1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If not a system like Bill said and since the bike is trailing behind ,
you can get a small trailer weighs nothing two wheels and a 12" wide platform .
I have seen the style you show but never did like it.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Stormsteed said:
How about this folding trailer?
http://www.wikco.com/stngrtrlr.html

Scroll down towards the bottom to see how it folds. Has anyone used something like this?
Neat concept. $1485 (including shipping)? Eeek!!!

Yes you would be getting close (or slightly over) the 500 pound range including the carrier. Given the cost of the folding trailer, might it not be less expensive to upgrade the trailer hitch and going with the other hauler?

·
Registered
247 Posts
A tongue weight of 500lbs is huge. Did you mean a towing rate of 500 lbs.? Most small cars have a towing limit of 1000 lbs and a tongue weight limit of 100 lbs. The entire weight of the bike does not go on the tongue of the trailer. Most of the weight should go on the trailer's axle with some weight on the tongue. You want some weight on the tongue so the trailer doesn't sway. While placing all the weight on the back of a trailer could give you a tongue weight of zero the trailer would be all over the road. The ratio of tongue weight is 10% of the gross trailer weight. So if the trailer weighs in at 200lbs and the bike at 400 lbs your towing weight is 600 lbs and your tongue weight should be 80 lbs.

I think I've rambled on way too much.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The carrier we were discussing at the time is not a trailer at all and all the bike weight is on the hitch. Class 3 hitches support a tongue weight of 500 pounds and class 4 support 1000.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't think scooters (beacuse of the transmission) are to be towed like this. My reflex owner's manual stated this.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Stormsteed said:
I'm concerned about the scooter fitting on the back because the spare tire is externally mounted. Seems like it takes up a lot of space...
Then you could get the double bike carrier and just use the outside carrier. That should provide the extra space necessary for the tire.

·
Registered
88 Posts
cheap tow

:idea: Harbor freight has a small trailer for $189 and a rack(tire rail)(harbor freight steal ramp$49) can be bolted on...most of the way up the pull arm. Watch for sales and there are 2 diferent sizes of tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts