Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have FINALLY joined the ranks of the "real" scooter owners! Sold the 50cc and just bought a semi-project 2003 blue Burgman 650. I need to have it shipped from Arizona to Florida. Anyone here ship motorcycles for a living or planning a road trip to Florida soon?! I have received quotes from several places but think they are outrageous. So far ForwardAir seems to be the most reasonable. Has anyone had any experience with them or shipping a bike in general? I have shipped cars before but never a cycle. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dee

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Dee,
You could try http://www.horizonsunlimited.com they have a list of companies that transport motorcycles.
I had a quad sent from Saudi to UK in the past and it worked out cheaper if it went by the slowest method. Dearest by air, cheaper by sea and cheaper still by overland.
Good luck with your new project Burgman,don't paint it Pink though.

Cheers
Ian :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
P.D.Q.S.B. said:
Hi Dee,
You could try http://www.horizonsunlimited.com they have a list of companies that transport motorcycles.
I had a quad sent from Saudi to UK in the past and it worked out cheaper if it went by the slowest method. Dearest by air, cheaper by sea and cheaper still by overland.
Good luck with your new project Burgman,don't paint it Pink though.

Cheers
Ian :D
Why?
Lets see it in photoshop - you may even get sponsored by the Barbie oufit! :lol:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scooter Pics

Hi Norman!

I couldn't figure out how to post to the gallery and these pics aren't great anyway. (Could have something to do with being a blonde...) Here is a link to what I have. More detailed pictures will be posted once I actually get the scoot here. I am expecting the worst so I might be pleasantly suprised...

http://www.bjstebbins.com/xcart407/catalog/wreckedburgie.jpg

Having moved to Florida and taken about a 70% cut in pay this is the only way I'll be able to afford one. I might have to put it together bit by bit...BUT I can ride year round and there isn't any snow!

Hope you are on the mend.

Dee

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Dee (Hi) :)

Wow :shock: that is really brave of you to take on a project like that.

You will have to have bought cheap (I trust the frame/forks are OK) and spend wisely to come out ahead on that one. The problem is replacement plastic is hard to find (well except expensive new stuff from the dealer) as there are not a lot of 650s around, not many of those scrapped to act as donors and those that are - well they likely have the same damaged panels! However they do crop up on Ebay (In Europe) but not often. There was a guy who sold two whole undamaged Burgman 650s san engine and transmission which he had used for a project - can't recall how much he got for them.

Anyway, good luck with the project - it would be a great one to document and picture! :wink:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frame & Forks are ok?

Supposedly the frame and forks are ok. I am figuring on having to put about $1500-$2000 into it. I couldn't pass it up for the price I paid. I asked MANY questions prior to purchasing it. I stand by the "Buyer Beware" motto so I am never disappointed but thanks for the concern. That's why I love this site so much. I feel like I have 1000 good friends!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Re: Frame & Forks are ok?

ScubaGirl said:
Supposedly the frame and forks are ok. I am figuring on having to put about $1500-$2000 into it. I couldn't pass it up for the price I paid. I asked MANY questions prior to purchasing it. I stand by the "Buyer Beware" motto so I am never disappointed but thanks for the concern. That's why I love this site so much. I feel like I have 1000 good friends!
If you paint it orange, that would look cool. If you apint it hot pink, being a girl, you could get away with it. If youw as a guy, you'd get beat up....ALOT... :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts

wilder days said:
If you paint it orange, that would look cool. If you apint it hot pink, being a girl, you could get away with it. If youw as a guy, you'd get beat up....ALOT... :lol:
Yeah - but some guys like getting beat up -----------allegedly! :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Orange or Pink?

Well, blue is actually my favorite color...however I live in central Florida and most people here DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE!

Since this is a project bike and the skin has to come off anyway...I'm thinking BRIGHT paint job and a 132db horn for good measure! (I am leaning toward the neon Pink only because it isn't manly and might keep dear hubby off it :D ) Now that I am thinking about it...maybe even some of those nice spike things mounted to the wheel hubs...ThunderDome here I come!

For those of you who know me from the beginning of BurgmanUSA Jack didn't even want me to get the 50CC...now I think he is almost as excited as I am to get the big scoot on the road not that he would EVER admit it! Of course it was bound to rub off since that is the only thing I have been talking about for 2 years!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Scubagirl,

Where are you located in Florida? We have an informal scooter riding group out of South East Florida and some of the group also rides with the South Florida Riders Club. Check out our group at:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sou ... aScooters/

You have to join to post, just click join group and pick a name.

Enjoy your new scooter and be safe.

Janine

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Dee - go on do it you know it makes sense - Barbie Pink!

If I could drive Photoshop I would show you how kooool it would look - sort of Lady Penelope! :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Orange or Pink?

ScubaGirl said:
(I am leaning toward the neon Pink only because it isn't manly and might keep dear hubby off it :D )
It would keep me off of it! :shock: :lol:

A few years ago my daughter and one of her brothers were fighting over who would get the largest bedroom. She went out and came back with some paint cans. A few hours later, the room was a bright raspberry pink color. She got the room!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lady Penelope?

Boy Norman, you are really showing your age...of course I guess I am too since I know who you are talking about!

P.S. Hope you are mending well. Just remember...even if it hurts to lift a pint...after a few more it won't! If I ever make it over to your side of the pond I'll meet you for a good pub breakfast and a Guinness...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Lady Penelope?

ScubaGirl said:
Boy Norman, you are really showing your age...of course I guess I am too since I know who you are talking about!

P.S. Hope you are mending well. Just remember...even if it hurts to lift a pint...after a few more it won't! If I ever make it over to your side of the pond I'll meet you for a good pub breakfast and a Guinness...
Whatever do you mean :shock: The thunderbirds film only released in UK during 2004.

PS: WMP! :)

·
Registered
553 Posts

NormanB said:
wilder days said:
Yeah - but some guys like getting beat up -----------allegedly! :D
Sounds like Norm knows what he is talking about

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought the question was about shipping your Burgman :?:
Perhaps the colour will make a difference to the cost. :D

Ian

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
seatec said:
Dale Earnhardt,s first stock car was pink :shock: I hope you all know who he was, well maby not Norman, but he would know Jackie Stewart :wink:
Yeah I know of DE!

Amazon has a good offering at the moment Dale Earnhardt :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts