Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do my own 600 mile maint. I did the oil change last night. All I noticed on the oil filter was blue gasket seal residue. Guess that is normal. I went to do the final drive oil and could not figure out how to get the big black cover off. Do I need to take this off to change the fluid? Also is the final drive oil the same as the transmission oil? I did read that the final drive oil is 10w40. Do I need to change it now or wait until the book says like 4 0r 5k? Also where is the tranny breather tube you are supposed do dump fluid out of once and a while. I have had a few scooters in my time but none were this covered up by body panels. I can hardly see anything.

How do those body clips work. Do you pry out the center piece or get behind it an push from backside? Thanks for any help.

I am going to take it to the steeler next tues for the valve adj. They quoted me 85.00. How does that sound?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I changed the oil at 850 miles and I am waiting on the transmission oil. Will do it at 3500 and also have them look at the valves. That's my plan, hope all works out. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Mark - This is for an old burger so there may be design changes I am not aware of, so proceed with caution:

At 12months/12000 miles

On Centre Stand
Remove left side leg shield
Remove clutch outer cover (5 bolts - IIRC they are all different lengths so record what came from where).
Place suitable recepticle below the drain plug (lower of the 2),
Remove oil level plug (top one of 2).
Remove drain plug and catch the oil.

Once draining is complete

Replace drain plug (Torque 12Nm).

Through oil level plug add 190ml of SAE 10W/40.
Check level - if it is below the level hole add little by little until you positively see oil flowing out of the level hole.

Replace level plug (same torque as above).

Replace clutch outer cover and left side leg shield.

I can find no reference to the transmission breather in the service manual and would be grateful to anyone who can tell me about this too! The only breather I am aware of is from the crankcase, via the air filter housing, where there are drain collection tubes.

Mark if you are going to do your own servicing I would recommend you purchase the Suzuki Service manual, it is a sound investment and will give you some assurance that you are tackling these activities correctly (and probably a whole load better than many dealer outfits).

Hope this is helpful to you.

NormanB

PS: While you have the leg shield off you will be as well to clean the cooling fan filter too!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Mark Mettler said:
How do those body clips work. Do you pry out the center piece or get behind it an push from backside? Thanks for any help.
Your push the center pin IN until it clicks (not very far). I use a small Phillips head screwdriver to do it. After you pull the fastener out, push the pin back so that it is sticking slightly out of the top of the fastener - I think it clicks again. After you reinstall the fastener, just push the pin down so that it is flush with the head of the fastener - a finger nail will work.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
garyw0cki said:
I changed the oil at 850 miles and I am waiting on the transmission oil. Will do it at 3500 and also have them look at the valves. That's my plan, hope all works out. :lol:
Shouldn't the transmission oil be changed as part of first service? If so, you'll be riding around with a lot of metal debris floating in the transmission that shouldn't be there.

First service is the most important, and should be done as close to 600 miles as is possible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great info.

Please clear up one last thing. Is the transmission a different area than the final drive. Or is the final drive the transmission? Are these two seperate things?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Thanks for all the great info.

Mark Mettler said:
Please clear up one last thing. Is the transmission a different area than the final drive. Or is the final drive the transmission? Are these two seperate things?
They are one and the same.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Thanks for all the great info.

NormanB said:
Mark Mettler said:
They are one and the same.
Sorry for the confusion. I own a 650, and with that model they are different compartments. Three places to change oil on a 650 - only two I gather on the 400.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I changed the final drive oil on my 400 at around 800kms.
It looked pretty dirty (dark grey color), if I waited until 12000kms,
as per manual, I don't think it is good for the gears inside.
Somebody told me this once, it never hurts to change the oil.
Especially we are talking about 190ml.

I get very confuse too somtimes.
So I think is a good idea to put 400 or 650 when posting.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
philtag6000 said:
I changed the final drive oil on my 400 at around 800kms.
{snipped]
I get very confuse too somtimes.
So I think is a good idea to put 400 or 650 when posting.

I am afraid this happens to the best of forums, either by habit, unfamilarity or just because General is the most read subject area - posts tend to gravitate here.

On some forums moderators shift posts to the right area but this is an irksome task

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
On some forums moderators shift posts to the right area but this is an irksome task
It also depends on the software. With this phpBB software, it is fairly easy to move an entire thread to a different category. I've done that a few times. But we tend to drift on and off topic a lot (I'm doing so right now...), and to separate selected posts from a thread and move them to another category is very tough. I tried it once, and the results were not exactly what I had in mind... :roll:

I'm happy to move a whole thread if a member requests it, and the request seems logical - just PM me. Allan (Allwalk) has done the same thing occassionally, and can also be approached for assistance with this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am looking at the AN 400 maintenance chart, page 40 of the owners manual. It clearly states that the engine oil and filter is to be changed at 600 miles. As for the final gear oil, it recommends replacement at 7500 miles. That's also what a dealer told me. Am I missing something not shown in the owners manual?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
garyw0cki said:
...Am I missing something not shown in the owners manual?
Probably not.

I'm not familiar with the 400s, which is why I stated my comment as a question: "Shouldn't the transmission oil be changed as part of first service??"

When in doubt, go by the manual. That's my philosophy, anyway.

On the 600s the final gear oil should be changed at 600, 7500,15000, etc.
The transmission oil should be changed at the same times, but also inspected (and replaced if needed) at 4000, 11000, etc.

The engine oil is replaced at all of those intervals.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Gary

You are correct both my owners and service manual agree at 7500 miles as the first change on the final drive oil - with no specified attention at 600.

However, it could be worth an early look, at say 3000 miles just to satisfy yourself all is well by looking at the state of the oil that comes out.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'd recommend changing it as it appears that some of the 400's came from the factory with gear oil rather than motor oil. Not much trouble doing it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
650 first service myself

I plan on doing the 600 service myself, and your forum has been a great help. The gallery pictures has taken a lot of the mystery on how to get to the drain plug and filler for the engine/trans and the rear gear.

My question is on the gear oil in the rear. The owners manual says SAE90 rated GL-5, but no indication on how much?

Any guidance on this would be helpful, as I hope to do the maintenance tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: 650 first service myself

drspencer48 said:
My question is on the gear oil in the rear. The owners manual says SAE90 rated GL-5, but no indication on how much?
300ml. And you can't really forget, because it's stamped right on the gear cover.

HTH.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts