Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Usually the snowmobile versions of helmets have one or more of the following options:
  • double pane lens[/*:m:164ka2tu]
  • removable breath deflector[/*:m:164ka2tu]
  • anti fog visor[/*:m:164ka2tu]
  • heated visor[/*:m:164ka2tu]

·
Registered
611 Posts
Most of the differences are going to be around keeping you warmer, and keeping the visor from fogging with breath shields, venting...
Helmets are also designed for specific types of uses though. If you are doing slow speed trials riding, then you want a lighter foam in the helmet, almost approaching bicycle specifics - because you want it to absord the impact instead of transferring it. As your speed increases, the type of impact it is protecting you from changes - and so does the helmet design. Pro-Tec uses the same shell in my kayaking helmet as it does it's snowboarding helmet - but the foam is harder in the snowboard helmet to handle a harder hit. I would think that a snowmobile helmet would be built for the same type (speed) of impact as what you would encounter on a maxi scooter - but each helmet model is different...

Readers Disgest Version -

I would think it would be a good helmet for cool weather riding, but may overheat on hot days...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yearss ago I bought a snowmobile helmet and used it for both my motorcycle and snowmobile. It was recently pointed out to me that snowmobile helmets are not necessarily DOT, CSA or SNELL approved and thus would be considered unsafe to be used on the road as a motocycle helmet. Not sure if this is still the case. I would check for it's certifcation by one or more of the three before buying it to use on your motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Snowmobile helmet difference...?

Stormsteed said:
...So, I was wondering, what makes a snowmobile helmet different from a motorcycle helmet? It says it's DOT approved...
"Lightweight thermoplastic shell is DOT-approved and features a fog-resistant dual lens shield and removable breath deflector"

As mentioned above, not all snowmobile helmets are DOT approved, but this one appears to be made up of add-ons to an existing M/C helmet.

I have an HJC M/C helmet, and in the catalog that came with it they offered the dual-lens shield, the breath deflector, and even a heated shield as after-purchase options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts