Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need your help I have a 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 and it's looking like I'm going to need a starter now I've been on jnp online motorcycle parts in the thought of spending $500 for starter well you know how I feel so I'm asking you guys do you know of any place where I can get that starter new or rebuilt it doesn't matter other than jnp

Premium Member

Reactions: Gene563 and JRoss

Registered
those links are asian starter replacements. I bought one. I opened it up. looks like it has less copper windings than oem. also no resin on the wires vs the oem. my oem had worn brushes. I do not think asian electronics (be it chargers impact wrenches starters and even aa nimh batteries) are high quality. they always lie on the specs and overhype numbers. and theyve been proven to be the worst in specs vs other products. yes it should work. but how long is the better question. its a pita to get to the motor but a good 45-60 minute job to complete

personally id open the starter, see whats the problem, clean it, check it by connecting it to a battery and see if it spins. if you need only the brush assembly, buy that oem part and put it all together again. if the magnets and coiled shaft are good and just needs the brushes, you can buy only that. lightly sand (2000 grit) the commuator part and use a box cutter to make sure the gaps are clear between them. wipe it down with alcohol or contact cleaner.

I opened mine and Its not terribly difficult. the oem one is denso. you may even consider a used one from a pulled scooter with low miles. clean the concave area good from all debris. make sure none goes in the engine when you pull it. use grease on the oring before slipping in. slide it back gently till you fell it goes in without trouble, if not spin the head just a bit so the gears line up and a few very very light taps from the plastic handle of a screwdriver and youre good to go. clean both posts AND the connector of the wire before connecting.

Premium Member
and then with all the money you saved, you can buy the wifey something shiney, like a chrome tray to serve refreshin beverages on.

Registered
those links are asian starter replacements. I bought one. I opened it up. looks like it has less copper windings than oem. also no resin on the wires vs the oem. my oem had worn brushes. I do not think asian electronics (be it chargers impact wrenches starters and even aa nimh batteries) are high quality. they always lie on the specs and overhype numbers. and theyve been proven to be the worst in specs vs other products. yes it should work. but how long is the better question. its a pita to get to the motor but a good 45-60 minute job to complete

personally id open the starter, see whats the problem, clean it, check it by connecting it to a battery and see if it spins. if you need only the brush assembly, buy that oem part and put it all together again. if the magnets and coiled shaft are good and just needs the brushes, you can buy only that. lightly sand (2000 grit) the commuator part and use a box cutter to make sure the gaps are clear between them. wipe it down with alcohol or contact cleaner.

I opened mine and Its not terribly difficult. the oem one is denso. you may even consider a used one from a pulled scooter with low miles. clean the concave area good from all debris. make sure none goes in the engine when you pull it. use grease on the oring before slipping in. slide it back gently till you fell it goes in without trouble, if not spin the head just a bit so the gears line up and a few very very light taps from the plastic handle of a screwdriver and youre good to go. clean both posts AND the connector of the wire before connecting.
There was a time starters and alternators, brake calipers were rebuilt. Rotors turned. Now it's just slap a new one on.

Reactions: s-steel

Registered
There was a time starters and alternators, brake calipers were rebuilt. Rotors turned. Now it's just slap a new one on.
very true. sadly, today is the cosumerism disposable world. use and throw away. ive also slowed down purchasing from the east. I prefer to buy usa and less cheap asian knock offs. they never are to spec and they never are quality. cheap is expensive. ask Mikey with his cussing with that bearing puller.

Registered

OEM is Asian - Japan.I鈥檓 guessing you mean to say Chinese?

Registered
yes. there are taiwanese products that are good. computer components come from there. japanese is high quality and accuarate spec. I consider japanese products on a high level like german products. especially with photography gear I use. I no longer will buy a lens made in china. its not the same as a japan made one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts