1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
There is a Parking Brake., very effective. No worries about hills

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
So, since there's no clutch, I'm worried about control at slow speed, f.ex. going up the driveway and turning around in the garage. Am I unnecessarily worried?
You bet you are. It's just like driving your automatic car. Do you worry about pulling into the driveway or garage with it? Stop procrastinating and go buy one....hehe

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You should not have any trouble at all, the hardest part may be turning around in the garage, most likely a walk it around unless your garage is empty, and most times the garage is only empty in a new home :!:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Stormsteed,

The 400 seat is so low you can easily push the bike around the garage or down the driveway, you will find that to be one of the Burgman's best features. On the other hand slow speed handling can be a little tricky because of the clutch engagement at low rpms. One way to do it is to roll on a little throttle and hold it steady at the clutch engagement point, then drag the rear brake to keep your speed in check.
The best way to go up a steep driveway is to just nose into the garage and when you want to leave just back out and use the rear brake (left lever) as you back down the hill. The left lever is a combo brake but the idea is the same, the front brake is not as effective backing down a hill.

Thanx
Russ

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think I'm gonna try jacking it up on the Canadian Tire motorcycle jack about 3-4 inches and spinning it on the dolly wheels. My situatio is just like yours and I hate backing it down the driveway but it's hard to do an "Austin Powers" in the garage with the 650 :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Harold said:
I think I'm gonna try jacking it up on the Canadian Tire motorcycle jack about 3-4 inches and spinning it on the dolly wheels. My situatio is just like yours and I hate backing it down the driveway but it's hard to do an "Austin Powers" in the garage with the 650 :lol: :lol:
Hi in regards to the turntable stuff, a industrial movers plate like we use on some jobs might do the trick ( or make one ) it's a solid plate with bent wings on 2 opposite sides to attach the (4) casters. this way the plate is lower than the casters. in our case 1/2 inch off the ground. for stability you could drill a hole in the concrete and insert a tube , then add a pivot pin under the plate. ride over the plate 1/2 inch. and position the bike so that the center stand sits on the plate. it would take apx. 18 X 18 inches square of room and could be remove. Marc

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Russ Schaeffer said:
Stormsteed,
The best way to go up a steep driveway is to just nose into the garage and when you want to leave just back out and use the rear brake (left lever) as you back down the hill. The left lever is a combo brake but the idea is the same, the front brake is not as effective backing down a hill.
I agree with Russ. I have a similar situation with my 650 where I go up a ramp into my shed. I don't have enough room to turn the bike around so I back it out and down the ramp using the technique Russ described. No problem! :D

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Can not turn around. Is it possible to put a door at each end and just drive through, if not a turn table would be best. Everything is bigger in Texas but even when I lived in New Hampshire I had a drive thru.

Happy Trails
Poppy, #482

·
Registered
103 Posts
backing out of the garage

I don't have any problems just backing mine out of the garage and turning it around in my driveway but I've learned that just using the rear brake while backing it up is more stable than hitting the front brake. Just take it easy and it's really no problem. Sooner or later, you're going to park somewhere that forces you to back up either up or down an incline.

Al

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I knew it - I bl**dy knew it - and it is $30 cheaper - go figure!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts