Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me? My dealer didn't do a valve adjustment during my 600 mile service, and now I'm at 1500 miles and my performance is seriously being hampered by something. The idle is becoming rough, is sounds "breathy" like it's not firing properly, and it's developing a subtle high-pitched whine when I come off of acceleration, and the power is not what it should be. My best guess is it's that valve adjustment i didn't have, and some of the valves are too tight. What I need is a direct reference to the fact that it should have been done at 600 miles from a reliable source, since I intend to get them to not charge me for stripping off the plastic twice, since they should have done it the first time when it was all apart anyway. Does anyone have any reference material that gives the right info? Maybe a scanned page or two... My Burgy is going to just sit until I get this straightened out, cuz I don't want to damage it.
:evil: :cry: :shaking: :angry3: :angry2: :angry1: :sad6: :sad7: :sad5: :sad4:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Haven't looked recently, but I bet it's in your owners manual.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm doublechecking, but I don't remember seeing it. I'll post again if I do find it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Caution: non-Burgman owner, so take the following advice with caution:

Having perused this forum for a few months, I seem to recall that the B400 maintenance schedule does call for a valve clearance check at the 600 mile service. But the reports seem to be that the valves were checked and were O.K. -- not needing adjustment.

If you go to the search function and type in "600 mile valve" for the search, click on 'search for ALL terms', and click on 'Display results as: 'posts' ', you'll get some appropriate posts. There are 7 if you search just the B400 forum, and about 40 if you search all of them.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
It's in there (the owners manual), They need to be checked / adjusted @ 600 miles. The dealer is refering to the 650.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
hrdillender said:
I'm doublechecking, but I don't remember seeing it. I'll post again if I do find it.
Look for a chart of "Service Intervals" or "Recommended Service" in your Owner's Manual. If it's anything like the 650 Owner's Manual it's the same chart that's in the Service Manual.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
It all depends on your dealer. and how much he is willing to do to keep you as a customer ( If the book says Check/adjust ).
If he tells you he checked it and it was fine then there's really not much you can do.
If your main concern is being charged for the plastic removal -if you have a trailer - remove the plastic yourself b/4 you drop the bike off.

Myself I would go down to the dealer -with a smile on my face- and have a talk with him.
After all a dealership stays in business in a large part by there service area reputation.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to him today. He didn't check them the first time, because he didn't look at the service schedule for my model, and assumed it would be fine until at least 4000 miles. At least he was honest about it. The first appointment I can get is next friday morning. He did say that since they missed it the first time, they'll "take care of me", whatever that means, exactly. I can't pull anything off first, since I'm gonna have to ride it there and wait until it's done, so if "taking care of me" at least means doing the work quickly and correctly, that'll be something, I guess. He did say that he wasn't sure he could attribute my symptoms to valve adjustments, which has me a little concerned. I don't know enough about the engine to know what else it might be. I do know if I was fixing an air-cooled bug (which is the extent of my engine knowledge) I'd put the cause on poorly adjusted timing and maybe a carbeurator that needed to be rebuilt, but I don't think any of that would apply here. Tight exhaust valves might also do it in a bug, so maybe it is the valves. I gotta wait a week to find out. :angry3:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi hrdillender,

Did you find out what caused the problem?

Was it valve, that needed adjustment?

I am just curious of your report.

Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Sorry I never got back on this. It seems the technician who tuned it previously left too much oil in the air filter when cleaning it. It clogged too quickly with dirt, and blocked the airflow. Simple, but it took the dealer 5 hours to find the problem, as well as having to strip it down to the frame trying to troubleshoot. That's what happens when the dealer sells bikes the technicians don't bother to learn about because they're "scooters". They screwed up the first time, so they ate the day's worth of labor. Good for me.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Do I assume then from your comment that they did, in fact, take care of it w/o charge? If so, I might be willing to give them some continued business, at least until I knew for certain whether they could do the job properly or not.

I'm really happy to hear that your baby is all better!

Good luck & stay alert out there!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, actually they did the repair at no charge. Once they finally got it back together it ran great, and has ever since. Given that they tore it completely apart and examined everything on it looking for the problem, at least I know it had a thorough inspection... :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
And that they finally know how to get all the tupperware off, & where things are, and the service schedule on an AN400. You should charge them a fee for training thier people for them, or at least rental on learning aids! :D :shock:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would suggest that you type up a nice letter thanking them for taking care of the problem.

I wouldn't mention the tech error, or the n/c, but just how pleased you were with their service and their concern with getting your bike to run properly. That would be the kind of letter that they would love to post in the showroom -- worth hundreds of dollars of advertising.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts