Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a squeal coming from the bike. Any help would be great.

[youtube:3objf5g3]iYUBlqhM2t0[/youtube:3objf5g3]

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
sorry to say, but that sounds a lot like the CVT bearing going out on you...

hard to diagnose anything by just sound... but I would stop riding it, drop the CVT and check the
primary pulley bearing, hopefully the primary pulley shaft hasn't been chewed up and suffered the
dreaded step wear.

other culprits can be a sticky caliper/rotor combo...

I am guessing that the rear wheel bearings are in good shape.

my std 04 started making the same squealing sound now and then about 10k or so before a
complete belt / CVT failure.

I had also rebuilt my clutch about 4k miles prior to the CVT / Belt failure....

all the best...

·
Administrator
18,364 Posts
How's it sound on the right side? You said that you changed the fluids. Did it make this noise before or just after? Any more noise coming from the CVT exhaust port?

That grease on the cover is the CVT's input shaft cover.

Read thru this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57574

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Same noise my '03 made before it totally failed with 26K miles on it. The noise started around 22K miles. http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22461&hilit=+chirp

Here's another poster with the same problem and he had a video as well. http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58899 LeDude's at least made it to over 50K miles.

You have the left lower cover off so I'd suggest pulling the little stamped cover off in the photo below and see if the noise is coming from in there.

Your cost of parts alone to repair the CVT will be about $1,000.00 (primary pulley assembly, bearings, and seals) to $1,600.00 (primary pulley assembly, bearings, seals, outer CVT case, and CVT belt) if you or a friend do the labor yourself. With your mileage I would suspect you'd be at the lower end of the repair parts cost. Wish it were better news but at least you know what it is.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
It does sound like it might be the CVT primary shaft bearing. As MJR suggested, located the cover and try to determine if the sound is coming from there. A stereoscope is a good tool to have in you kit for this but if you don't have one a length of broom handle or a screwdriver can substitute. Put one end against the cover and the other to you ear. Listen at a few other places on the engine and see where the sound is the loudest.

I suspect you will find it is loudest at that cover but if it is back near the clutch area double check to be sure you have filled the transmission correctly. If not it could be one of the bearings in there squeaking.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
with a bit of luck it is just the primary pulley bearing that has gone bad and you have caught it in time to save your Primary Pulley and Belt.

You won't know for sure until you take the CVT Assembly out and inspect the different parts / elements inside of it.

If it is just the primary pulley bearing, you are looking at a $100.00 or so repair bill, to replace the bearing and a few seals and o-rings.

If the Primary Pulley Shaft is damaged, chewed up, suffered the dreaded step wear, your cost will go up a bit, by about $600.00 or so.

Hopefully the belt is in good shape and won't need replacing, but if it does, add another $300.00 to the repair bill...

My 04 started making a similar squealing sound at around 30k miles or so, I made the mistake of ignoring it as it would only manifest
itself occasionally, by the 53k miles mark, my belt and primary pulley were toast.

It may be a prudent preventive maintenance task for all 03/04 owners to change their CVT Primary Pulley Bearing around the 25k miles or so.

but all of this is pure conjecture on our parts... dropping the CVT sounds like a daunting task but it really isn't, just time consuming.

you can read about my experience in this DIY which pretty much documents my experiencel: DIY - CVT Repairs

I am going to put the scoot back together next week and see what happens...

a few pics of my old bearing and new one...

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Although it may be possible to tear it apart and it just be the bearing it's my guess that by the time an owner notices a problem it's already too late to save the primary pulley assembly. I believe the noise is actually caused by the shaft slipping on the inner race (not spinning so much as moving back/forth like two pieces of metal making noise). This action essentially increasing end play by wearing the shaft down. This is the point at which most owners either will fix it themselves using LeDude's info as a guide or decide to buy a new bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts