Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, gonna Install a new Battery and planing on a another Motobatt, 18AH for my Burgman 400,

NOW!! i,v read the Lithium Battery stuff, But seems kind of Suspicious that the price keeps dropping on them and 2-6 month Failures :confused:

Onless somebody up here own one for more then 2 years is the only way im gonna get one, Speaking of the Cold Weather Problems with those Lithium Batterys, and Etc,Etc

Let me know now, i,v plan to order a battery Today!!

Now my Motobatt ,installed now is still working except drains when the temps are 34 or under 38' and tested it it was a 10.5 AH now it only reads 4 AH.

Thanks Guys & Galls

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Get a standard battery.

Save the Lithium stuff for die hard, bleeding edge, technophiles.

Or for powering your flying, electric, car-of-the-future.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeap!! Well said, Thanks.

Regular battery it is....

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How much can I expect to pay for a standard battery ( 2005 400)?
I found Motobatt, $110

Some batts are cheaper $70-200

But i stay away from the cheap one,s

the Problem is finding one that Fit.
the 07 400, does not have much room for LENGTH '

But can fit HEIGHT' with no problem just have to Remove the front Cover.

I looked at the Odyssey on Topless, link batterymart.com

Elliott,

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
I found Motobatt, $110

Some batts are cheaper $70-200

But i stay away from the cheap one,s

the Problem is finding one that Fit.
the 07 400, does not have much room for LENGTH '

But can fit HEIGHT' with no problem just have to Remove the front Cover.

I looked at the Odyssey on Topless, link batterymart.com

Elliott,
Don't buy a battery based on the price, buy it based on specifications. There are very few companies that product batteries. They make the exact same battery for many people who put their own label on it. A $40 battery at one place could well be the $100 battery at another. I once peeled the label off of a very expensive OEM John Deere battery and found an Interstate battery label underneath. They should have at least peeled off the original label.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
$100 for a battery for a 400.....??????? I got a replacement battery at my dealer for $49.00.........!!!!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
There also safety concerns with Lithium Batteries. They are known to blow up under certain conditions.
Really? Maybe supply us with a scientific link proving this......my house has blown up 3 times in the last 5 years since I started running Lithium polymer batteries on my 1/8 scale RC's but I didn't YouTube or start a blog about it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lithium batteries require a much lower charge rate than lead acid or gell batteries. They do overheat when charged too fast. Example: Boeing 787.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Lithium batteries require a much lower charge rate than lead acid or gell batteries. They do overheat when charged too fast. Example: Boeing 787.
Actually, Lithium batteries can be charged as fast or faster than Pb batteries. It all depends on the physical construction of the cell's electrodes and the particular Li chemistry used. They simply require a different charge profile. Pb batteries have the useful characteristic that their internal resistance (IR) increases as the battery approaches a full state of charge which limits that charging current at full charge. Li batteries have very low IR and this IR has a relatively small dependence on state of charge, Li chargers typically use a charger with dual constraints. It has a voltage limit (typically 4.2 time the # of cells in series) and a current limit (typically somewhere between 1C and 5C, C being the battery's ampacity). Initially the current limit controls the rate of charge. Gradually the charging voltage seen at the battery terminals increases until it equals, approiximately, the voltage limit. Now the current gradually decreases as the battery terminal voltage approaches the supply voltage. The battery is considered fully charged once any one of its cells reaches 4.2V (4.21V in some circles). During this entire process, individual cells are monitored and their individual charging current is adjusted to maintain overall balance in the battery assembly. Sounds complicated and engineering a charger for LiPo batteries pretty much is complicated. Using one is not much more difficult than any other charging system.

Thus the reason for my first post in this thread. Unless you want to take the trouble to figure out the ins and outs of safely charging and using Li batteries, they don't make much sense in a scooter application. If you really want to save a couple of pounds, it's probably easier to go on a diet. I suppose if you want to rock the neighborhood, LiPo's might provide you the ability to install a subwoofer based sound system that could blow out car windows as you pass by.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Lithium batteries require a much lower charge rate than lead acid or gel batteries. They do overheat when charged too fast. Example: Boeing 787.
I see Boeing Updated the Box that held the Lithium Cells, Kind of Odd that this was done unless there are always gonna be Problems in the future, Lithium seems to work for small Applications, like Phones and Small Devices ,But No Good for Big Applications, Such as Cars and Bikes, Maybe next 5 years i will Purchase one But it's to early now.

There have been some Improvements Such as Voltage Management Circuitry ,But No Heating Elements inside as of Yet to Come on when the temp Drops below 39 Degrees.

In some cases even with the Charger that came with the Battery ,The battery still failed.

I agree with Chatman128, On the weight , Why is it Such a big deal, Can understand Motocross Racing where the bikes have to Make Jumps, It would be a good Application, But for Street & Highway, You could be right about the Charging System, It could be the reasons for Lithium battery Failure if your not using more voltage from the Battery, Then the Older Charging System would Over charge the Lithium Cells.

So far i found Lots of Negative Post on the Lithium batteries everywhere on the Web, Everything from Did not last 2-6 Months, to Won't hold a Charge, In some cases People could not even get an exchange or Refund Stuck with a Box with Fancy Graphics on the Labels, And Lies on the AH Rating's saying it so pose to last Longer then Standard Battery's

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Lithium batteries are great, I use them in my radio control planes. However, they require a special charging circuit and VERY nasty things happen if they are overcharged or punctured. SOP is to charge them in an ammo box or special fireproof sack. I don't think I would put one in my Burgman....

Ray

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Nope no Typo, It's a more expensive

Seen other lithium Brands that's $1,000 or More,

Well my NEW! battery just arrived!! real Heavy then the Old Motobatt

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well my NEW! battery just arrived!! real Heavy then the Old Motobatt

New! Battery MB16U 12v 270 CCA 20AH installed

Wow started up very fast.

Had a hard time installing the battery becuze of the HEIGHT of 6.28
took me about 75 Minutes just to get it in.

So if you guys plan on installing a Bigger Battery better do the Math first!

Why i was looking i happened to find a Vacuum Leak on the Throttle Assembly a little Rubber Hose not sure how long it's been there But Spotted it and fixed it, Seems to run better now!!

have a great Day All?

Elliott,

[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts