Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope many of you will do this .....

This morning I called my local newspaper to see if they would do a local feature on Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. Editor said they have a reporter working on a story in light of the three (actually four)
motorcycle related deaths in the past two weeks:( Reporter will contact me,? Hopefully.

I'm gonna pitch the idea / hook for the story as an anonymous rider who has been hit by a car and survived. (True story). With the idea being that there are many folks who ride and that most automobile operators don't know people who ride. Ergo, Anonymous.... Don 't just write neat poetry:) Ok I won't actually be this corny when talking with reporter.

In addition to the story being about all the MSAM that can be gleaned from the web .... I'm hoping that the story will include things that motorcycle riders would like for automobile operators to know about motorcycle safety:

Here's how you can help....
#1What would you like "gagers" to know about motorcycle riders as it's relates to our safety?
#2 Call your local paper and ask them to feature a story
(I'm asking for them to do this as a Sunday feature b/c that will be their largest circulation)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
#1 look twice before making a left turn and put the freakin' cell phone down.

#2 who reads newspapers?

Now maybe put some MC safety tips scrolling beside video of a bunny eating raspberries and you might have something.

8M hits and counting...
http://youtu.be/A9HV5O8Un6k

·
Registered
89 Posts
#1 Motorcycles do not stop better than cars, so stop pulling out in front of them just because you feel safe about it - and because the last nine stopped in time!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked with reporter. He is working on the story. We will talk again Thursday after I hear from you guys. Your input could save a life? BTW, reporters last name is Amburgey:)

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1 for putting the phone down!!!!!!

late,
Coz

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
"When the transmission's in gear,
keep the phone out of your ear."

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Both the papers I subscribe to have already run pieces on motorcycle safety week

And yes Liamjs I do read both of them in their printed paper form. :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I like it. I just shot a request for our local paper to run a story. Not only are many local bikes coming out for the season but, we are and will be seeing many more out-of-towners enjoying the Colorado scenery and roads.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Both the papers I subscribe to have already run pieces on motorcycle safety week

And yes Liamjs I do read both of them in their printed paper form. :)
I was making a keen observation on the status of our society... Sadly most people prefer the video of a bunny eating raspberries to traditional print news media.

Which would you invest in? YouTube or the Times print newspaper?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay guys, gonna talk with the reporter dude tomorrow at 11 a.m. or so ......... need to hear from you guys on this question.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE "GAGERS" TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL SAFTEY WHILE RIDING?

thanks for previous responses!

Sirkitrider

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Look Twice For Motorcycles...
We Are Entitled To a Whole Lane..Don't Crowd Us Over...
Don't Cut Back Into The Lane In Front Of Us, Then Stop...
THERE ARE NO FREE LANE CHANGES...A TURN SIGNAL IS
REQUIRED EVERY TIME...
(sorry...I need to go take a blood-pressure pill)

·
Registered
104 Posts
you and I both :mad:

"LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER WHEN CHANGING LANES, ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE BLIND SIDE MIRRORS" :mad::mad::mad::whdat::whax:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look Twice For Motorcycles...
We Are Entitled To a Whole Lane..Don't Crowd Us Over...
Don't Cut Back Into The Lane In Front Of Us, Then Stop...
THERE ARE NO FREE LANE CHANGES...A TURN SIGNAL IS
REQUIRED EVERY TIME...
Sorry to get you so riled up .......... but thanks for your input:)

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay groovie guys and groovie gals,

Here is the information I sent to the reporter this morning. Hopefully it will be used to produce a good article. I'll post the article when it is printed, hopefully Sunday. Thanks for all your input. I used almost everything trying not to be redundant. ...................................

Rick, Thank you and the H-C for doing a story about motorcycle safety.

Below you will find:

1- comments from the web forums we spoke of in our phone conversation.

2- a copy of MSF Quick Tips which are excellent.

3- three additional links to MSF website: One which is the link to Quick Tips from #2, and
secondly, two videos which are very informative and should assist you in information gathering

*Number two is probably the best and most concise of these three pieces of information. Although
they don’t say as much as needed about "distracted driving" (cell phone use/ texting)

Use this information for your story. Please feel free to contact me for questions or discussion of these
topics. If need be, I would be willing to share my personal story of a vehicle involved crash.

#1 Comments for motorcycle forums:

A. "look twice before making a left turn and put the freakin' cell phone down".

B. "Motorcycles do not stop better than cars, so stop pulling out in front of them just
because you feel safe about it - and because the last nine stopped in time"!

C. "put the phone down"!!!!!!

D. "When the transmission's in gear, keep the phone out of your ear."

E. "Look Twice For Motorcycles ... We Are Entitled To a Whole Lane ...
Don't Crowd Us Over... Don't Cut Back Into The Lane In Front Of Us, Then Stop...
THERE ARE NO FREE LANE CHANGES ... A TURN SIGNAL IS REQUIRED EVERY TIME..."

F. "LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER WHEN CHANGING LANES, ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO
DO NOT HAVE BLIND SIDE MIRRORS"

G. "I'd like to see the cars keeping off my back bumper ... Other than the usual stuff like
not paying attention I really dislike seeing in the mirrors some car closer than need be ....
even when not at a stop light.

H. "Look Twice. Share the Road. Save a Life."

I. "Another is promotion of a motorcycle counting game. The rationale for this is that like
the old Slug Bug or license plate games that got folks use to looking for those things.
The motorcycle counting game will get them use to looking for motorcycles."

J. "Look For Motorcyclists -- Use your eyes and mirrors to see what's around, and check
the blind spots when you're changing lanes or turning at intersections. Look, and look again."

K. "Focus on Driving -- Hang up the phone, put down the MP3 player, settle the passengers, and drive.

L. "Give Two-Wheelers Some Room -- Don't tailgate or pass too closely."

M. "Take Your Time -- Nothing is as important as the safety of your loved ones, yourself, and the
others with whom you share the road.

O. All these principles can be boiled down to this paraphrase of the Golden Rule:
Drive near others as you would have others drive near you.

#2. Top Ten Tips from MSF ... http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/motorist_awareness_tips.pdf

QUICK TIPS: Ten Things All Car & Truck Drivers Should Know About Motorcycles

1. Over half of all fatal motorcycle crashes involve another vehicle. Most of the time, the car or truck driver, not the motorcyclist, is at fault. There are a lot more cars and trucks than motorcycles on the road, and some drivers don't "recognize" a motorcycle - they ignore it (usually unintentionally).

2. Because of its narrow profile, a motorcycle can be easily hidden in a car's blind spots (door/roof pillars) or masked by objects or backgrounds outside a car (bushes, fences, bridges, etc). Take an extra moment to look for motorcycles, whether you're changing lanes or turning at intersections.

3. Because of its small size, a motorcycle may look farther away than it is. It may also be difficult to judge a motorcycle's speed. When checking traffic to turn at an intersection or into (or out of) a driveway, predict a motorcycle is closer than it looks.

4. Motorcyclists often slow by downshifting or merely rolling off the throttle, thus not activating the brake light. Allow more following distance, say 3 or 4 seconds. At intersections, predict a motorcyclist may slow down without visual warning.

5. Motorcyclists often adjust position within a lane to be seen more easily and to minimize the effects of road debris, passing vehicles, and wind. Understand that motorcyclists adjust lane position for a purpose, not to be reckless or show off or to allow you to share the lane with them.

6. Turn signals on a motorcycle usually are not self-canceling, thus some riders (especially beginners) sometimes forget to turn them off after a turn or lane change. Make sure a motorcycle's signal is for real.

7. Maneuverability is one of a motorcycle's better characteristics, especially at slower speeds and with good road conditions, but don't expect a motorcyclist to always be able to dodge out of the way.

8. Stopping distance for motorcycles is nearly the same as for cars, but slippery pavement makes stopping quickly difficult. Allow more following distance behind a motorcycle because you can't always stop "on a dime."

9. When a motorcycle is in motion, see more than the motorcycle - see the person under the helmet, who could be your friend, neighbor, or relative.

10. If a driver crashes into a motorcyclist, bicyclist, or pedestrian and causes serious injury, the driver would likely never forgive himself/herself. www.msf-usa.org

#3. It time permits see these links also .....

A. Top Ten Tips from MSF ... http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/motorist_awareness_tips.pdf

B. The MSF has a website for Drivers ... it's at http://www.forcardrivers.com/index.html.

C. If you only see one see this one .......... "Common Road" http://www.forcardrivers.com/video.html

Again, thank you Rick and H-C for doing a story on Motorcycle Safety

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BTW, Please feel free to cut and paste any or all of this and pass along to your local paper.

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kudos Sirkitrider_2. I will share this to my FB page and other forums as soon as I get home.. Can't access it at work ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Guess that reporter missed quick tip #1, ie most cycle/car accidents are the fault of the car.

One thing that really gets me is when a car speeds up to pass me then pulls in front and slows down. That seems to happen all the time, even when I am at or a little above the speed limit. it it because they can't stand having my little 400 scooter in front of them?

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Cburgdof, drivers do that because of some crazy desire to get in front of someone. It even happens when I'm in my truck, they just have to pass something, of course then they drop anchor! Very frustrating! This is the main reason I think Photon torpedoes should be legal!:p
Ride safe!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts