Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have one. ON saturday I was driving along a main street in relatively heavy traffic when a car made to pull out of a side street. Immediately everyone in fornt of me jammed on the brakes and resulted in a four car rear ender. I calmly did the emergency evasive manouver taught in the MSF course and bailed to the left thus riding away unscather. In a car it would have been unavoidable.

·
Registered
969 Posts
In 35 years of riding, I've had so many motorcycle close-calls, which would have crash-and-burns ina car, that I couldn't begin to name them all.

I've had 'unseen motorist' events on a bike, but since I generally run with my headlights on bright, they don't happen very often.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Harold said:
Immediately everyone in fornt of me jammed on the brakes and resulted in a four car rear ender. I calmly did the emergency evasive manouver taught in the MSF course and bailed to the left thus riding away unscather. In a car it would have been unavoidable.
Glad you avoided the crunch, but I must disagree that in a car it would have been unavoidable. If everyone would obey the "2 second rule" on following distance there would be few rear-enders.

If a tree falls in front of you, or a jet crashes in your path, that's unavoidable. But if a driver in front of you slams on his or her brakes, Newton's law is at work and they won't come to an instant halt. Unless you're following too close for the conditions you can stop in time too.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brian said:
If everyone would obey the "2 second rule" on following distance there would be few rear-enders.
True. But that just isn't the case in most urban areas of the USA that I have ridden in. People not only follow to close, but they talk on their cell phones at the same time, distracting their mind from driving. It's not a good situation, and it is all too typical.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
True. But that just isn't the case in most urban areas of the USA that I have ridden in. People not only follow to close, but they talk on their cell phones at the same time, distracting their mind from driving. It's not a good situation, and it is all too typical.
Yeah, I can't believe the stuff I see sometimes...cell phones are bad, but I've seen people steering with their knees while they eat a bowl of cereal in the moning, people reading while driving, even sexual activity of different kinds (I won't go into detail).

Of course those in the rage cages aren't the only guilty ones. I've also seen guys on sport bikes doing wheelies on the freeway, HD "bikers" weaving in and out across multiple lanes without a single signal, and a smaller scooter rider with TWO passengers aboard!

To quote an old favorite movie of mine (American Graffitti), "Driving is a serious business. Ya can't be foolin' around!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts