some more I found a dealer willing to go a little better on the 05 so I may just use that as a haggling tool to get the 05. It looks like the 03 would save me about $15 - 20 a month but if it is going to cost me more in gas, and not be worth as much if I ever wanted to sell it, it may be better to go with the 05.

I'll let you know if or when I get one. This is a great site, for a great Scoot.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ElantraDriver said:
Thanks for all the quick answers...

I guess it will all come down to what the First Bank of Beth (my wife) will approve me for.

Looking around some more I found a dealer willing to go a little better on the 05 so I may just use that as a haggling tool to get the 05. It looks like the 03 would save me about $15 - 20 a month but if it is going to cost me more in gas, and not be worth as much if I ever wanted to sell it, it may be better to go with the 05.

I'll let you know if or when I get one. This is a great site, for a great Scoot.
Well I'm supposed to go pick up mine on Thursday...an '03 400 with 150 miles on it that I paid $4300 for including Tax/Tag/Title...

I found mine on http://www.cycletrader.com which is a nationwide website as well as the printed weeklys.

I think that before I narrowed the search down to just the Southeast US (35 available) nationwide there were I believe 125 for sale..

Search criteria were "Suzuki" and in keywords "burgman".

I probably would have gone for a new 400 but the dealer here in Orlando was unwilling to negotiate despite me sitting at the desk Fanning myself with a thick stack of $100 bills.

Ended up online and buying one from a Used Cycle/ATV dealer about 50 miles away.

The Suzuki Dealer doesn't like selling the Burgmans I think...None in the Showroom and the couple they had were around the corner of the building where you would only find them if you were searching for them.

As for the First National Bank of Beth....Tell her with the Gas Savings Think how much Extra Cash there will be for Shopping. }:~D

~ Roland

1 - 7 of 7 Posts