Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took apart the front of the B650 to install a horn. I was going to remove the headlight a reason that I forget. Instead I mistakenly unaligned one headlight.

What is the best way to realign it? Only one headlight (the right side) needs adjustment.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Most headlights have a turn-able adjustment knob or wheel. Some are easier to turn or access than others. Some older vehicles don't and can only be adjusted using a screwdriver against the correct bolt adjustment.

I usually align headlights inside the garage with the door closed and the bike (I have multiple) either on the centre stand or a race stand depending on which bike I'm working on. With garage door closed it's darker inside than out, and the door itself provides a reference point since it has vertical lines allowing me to compare the height of one headlight to another or the relative height etc. Otherwise if I'm out riding and decide adjustment is needed on the fly, I try to find an upright flat light coloured surface and use any natural landmarks as reference points etc. to gauge any adjustments made. I always adjust so there is enough throw of the high beam into the distance ahead.
Blocking one headlight versus the other on a twin headlight configuration sometimes is needed to ascertain a lights relative spread versus the other etc.
YMMV.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BikerDoc
When in the garage, the farther the bike is from the door, the more spread the beam will have. How far would give good results and I'm guessing the one I need to adjust is the high beam? Do both beams need to be parallel to each other or offset? From 4 ft away, Do the beams Need to be slightly apart with space in between?
I tried adjusting and now when I pull up behind a car, I notice that one beams back in a way I did not notice before.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maybe you can find some one in your area that has a Burgman and you could get them to bring their bike over and try to match the pattern of their lights as compared to yours. Someone on this forum may be in your area if you had your city listed. I would be willing to do it if you were in my area.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks BikerDoc
When in the garage, the farther the bike is from the door, the more spread the beam will have.

How far would give good results and I'm guessing the one I need to adjust is the high beam?
I usually have the bike positioned approximately 4-6' away from the surface I'm using to gauge any adjustment. But whatever distance works for the situation, as I have been known to adjust headlights while out on a ride and probably don't worry too much about how far the bike is from the surface being used, within reason. For example, with my new 650TR I bought several months ago, I was not happy with the standard twin headlight OEM H8 35W Halogen bulbs, but tried to adjust the beam levels to compensate numerous times (sometimes in the garage and sometimes out while riding), as well as buying and trying different bulbs (LEDs etc). In the end, I decided to go with HIDs and I am glad I did. The install was much easier than on some of the other bikes I own. You can read about the upgrade/install here > http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/s...logen-HID-headlight-upgrade&p=65100#post65100

Do both beams need to be parallel to each other or offset?
That's a matter of personal preference as well as how the headlights are designed. For example, my AN650K3 in NZ has only one headlight illuminating on low beam, which is somewhat similar to the 650TR mentioned above. I'm not fond of the configuration personally for the same reasons I discuss in the mychinamoto.com thread.

My AN650K7 here in mainland China, has both headlights illuminated on both high and low beam. This works much better, as there is not as significant a black spot while cornering as there is on the AN650K3. Big difference.

With both the AN650K3 and AN650K7 (actually all my bikes) I've adjusted the low beam so that it illuminates to about the level of the height of a standard car boot lid (trunk lid if your using American English) when sitting on the bike. Meaning if I was to stop the scoot behind a car the top of the low beam will be about the height of the top edge of the stationary cars boot lid (trunk lid) in front. Seems to be a reliable reference point. Mind you this is a standard setup I use on most bikes when I'm riding solo without a pillion.

From 4 ft away, Do the beams Need to be slightly apart with space in between?
You should not need to alter any of the horizontal throw. Actually most headlight design configurations only have adjustment along the vertical axis, though this is not always the case. I'm thinking the Burgman only has the vertical adjustment wheel/dial, as I don't recall any adjustment wheel for the horizontal? Another factor will be on the bulb/filament design as much as it is about the headlight reflector.
Different bulbs and brands can have different spread patterns as well. If your AN650 has both headlights illuminating on low beam, you should find that both beams overlap somewhat. Another factor is which market your bike is for, since the headlight reflectors will differ if the scoot is destined for riding on the LHS versus RHS of a roadway.

I tried adjusting and now when I pull up behind a car, I notice that one beams back in a way I did not notice before.
As detailed above, if you are adjusting for the low beam so that it throws the top of the beam onto a cars boot lid (trunk lid) while sitting on the bike etc., then I think you should be pretty good to go. What I've found most of the time, when I use this method, the result is that the low beam is high enough to illuminate far enough ahead while riding to compensate for the local conditions (really important in mainland China, where roads have multiple users, including cyclists, electric bikes and eScooters most of whom don't use lights at night, as well as pedestrians who often wear dark clothing [expats joke.complain about the country being a logic free zone!!!]) without startling other drivers too much. This also makes the headlights more noticeable when used on low beam during the day, as the bikes movement over varying road surfaces allows the beam to 'bounce' a little higher momentarily which provides a little glare for a split second, hopefully enough to better provide a visual cue to other road users.

The final point is that my method as outlined in terms of determining an appropriate height for the low beam, thereby determines the high beam height too as appropriate for the headlight configuration. Usually this means the high beam is high enough so that it illuminates far off ahead, like a pencil beam spotlight would be set up (e.g. as set on rally cars). This approach though does require better than standard 60/55W Halogen as the amount of lumens on these are too low IMO. I have a minimum of 100/90W Halogen or better on the vehicles/bikes I've not converted to HID Xenons.

Hope this is helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts