Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..I'm in the process of buying either an 08 Burgman 400 with 13,600 miles for 3000 or a 2012 400 Burg ABS for 5000 with 180 miles. I'm new to riding so I'm not sure if ABS is something I should spend the extra dough on as well as lower miles and a newer bike. Or go for the 08 knowing some maintenance is coming up (new tires though), more mileage but almost half the price. All opinions will be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Always ABS - especially a new rider.
If you can afford the newer machine - you will not regret it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
+1 My recommendation is to always buy ABS for a public street-ridden machine. Streets have such varied traction surfaces and unexpected surprises. It more than pays for itself if it saves you even once. There are probably are people who really can brake shorter on non-ABS bikes under controlled conditions. But I would bet on an ABS-equipped monkey after riding a long day out on random roads and in all sorts of weather.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
2 yrs ago I bought a 2011 400 with 130 miles on it. I got it for the ABS. It is worth paying for. Today it has 43K on it.

13.6K is not very much mileage. If saving 2K will significantly impact your life, then you will not be disappointed with the 08. Depending on how much you will ride you are coming up on a new belt and tires which, if you do all the work yourself, will run you around $350. If you have it done, it'll be somewhat more.

Were it me, I'd get the ABS.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I guess I am what you would call a seasoned rider... Over 50 years in the saddle. I feel that on the street, ABS is worth it's weight in gold. It will save your bacon (most of the time) if you have to do an emergency panic stop. Well worth the extra money to get it on a bike. Most, if not all new street bikes now come with it standard, it is that important to rider safety. You will find people who poo, poo ABS saying they can stop quicker without ABS. This may be true with a professional rider on a track, but in general most riders would low side (or high side if the slide their front wheel) in a panic braking situation without ABS.

So, yes. Get the bike with ABS. You can thank those of us who told you to get it later after you have needed it once.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
As someone who has had his bacon saved by ABS, I'd say get the ABS machine every time. I've been riding for 44 years and ABS has never consciously been needed by me. But this one time, on the only the machine I've ever bought with ABS, it probably saved my life during an emergency crisis the like of which I had not experienced before. In my book it's a no brainer!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I will not buy another bike without abs.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
If the $5,000 is within your budget go for the 2012. I put 46k+ miles on my 07 400 without ABS & 13K+ miles so far on my 650 with ABS. Haven't needed it so far on either. One accident in 52+ years of driving. ABS wouldn't of helped. Hit from the rear while stopped on my 400 at a signal. :mad:

·
Registered
118 Posts
As others have already said. If you can afford the 2012 with ABS get it. I have a 2011 650 and it has already saved my hide at least twice. ABS equipped bike will always be safer than a non equipped version.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
+1 Would not longer ride without ABS and am seasoned rider.

If budget permit get it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ABS is more important for a new rider than it is for a seasoned rider. I think the most frequent cause of accidents for a new rider is the improper use of the brakes where one of the wheels locks up.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 08 Burgman 400 with 13,600 miles for $3000 will not be a bargain if it needs tires, brakes, etc. So, what does it need? That will be the real price of the vehicle. Did the owner take care of the 7500 mile service? Where? Is the receipt available? Was it ever dropped?
ABS is great but there is much more to consider than just miles and price. So, if you have done your homework, and if the 2012 Burg is priced right (and without doing any research I suspect it is) consider the other members advice above and get the newer vehicle with ABS.
Also, as a new rider, be ready for the pricing on the 600 mile service. Yes, it is advised, and if you can't complete it yourself you will want to be ready for it ($$$).
So, sorry, I think you have more research. But it will be worth it.
Happy riding!
Mrs B

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't often see such unanimity on this forum, but every single person (myself included) recommends ABS. Frankly, you should get it even if you can't afford it. Hospital bills are hugely more expensive than an extra $2,000.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had a 400 and now own a 650 executive with abs. Personally I would take the 650 any day over the 400. If you are looking for a grocery getter than get a 400 but if you are looking for something to jump on and go 200+ miles a day then you might want to consider the bigger Burman. I have owned my different bikes and the 650 one the most comfortable bike I have ever owned next to an Aspencade.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The ABS works extremely well.

It only has to work once and it pays for itself.

We all agree. Just do it.

Ride safe
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My newest scooter has ABS and the only reason I bought it was because everyone said it was a must have. It has not paid for itself yet but I have it if I need it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts