Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never ridden a motorcycle before, but I am going to purchase one in the next month or so. I happened upon the Burgman 650 while I was out "window shopping" and instantly fell in love. The only reason I have not purchased one yet is because all of my friends who ride tell me to get a regular motorcycle and not waste my time on a "scooter". But the Burgman seems to be so much more than just a "scooter". I would primarily use it to commute to work and school two nights a week. Help!!!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The 650 should be able to perform with most bikes on the road and better than a lot of them. Additionally it will do it with rider comfort. What type of "regular MCs" are you friend referring to?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome to the Burgman Forum! :)

I too looked at regular bikes...but the first time we saw the 400 in person, we both fell in love with it for:
1. the automatic--we've got a lot of stop-and-go traffic around here, especially during the summer months. We really want to "enjoy the ride"!
2. the big-bike size
3. the styling
4. the comfort
5. the storage space

We both learned how to ride a regular bike at the MSF course (highly recommended) so we can if we want to...But we're just having way too much fun on our Burgie! :D

Hope this helps--good luck with your decision,

Bryna

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My cousin rides a Buell Blast. Another cousin rides a Harley Road King. The rest are either Harley Raod Kings or your standard crotch rocket.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Burgman vs Motorcycle

I've been riding 39 years. Had many bikes - the last 9 yrs on a 92 BMW R100RT. before that Suzuki 850, Honda 750, 450, 160, .
I looked at a lot of different bikes to replace the Beemer. The Suzuki is a mini Goldwing without the excess weight and cost. It is very comfortable, the learning curve for a beginner should be much easier (no clutch). My wife and I enjoy 2 up riding. The Burgie is the smoothest, most comfortable bike I've owned. It has plenty of power - it has enough acceleration to keep up with most medium cruisers, and you won't be tired after an hour or so like on a sportbike. My friends looked at me weird until they saw the "scooter", and are impressed with it.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The Burgman 650 will embarrass both those Harley products on a curvy road. It will also dust them off at a stoplight. It ain't your father's scooter... If you buy it, you'll be giving those cousins a little education. :twisted:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have also ridden bikes for many years. I got in to the scooter after retiring when I bought an Aprillia 150. It was not big enough so I started looking again, concentrating on motorcycles. When I saw the Burgman, that did it and I have never looked back. I ride with a bunch of Harley types as well as other bike riders, always keep up. And, the best part is I seem to be less tired at the end of the ride.
One more thing, it attracts sweet young things, :lol: oh to be young and single again.
:D

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Emoebee77, you will take a little flak off they until they realize the 650 is a very nice "bike". Their bikes have nothing over the 650. Be a little different and don't sucked into the image thing.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I use mine to commute to work as well and I love it. The biggest thing I don't miss is carrying a backpack. With the trunk in the Burgman you can carry your briefcase , lunch and a change of clothes and still have room. Since you're doing night school there will be plenty of room for your books.

Also don't forget the enjoyment you will get when you can turn to your cousins and say "You just got dusted by a Scooter" :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
If you fell in love with the looks of the Burgman, then you should test ride one if the dealer will let you. I guarantee you will buy it then. You shouldn't worry about what your friends say about scooters. If you like it, then that is all that matters. They will really be eating their words about scooters when the Burgman leaves them sitting at a light, in the dust. Just my 2 cents worth. 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm new to motorcycle too!

Hello there!

I am also new to the motorcycle world, and bought the Burgman 650 as my first bike. I bought mine in Oct of 03. It took getting used to riding a motorcycle, the feel of how it moves, steers, accelerates.. etc. That would have been true regardless of what type of motorcycle I would have bought, but with the Burgman, I got to concentrate on controlling, riding and enjoying the bike, rather than clutch control and shifting (as a brand new rider there's enough things to think about! - I LOVE BEING ABLE TO TWIST & GO!). When I told my co-workers and friends that I bought a "scooter" they, of course, laughed and made jokes about it. When I pulled up to my office on the Burgman, you should have seen their faces! No more jokes or wisecracks. They were very impressed with the Burgman. When I popped the "trunk" open and showed them the storage space, their jaws hit the ground! The design of the Burgman allows for very comfortable riding. I've ridden 150+ miles non-stop at freeway speeds and walked away feeling pretty good, not all beat up by the wind. My friend that rides a Yamaha R-1 said that 150 miles of freeway riding on his bike would be uncomfortable because of the riding position and no wind protection. Now, I wouldn't know because I've never ridden a sportsbike, nor do I care to as long as I have my Burgman. Acceleration is quite good. I've kept right up with those riding big cruisers and some, I've even out-accelerated. It corners very well. I've been getting my confidence up the more I ride the bike, and I can take corners at fairly high speeds (I'm amazed at how much this thing will lean over on turns and feel solidly planted to the road). Overall, I'm very pleased that I chose the Burgman 650 as my first bike. If I had a choice to do it all over again, I'd pick the Burgman 650 again without reservation or hesitation.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Emoebee77 said:
...all of my friends who ride tell me to get a regular motorcycle and not waste my time on a "scooter". ...
For some reason, bikers get very passionate about the kind of bike they ride, and think everyone should follow their lead. Harley riders, who like bikes that look like they were designed in 1935, say "If it ain't a Harley, it ain't ****." Sport bike riders think anyone who doesn't sit on top of a crotch rocket just doesn't know what they're missing.

Can you imagine a Mustang owner telling an F-150 owner that he shouldn't have wasted his time buying a truck? Or a Cadillac owner telling a Corvette owner that he doesn't have a "real" car? But bikers do that kind of thing all the time.

Do your own thing, and don't try to follow the pack. I think you'll be happy with Big Burgman. I know I am.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't listen to what others tell you. The great thing about life is you can choose what you like. The others can just be jealous afterwards. Besides, who wants to be like everyone else?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
Brian said:
Harley riders, who like bikes that look like they were designed in 1935, say "If it ain't a Harley, it ain't ****."
Yah. They've been known to say that. So... who really wants a bike that [is] sh*t???? [paraphrased]
:lol: LOL!

I've never really thought about that particular turn of phrase before, but -- yeah -- that's what they're saying, isn't it...Harleys are feces.

·
Registered
103 Posts
another positive vote!

My experience may be a little different because I raced motocross for over 10 years but never owned a street bike of any kind - I thought they were too dangerous! ;-)

So, 20 years later, I'm in Italy and looking at how they commute. I see cars that teeny, tiny and guys and and women, all dressed in business suits like lawyers and bankers are all on Silverwings and Burgmans. Gets me thinking, ya' know. I don't wear a suit to work but I have to wear kinda nice "business casual" clothes. So, I go down to my Honda/Yamaha/Harley/Suzuki dealer because they've got a Silverwing and I wanted to check it out. I liked the SW but, parked next to it is the Suzuki and MAN! I had to spend an hour making sure that I was really seeing that much difference between these 2 scoots because my salesman said "they're the same price - take your pick". I've got only 350 miles on my 650 Burg so far because it's been raiing quite a bit and on some days I have to use my van to haul stuff but, let me be clear: I LOVE THIS THING!

I didn't know about the whole scooter thing, either. A full-size motorcyle was about the same price but, for commuting and carrying small items, the scooter was the way to go!

Same as the other guys, when you say "scooter" to most people, they are thinking Vespa. Then, they see the Burgie and they argue that it's not really a scooter. To be honest, I don't really care - until you've ridden one, you just can't know. Unless, you're the Harley rider looking at my taillights getting smaller and smaller. :lol:

·
Registered
611 Posts
They are just too busy self promoting thier bikes to justify their purchases - I say you should ignore them and get what you want. The 650 is heavier than the 400 and more powerful and steady, the 400 is lighter and easier to manuever. The 650 also has a good deal of engine braking which you'll need to get used to, but it is much smoother pulling away from a stop. Being able to test ride them would be great for you - because they are very different. But go with your gut feeling more than what anyone else says. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts