Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 AN650 with only around 4K miles. Here is where I could use your wisdom. Apparently, the '09 650's have an issue with the reg/rectifier's. I guess there has never been an official recall but there are reports of issues.

Here's my question: Should I just go ahead and replace it (a job I'm pretty confident I could handle), or just keep riding and hope my '09 will never be affected? Not too thrilled possibly getting stranded ... even on an island!

I don't post often but I sure do respect the collective wisdom of each of you.
Aloha!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I too have a '09 650 but am not aware of any regulator/rectifier problems with 09 Burgmans beyond that of the issue that almost all motorcycles have with them. It is just that no one has been very successful in making a regulator/rectifier that holds up over time very well. All kinds of tricks have been tried, shunting regulator and special series regulators. They still fail. I just look at it as something to keep an eye on via a voltmeter and change them when they first start to fail. That way I can usually keep them from taking the stator and/or the battery with them when they die. So, as I have already said, a good voltmeter for the dash of your Burgman is money well spent.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Yes there seems to be a higher number failing on '09's from what I have read and personally know someone that had to replace his early on. I however (knock on wood) haven't had an issue with my '09 after 22K miles but I were to replace it I would do the Shindengen MOSFET. http://roadstercycle.com/

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most moving mechanical parts will fail on any machine under the certain conditions. Some parts will fail sooner than others. As noted earlier, if you are concerned about a particular part failing the only thing you can do is continue to monitor the condition of the item in question. Hooking up a voltmeter gauge to your system will allow you to more easily monitor the condition of your charging system and might give you a heads up that something is not operating properly.

I have mounted a voltmeter gauge on pretty well all of my bikes where I have added auxiliary items that draw current on the oem charging system. Currently I have a Kuryakn LED Battery Gauge mounted on my dash that monitors my system. It is, simply put, a $40.00 "peace of mind" add on.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/872/led-battery-gauge

Is it necessary? That is probably subjective, but if it gives you peace of mind then it is worth the investment IMHO.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have 19,000+ on my 09 and I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not aware of problems but the odds are very low anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would say to watch that your charging voltage doesn't go too high.
I have a GoldWing, 1976 LTD and one of the guys had a bad regulator go bad and when he put a voltmeter on it, it showed 18 volts.
I burnt out his stator and one ignition coil.
The regulator has to shunt to ground whatever is not used by the bike.
So, high or low is bad. 14.2 is what your want.

JimV

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a 2009 AN650 with only around 4K miles. Here is where I could use your wisdom. Apparently, the '09 650's have an issue with the reg/rectifier's. I guess there has never been an official recall but there are reports of issues.

Here's my question: Should I just go ahead and replace it (a job I'm pretty confident I could handle), or just keep riding and hope my '09 will never be affected? Not too thrilled possibly getting stranded ... even on an island!

I don't post often but I sure do respect the collective wisdom of each of you.
Aloha!
I go along with the guys who have posted an answer....that its maybe 'just one of those things that can happen to ANY vehicle'

There was no official recall here in the UK......BUT......I've owned an 07, 09, and now own 2012 model, ....the '09 rectifier gave out after a few hundred miles. My 07 & '12 have been ok.

Just bad luck?....just 'one of those things'? .......just sayin!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Westnash, I believe there was a recall of the '08/'09 400's to replace the regulator / rectifier. This did not include the 650's.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would not replace it until it fails as it's fairly expensive. I installed a good charging system monitor on my 650 from sparkbright.co.uk . I chose the 8mm eclipse model and it was around $32.00 with the shipping from England. Very easy to install one hole & 2 wires to connect. Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts