Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my 2007 Burgman 650, but find myself wishing for some music. I've been tempted by the Chinese compact motorcycle stereo units out there, but the reviews tend to be a mixed bag. I would like to keep costs low (under $100) and want it to sound nice, but with the wind noise and helmet it doesn't need to be audiophile quality, just decent. I also want there to be an FM option.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
want it to sound nice, but with the wind noise and helmet it doesn't need to be audiophile quality, just decent.
Oh it won't be anything close to audiophile. At speed and with a $100 budget, you might be able to make out what song it is and follow along with the tune, but don't expect much more.

I've seen guys wire up a Bluetooth speaker box and strap it on somehow. You May not even need to wire it if the battery life is good. sound won't be great, but it rarely is. Unless you have wind protection like a GW, stereos don't sound very good over 50mph.

Personally, you'd be better off with an in helmet solution. I'd invest in a Sena 20s. Has all the latest doodads & FM. Answer calls, get music, talk to passenger, etc. You can even plug in ear buds for the best sound.

I just use an old iPod with 8k songs on it, a decent pair of ear buds, and a remote that straps on the the handlebars. Works great, but I'm thinking about the 20s.

Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like my sena smh5, which comes in just under $100. It allows me to stream music from my phone, and I get phone calls and an intercom with it. The sound isn't great, but I don't think, given wind noise, I could get much better. The other option would be ear buds, but I was a little concerned about putting something solid in my ears, just in case I went down.

·
Registered
185 Posts
+1 to the SMH5. The 5 isn't the 10 or the 20 model in quality and features, but it works great for tunes on the road.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I have Shark two speaker units (600W claimed, but maybe a tenth of that actual) on each of my 650's.
If I remember correctly they came in at around $80, and were easy to install (MotorCycle Larry brake cylinder covers to mount the speakers).

They sound okay up to about 60-70mph, but begin to get lost in higher noise (urban) areas at higher speed.

I put a 4-speaker 1000W (claimed!) unit on my ST. That is always loud enough!! Came in at around $110- $120, I think.

Quality wise, you get what you pay for. Cheap, and quality rarely go hand in hand. But okay, and affordable do, and that's what these units are.

Reliability wise, I've had no issues with the Burgman units, but just began having one on the ST (I may have cooked the amp by having it in the fairing pocket, that gets a lot of engine heat). I relocated to the tail section, but problem still exists.

"You pays your money, and you takes your chance".

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I will always prefer helmet speakers,
plugged into an audio source.
At 60 MPH, they don't sound like
Bose Studio earphones, because
they're not Bose earphones, & I'm
not in a studio...but my helmet speakers
sound good enough to suit me, considering
the situation...& I can still hear traffic & sirens.
I have an automotive AM/FM/CD player &
I feed my XM receiver through the AUX input.
Cost IS a bit more than your present budget,
but I can cruise along to the '60s on 6' &
crank it up from time to time, & sing along.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you want audiophile, get Etymotic earbuds and experience sound the way it was intended. There is an App from Etymotic that will instantly alert you to change in ambient sound. I usually keep it low where I can still hear others around me.
Simba

·
Registered
770 Posts
Love my 2007 Burgman 650, but find myself wishing for some music. I've been tempted by the Chinese compact motorcycle stereo units out there, but the reviews tend to be a mixed bag. I would like to keep costs low (under $100) and want it to sound nice, but with the wind noise and helmet it doesn't need to be audiophile quality, just decent. I also want there to be an FM option.

Any recommendations?
Sena SMH5-FM.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have tried several different ways to enjoy music while riding & spent a good bit of money doing so. So far the best solution for me has been a relatively cheap pair of sony ear buds, Radians custom ear plugs & a video like this https://youtu.be/h0uEoPbi6ww.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i use my phone and some ear buds. you can buy a stereo that attaches to the helmet with ears phones to insert into the helmet, but its more than 100 dollars.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have tried earbuds and my phone. It worked, but I didn't like it. I do however like the sound I get from my factory old goldwing and speakers. I'm going to look into an automotive type radio. The issue will be finding a good spot to mount the speakers. Forget about the cheap china radio and speakers. I tried that and speakers were barely audible, and it wasn't much better with my helmet speakers plugged in.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have tried earbuds and my phone. It worked, but I didn't like it. I do however like the sound I get from my factory old goldwing and speakers. I'm going to look into an automotive type radio. The issue will be finding a good spot to mount the speakers. Forget about the cheap china radio and speakers. I tried that and speakers were barely audible, and it wasn't much better with my helmet speakers plugged in.
If GW sound is your standard, I fear you will be disappointed. I've seen pictures of Burgmans with some crazy sound systems, but they generally take up most of the useful spaces, like glove boxes and trunk, and are prohibitively expensive. So most compromise on either sound or space. But good luck. Hope you find a solution.

Btw, what bike is that in your avatar? Looks like a Burgman/GW Photoshop special. Or maybe a modified Helix. That silver on the side and front wheel looks like the GW, though.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Earbuds: if you can find ones that stay in and are comfortable, that's probably the best way to get decent audio quality and perhaps some noise reduction (just from being something in your ears -- the noise-cancelling ones provide no additional assistance). The main problem I have with them is that they take a few moments to insert, and often fall out when you put the helmet on over them -- and if not then, then they'll fall out while you're underway and can't stop to fix them.

In-helmet speakers: No noise reduction, but once installed you don't have to worry about them again. Might have difficulty hearing them over wind noise at higher speeds (or it might require hazardous volume levels to hear them). Of course, if they're loud enough you could just put in earplugs and crank the volume up enough to hear through the earplugs (weird as it seems, it can actually work pretty well).

Bike-mounted speakers: If you can hear them over wind noise at high speed, so can everyone within 100 yards. Even with their windows rolled up!

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's a Honda show scooter from around 1990. It never made it into production, and that's too bad. Sort of a GW mated to a PC800 in a scooter format.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts